How To Know If The Dog Is In Pain?

Mick, 9yo Miniature Pinscher, was born with a deformed elbow which has always restricted the movement of that leg. He has never put full weight on it although still using it. My Vet advised that arthritis may set in. There is muscle wastage in that shoulder from not using the leg fully. Over recent months he has been limping more noticeably and he has been on injections, various meds (Metacam, etc) none of which have lessened the limping. Vet cannot get any pain reaction in the area. Mick is not showing any signs of pain, carrying the leg, shaking, reaction to manipulation, etc. He runs flat out, just not putting full weight on the leg (can see the different imprint in wet soil). I feel that the muscle wastage could be the reason for the limp. After resting for some time it seems worse but once he gets moving the limp isn't so bad. Don't want to keep trying different meds due to the side affects but also don't want him suffering pain. So question is - what other signs would there be of pain? He's still his usual nutty self, just this limp.

if there is a deformity - ie: the leg does not work /is a different size - well, yes, he will limp and you may well be right about the cause . Is he in pain ? No idea . if he carries on as normal .. then obviously it isn't bothering him all that much - he is used to it ...

Licking at the paw, even the foot would also be a sign of pain. Pain could be coming from the back, spinal area, not the leg itself. If you are looking for pain in the leg, but it is originating in the back, not going to find it in the leg. Having said that I also agree with Persephone, if the dog is carrying on as normal and does not appear to be in any real pain, then sometimes just letting him carry on as normal is the best solution. I agree that muscle wastage would be caused by not weight baring, consulting with an animal physiotherapist would give good advice in relation to that, but that would assume you had access to one nearby, or could do so via those that are willing to do online consultations. I would also agree with the vet that arthritis would very likely set in and possibly already has. I would have him on glucosamine supplements and also on catrophen or similar injections, if that is not already happening. If you are not seeing a difference with anti inflammatory I would not use them, as they do have side effects, similarly with other pain med's. It is about balancing out the risks. I would not leave a dog in pain, and would rather risk side effects if they assist with the pain, but equally if they are not working, then why use them.

Edited by Brookestar

Thanks for the replies. Pers, I think I'm just looking for reassurance lol. I don't think he's in pain but when he limps I wonder. Brookestar, we have tried the catrophen, 3 courses, no difference, supplements, Joint Guard, etc. pain meds.no results. He is on Joint Guard still as I figure even if not going any good, won't do any harm. Vet doesn't think he's in pain, maybe some twinges occasionally. I have a great chiro/Vet some distance away and will take Mick for a visit when my health allows the drive as perhaps a muscle going over might help. Wish these dogs could talk lol.

ETA only time he licks his legs/feet is when he accidently pees on it!

Edited by pebbles

It is likely the majority of the pain is functional or habitual and he is not experiencing much if any pain at all, other than slight or occasional.

You sound like an astute owner, you will know when he is experiencing difficulties.

Another test for pain is to give an appropriate NSAID. If the medication results in a general rise in energy and a more cheerful dog, it's likely the dog was in pain. Not a foolproof test . . . it's still possible that the painkillers weren't effective. But generally, if painkillers don't seem to be doing any good, there's little point in giving them.

Thanks for the replies. I'm still not really convinced he is in pain, tried a number of different NSAIDs. supplements, etc with my Vets approval and there's no results. He can race around like looney when he sees something to chase but he rests a fair bit too, then again he's not a pup anymore. I do wonder when we go for a walk, sometimes he's reluctant to keep going so I've been carrying him for a while then he wants to get down again. SO - being a 'crazy dog lady" I found a child's pusher which Mick thinks is great. (Oh boy, the neighbours lol) He dashes around (on lead) for a distance then stops, hops in the pusher, rides along like King Muck until he reckons it time for another run. post-654-0-60439200-1429093259_thumb.jpg

Mick, 9yo Miniature Pinscher, was born with a deformed elbow which has always restricted the movement of that leg. He has never put full weight on it although still using it. My Vet advised that arthritis may set in. There is muscle wastage in that shoulder from not using the leg fully. Over recent months he has been limping more noticeably and he has been on injections, various meds (Metacam, etc) none of which have lessened the limping. Vet cannot get any pain reaction in the area. Mick is not showing any signs of pain, carrying the leg, shaking, reaction to manipulation, etc. He runs flat out, just not putting full weight on the leg (can see the different imprint in wet soil). I feel that the muscle wastage could be the reason for the limp. After resting for some time it seems worse but once he gets moving the limp isn't so bad. Don't want to keep trying different meds due to the side affects but also don't want him suffering pain. So question is - what other signs would there be of pain? He's still his usual nutty self, just this limp.

Hi, you know when a dog has pain, he wouldn't be running around like a nut, it may be a bit tender sometimes especially now winter is coming in the morning it may be a bit stiff......When my boy steps on a bindi he stops walking & will not walk so I have to look at all his paws & check them all, the other day he must of twisted his paw or something & just stopped walking, I looked for a bindi & there was no bindi so I stopped walking for about 10mins & lightly massaged his paw & leg then he was right again to walk, give his elbow a light massage, if it hurts he wont let you massage it, if it feels good he will keep letting you massage the elbow....

Thanks for the replies. I'm still not really convinced he is in pain, tried a number of different NSAIDs. supplements, etc with my Vets approval and there's no results. He can race around like looney when he sees something to chase but he rests a fair bit too, then again he's not a pup anymore. I do wonder when we go for a walk, sometimes he's reluctant to keep going so I've been carrying him for a while then he wants to get down again. SO - being a 'crazy dog lady" I found a child's pusher which Mick thinks is great. (Oh boy, the neighbours lol) He dashes around (on lead) for a distance then stops, hops in the pusher, rides along like King Muck until he reckons it time for another run. post-654-0-60439200-1429093259_thumb.jpg

perfect :)

perfect :)

Smart dog, I wish someone would push me back home, Patch will walk & walk then we are both tired to walk back home, I was going to buy one of those kids carts that you put on the back of a push bike & I ride my bike along side Patch then I put Patch in the cart behind my bike & we ride back home I think he'd like that..