The Challenge: Who's Got The Fastest Dog In Australia?

Kirislin

Ha Ha, I was pretty wrapt when I saw Ebon had won the Unregistered large veterans and then found he was the only entry :laugh: He did beat all the labs and golden retrievers though (the breeds of which he is a cross) and most of the border collies as well (just for bragging rights in flyball)

Reggie the fastest Australian Shepherd in Australia!!!! (And slowest.. there were no other Aussies entered but don't tell her laugh.gif)

19638325980_fde7311551_z.jpg

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reggie the fastest Australian Shepherd in Australia!!!! (And slowest.. there were no other Aussies entered but don't tell her

congratulations, enjoy it because I suspect she will have some competition next year! Great action shot too. :thumbsup:

Yes I suspect so too! Had a few friends with Aussies who couldn't make it this year. We will have to get training to defend it haha!

Well done to Ebon too! I'm surprised at the low number of veterans!

• 3 months later...

I just read this whole thread, it looks like fun! I hope it runs again next year locally :o

Could someone describe the set up for me? Like, do they give enough space that the dogs are not distracted by the watching people? Where does the owner go? I think I could quite easily put her in a stand then walk to the finish line and call her but not so sure movement would happen if she has to run away from me after a lure if strangers are watching (not very inclined to stray).

She recalls like a rocket XD

I just read this whole thread, it looks like fun! I hope it runs again next year locally :o

Could someone describe the set up for me? Like, do they give enough space that the dogs are not distracted by the watching people? Where does the owner go? I think I could quite easily put her in a stand then walk to the finish line and call her but not so sure movement would happen if she has to run away from me after a lure if strangers are watching (not very inclined to stray).

the set up varies from club to club, but all run a 100mt straight course, usually after a drag lure. It would be best to go to some fun days before hand to get her used to chasing the lure. Some people get one person to release their dog and the owner goes up to the end so the dog chases. It's not ideal, we like them to chase the actual lure rather than just be running back to their owner but sometimes it's the only way they can get them to run. It was the first time our club hosted the event, it's only a new competition (been running 2 years) but growing in popularity as you can imagine. :D

Edited by Kirislin

the set up varies from club to club, but all run a 100mt straight course, usually after a drag lure. It would be best to go to some fun days before hand to get her used to chasing the lure. Some people get one person to release their dog and the owner goes up to the end so the dog chases. It's not ideal, we like them to chase the actual lure rather than just be running back to their owner but sometimes it's the only way they can get them to run. It was the first time our club hosted the event, it's only a new competition (been running 2 years) but growing in popularity as you can imagine. :D

Hahah I think some performance anxiety might happen if I'm too far away but I'm checking out the rhodesian ridgeback lure club in Vic. Got to puzzle out the timing though, all their events are at the same time as our obedience classes!

Hey! I got some photos of Reggie on the weekend!!

After seeing this I just figured out who you are and hunted down your photos haha! Thank you so much for coming over here and taking photos they are fantastic!!

thanks, I had fun, although it was pretty tiring. If we go next year I wont drive home straight after the event like I did this time. Too hard driving into the night. And next year I want to bring Neko too. Maybe just for the straight racing on day 1. I thought your club did really well with the organisation of it all. Not an easy thing to host. :thumbsup:

Glad you enjoyed it! We had a few troubles with the lure on Sunday, (it ran perfectly the month before!) but overall I think it went relatively smoothly. :)

Yes I have done that drive in the opposite direction for a 2 day dog training seminar and it is amazingly exhausting!

Can't wait to meet Neko next year ????

I would love to have seen a Saluki there or an Afghan would have been pretty awesome as well.

I don't think those larger sighthounds would be hitting full stride in 100 metres - they'd still be winding up!!

This is an important point. 100 metres on a straight tells you nothing about the ability of an Afghan or a Saluki. Afghans are the all terrain vehicle of sighthounds. Their advantage comes from their strength and agility not their speed. IOW you can't usefully compare a top shelf 4WD to a Ferrari. To really see an Afghan's advantages, you need to put them on a field that has a lot of natural obstacles. I have watched our Afghans jump sure footedly from rock to rock on bushwalks but on a straight they are not going to beat most greyhounds. A Saluki is a long distance breed. When all the other sighthounds have fallen away at 800 meters a good Saluki is just picking up speed.

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

No worries. I was replying more to SSM's comment. 100 metres on a straight tells us nothing about the ability of a corgi, or beagle or just about any other breed either.

We're getting salukis, borzois, afghans, wolfhounds, deerhounds, greyhounds as well as herding and mixed breeds coming to our fun days quite alot now and the grounds we run on only allow us to run the drag a bit over100mts. They just like to let their dogs have a run.

You only have to scroll through our last fun day pics to see the variety of breeds we are getting. It's great!

Edited by Kirislin

I would love to see an afghan or saluki at full stretch in their element. Are there any set ups that are suited for the larger sighthounds to excel in?

probably only on private property at this stage. :( Finding an enormous safe dog proof fenced area is difficult.

I would love to see an afghan or saluki at full stretch in their element. Are there any set ups that are suited for the larger sighthounds to excel in?

Yes, NSW and QLD are running ANKC recognised lure coursing on complete courses. I am not sure where Victoria is at with setting up lure coursing but there will be an official ANKC trial as far south as Yass next year, run by NSW.

A note about fencing because I have a feeling that field selection is causing issues for people. The fencing on the field we have been using in NSW is not complete and not higher than stock fencing. So far we've found that most dogs are so focussed on the bag that they don't wander off and those that do run off the field are usually running back to find their owner or their crate. And this is with the herding sheep in the next paddock. While it's likely that people with dogs who would be at a major risk of doing a bunk are self-selecting out of running their dogs on the course, most people have been pleasantly surprised at how well it's working. And in Europe they run on all sorts of fields with no fences at all.

We have been out scouting fields for next season, there are a lot of country race tracks and show grounds out there that are disused most of the year - we're finding most are not suitable for various reasons (dangerous rubbish, too small, too close to highways, show trust wants your first born for a deposit etc) but for every 9 that aren't suitable, there is 1 that is.

I would love my Cedro to do this but I think if there was any kind of scent on the ground Id loose him.

He is very fast when there is a scent to follow and you get the singing as a bonus!

We've had one very successful little Beagle running but apart from that no other scenthounds. The Beagle is a pro and has never sniffed around. We are used to the vocal dogs, there are a couple of Lappies who have a word to the lure the whole way around :D

I would love my Cedro to do this but I think if there was any kind of scent on the ground Id loose him.

He is very fast when there is a scent to follow and you get the singing as a bonus!

He might surprise you....then again perhaps not, but we had beagles and a basset in the Fastest Dog in Australia comp and all kept their minds on the lure and didn't stray. We regularly get the basset attending and he's never taken off and gone where he shouldn't.