Labrador Outside

Blackdog10

Thanks lab tested I can't wait till he settles I hope you are right. After 45 min of being really loud yelping and banging in his crate he was then quiet for 20mins and just started howling and banging again now. I'm so upset I've not gone out to him. It's just so hard. I know it'll make it worse. How do people do this. I'm so on edge, not a wink of sleep even before the howling as I'm so worried about him. Having him sleep inside on a bed isn't an option for us. I'm picturing your labby sleeping sound and just praying it happens for my little guy soon. He must be so unhappy & so sleepy after stressing his little body out with all the banging I'm pretty sure it's just him pulling at his bed/blankets but I can't go to see as he'll see me. . I guess I'll keep leaving him. This sucks i love him so much & I'll keep trying, I thought I'd be an amazing owner and raise a happy dog but now I can't help but think maybe I'm not made for having a dog :( can anyone re-enforce if I'm doing the right thing leaving him whine or any recommendations??

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Puppies are so so hard. As rebanne said, have his crate in your room. It won't be forever! We persisted for a month of hell before moving him in with us and life got so much better when we did. Big hug, you are an amazing owner because you care so much!

I also suggest putting the puppies crate in your room. After the same suggestions I had mine beside the bed. If pup was restless when first going in I put my hand where she could sniff it and she soon settled. This only lasted until she slept through the night (not long) and she never once cried through the night. Makes it sooo much easier to hear them wake through the night when they want to toilet too. Good luck!

I wanted to add when toileting through the night it was pretty straight forward. Out to toilet spot, say toileting word as puppy goes, praise immediately then back in the crate for bed. No playing. Although there were definite cuddles and puppy fur sniffing on the way out and back lol.

A night light and torch can be pretty handy to get around in the dark too. I ended up needing one as I couldn't tell if puppy had gone to the toilet at times! Don't forget to give them a moment after a wee as sometimes they need to poo too.

Edited by Roova

Definitely bring the crate into the bedroom - even if it's the only time the pup comes inside. He will settle a LOT faster if he can see his humans and know he's not alone.

I fostered nearly 200 pups over the years, and I can guarantee that they definitely settle faster if they can see you from their bed.

I suggest that the crate has a plastic bucket-bed with warm bedding and a teddy around the same size as the pup to snuggle up to... to simulate a litter-mate.

Just remember - if it's annoying the hell out of you, the neighbours aren't going to be happy about it either.

T.

Hi guys thanks, I'm concerned that if I bring him inside that he'll have to be in there forever to sleep and I'm not really that keen on having a adult dog sleep in my room. We had numerous dogs growing up and they were all outside and all of my friends dogs are outside as well and they seemed to have no issues. I don't know if I can do it being inside to sleep. He's allowed to follow me supervised or sit on his mat inside but that's about it, I just don't think I can do it if I'm thinking long term. At the breeders he was under the house but it was open, they left them all night and never went to them. Don't get me wrong I really appreciate your advice and I'll think long and hard today but I'm hoping that there's someone out there that go through this as well. Otherwise I guess he will be in. I did so much research before getting him too, it just sucks :( thanks again though I really appreciate it.

Once pup is sleeping through the night and not needing to toilet you can move them to where you want them to sleep. Having them in your room can be just a means to an end not a permanent solution.

You can start moving the crate a bit further away until they're where you want them to be or straight outside to an area he'll now be familiar with after sleeping there through the day.

I'm sure he was fine at the breeders because he was in a familiar location with mum and litter mates for warmth and comfort. Everything is new and strange where he is now and a tiny baby can't just know how you expect him to be. You'll need to train him to meet your expectations. :)

Edited by Roova

Um. Please take this in the kind spirit it is meant, instead of the bitchy way it's bound to come across. :D

Can you elaborate on any it's so bad to have a dog sleep inside in your bedroom? I ask because I was determined to have Ernie sleep ANYWHERE BUT my bedroom when I got him. ALL my other dogs had either slept outside or in the laundry. Flash forward to Ernie - 6.5 hours from home, taken from what I suspect was a kennel environment with other dogs for company, thrust into the estrogen factory that is a house with 2 teen girls and me - Grumpy Bitch Goddess.

