Training Treats

I make the salmon or tuna fudge, and I use ground oats, rice flour or coconut flour easily. I also find a little bit of parmesan cheese and fresh parsley works really well.

I also recently discovered the Nature's Gift Tuna and Cheese cat treats - they're really tiny, and make great, easy training treats!

Liver. Throw the whole thing in the oven for an hour, cool, chop into small squares. Not messy at all and the dogs go nuts for it.

I slice my liver thinly then bake & cut into 1cm cubes. Smells the kitchen out, but the dogs love it :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

A really cheap treat, but my girl LOVES it. I buy a pack of chicken hearts from Woolies and bake them for about 1/2 hour. I cut them up into small bite size pieces and then freeze them in different packages, enough for one training session. I just grab them out of the freezer when needed.

Horrible Herbert would like ya'll to know he is available for adoption to eat any of those treats ans says you have his word he is not gassy with cheese....

No Mam, no gas with cheese.

:thumbsup:

Why do I not believe you? (ps Scottie says to tell you he isn't farty with cheese - tuna on the other hand - phew!)

• 2 weeks later...

Got some chunkers. Hamish seems to like them so that's good. Woah they smell extremely garlicky though I couldn't see it listed as an ingredient. confused.gif

I fry up blade steak, cut it into little pieces and freeze it in bags.

The dogs go nuts for it, I know what's in it and I will, if necessary, put it in my mouth (sure wouldn't with some stuff).

It also doesn't fall apart and it's pretty cost effective. :)

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I thought I'd BBQ up some Kanga Bangers. Kangaroo sausages. When cold I cut them all up really small & bagged them up into sandwich bags & popped them in the freezer.

Gosh they were a hit. Dogs went nuts for them. They are excellent as they are low fat & no preservatives. Winner !!!

I'm a bit paranoid about feeding sausage after a Vet told me they're a leading cause of pancreatitis. I think because most sausages are high in fat?

I'd been feeding them as treats too and mentioned it. I have a feeling the biggest problem might be dogs suddenly getting lots of sausage at BBQs etc but it did freak me out a little.

I cannot do offal for any reason. I cannot do liver without gagging. But the Tuna Cat treats sound like a go - I always thought cat food was bad for dogs. So I've learned something.

I have been giving Ol' Fart Boy tiny cheese cubes and I can attest that there has been no discernible difference in the gas emissions.

Edited by Stressmagnet

This is a quote from this months CleanRun Mag:

If you want to have a low cal treat that is easy to store & carry, make flavoured Cheerios. Take two cups of Cheerios of similar, add to that half a hot dog cut into tiny pieces. Put the lot in a plastic bag & shake to distribute. Leave it in the fridge overnight & by morning you will have lots of tiny hot dog flavoured Cheerios (they shrink for some reason)

Apparantly dogs love them, but I havn't tried it myself...sounds interesting. Uncle Tobies make Cheerios. :)

I don't like to fuss around with treats - keep it simple IMO! I also like to make sure that my dogs will work for a variety of food rewards - obviously some types of food is more practical than others, but I often just grab whatever is convenient to use for training treats. If it takes any more prep than cutting it up (and I will often grab a handful of raw mince to use as food for training lol) then I'm unlikely to use it, LOL

Jar of peanut butter. They actually don't get that much once they've licked the top into a hollow but Jake finds it inspirational.plus he has a lovely shiny coat.

For my friends more Obedient dogs a teaspoon in a ziplock bag with a handful of kibble works well.

Edited by hankdog