Calcium Supplementing During Pregnancy

murmarstaffs

Hi everyone, it's been a while since we've been on.

In discussion with a fellow breeder about bitches stopping contracting during labour, resulting in cesarean for the bitch. They have been advised by their vet to supplement calcium at least 2 weeks before whelping to help with the contracting.

Now everything I've looked up has said the opposite and saying it will increase the risk of eclampsia except for a greyhound forum that is for it but the post was 5 years ago.

Any advice would be appreciated so I can pass it on.

Millie

No, never before they start. Giving calcium beforehand can certainly greatly increase the risk of eclampsia. However, giving calcium during labor (once in active labor and generally after first pup is born and between every pup) is when it is generally recommended to help with contractions etc. Calcium Citrate is an excellent form to give as it doesn't need to be given with food (Citracal is one brand - I get the one without the added Vit D). Many in the US use Tums. This is the advice I have seen given by most experienced repro people.

the other thing I should add is to be aware that stopping labor part way through - if the bitch is happy, not stressed etc etc - is that it could be a 'whelping pause'. Bitches will sometimes take a 'rest' in the middle of whelping. This is actually normal. Unfortunately many seem to mistake this for an issue and end up with an unnecessary cesarian. Google 'whelping pause' and you should be able to read more about that. Myra Savant Harris for one has written a fair bit about it - we are encouraged to 'watch the bitch and not the clock'.