He had a lovely bed set up for him in the laundry - blankies, a hot water bottle and a tick-tock bear. I couldn't bear his crying - I lasted an hour.

So now his crate doubles as my bedside table. Apart from the odd yipyiping in his dreams, he beats my other former bedroom companions hands down. He keeps me company in the event of weird night noises and is so Maude-damn happy to see me every morning . He listens to my commentaries on books I've read and quite enjoys my lavender scentsy candle smell thingy.

Honestly, I feel a bit bad that I didn't do it with all my dogs.

If you aren't keen on it being a permanent arrangement - you can always move the crate out of your room when he's got his confidence back (as I did with my other dogs). He'll adjust fine.

But seriously, you can have a dog in your bedroom and keep him out of your stuff and off your bed, and it's really quite wonderful to see all that joy focused on just YOU when you get up with shocking bed hair and a case of the crankies.

There's nothing better than waking up in the morning with a dog butt in your face... lol!

Dogs are normally companion animals... they have a need to be with their family/humans... hence the crying from this little baby who has suddenly been taken away from all he has known and thrust into a completely different environment and is being asked to cope on his own.

It doesn't have to be a permanent arrangement having him inside at night... just for as long as it takes for him to be confident with his own company at night.

T.

Um. Please take this in the kind spirit it is meant, instead of the bitchy way it's bound to come across. :D

Can you elaborate on any it's so bad to have a dog sleep inside in your bedroom? I ask because I was determined to have Ernie sleep ANYWHERE BUT my bedroom when I got him. ALL my other dogs had either slept outside or in the laundry. Flash forward to Ernie - 6.5 hours from home, taken from what I suspect was a kennel environment with other dogs for company, thrust into the estrogen factory that is a house with 2 teen girls and me - Grumpy Bitch Goddess.

He had a lovely bed set up for him in the laundry - blankies, a hot water bottle and a tick-tock bear. I couldn't bear his crying - I lasted an hour.

So now his crate doubles as my bedside table. Apart from the odd yipyiping in his dreams, he beats my other former bedroom companions hands down. He keeps me company in the event of weird night noises and is so Maude-damn happy to see me every morning . He listens to my commentaries on books I've read and quite enjoys my lavender scentsy candle smell thingy.

If you aren't keen on it being a permanent arrangement - you can always move the crate out of your room when he's got his confidence back (as I did with my other dogs). He'll adjust fine.

But seriously, you can have a dog in your bedroom and keep him out of your stuff and off your bed, and it's really quite wonderful to see all that joy focused on just YOU when you get up with shocking bed hair and a case of the crankies.

I really don't want him to rely on me that much, I hate the idea of having him in my room. I just don't want him in there, heaps of people have outside dogs and they adjust fine, problem is that he's whinging during the day as well. When he woke up j spent two hours with him, playing, running around, feeding, toilet etc. he fell asleep in his crate door open then I took the chance to come inside and sleep and ten mins later he's howling to the moon. I'm completely lost and I feel like a complete failure, I haven't eaten since I got him, I feel completely anxious and upset. I have planned this for 5 years, I researched, I've been so excited, this is just beyond what I thought possible to happen. I'm just so upset and I know it's terrible but I think I made a mistake, I just don't know what to do. Night time I'd expect but day time I wouldn't, not this much. Will he get better???

I really don't want him to rely on me that much, I hate the idea of having him in my room. I just don't want him in there, heaps of people have outside dogs and they adjust fine, problem is that he's whinging during the day as well. When he woke up j spent two hours with him, playing, running around, feeding, toilet etc. he fell asleep in his crate door open then I took the chance to come inside and sleep and ten mins later he's howling to the moon. I'm completely lost and I feel like a complete failure, I haven't eaten since I got him, I feel completely anxious and upset. I have planned this for 5 years, I researched, I've been so excited, this is just beyond what I thought possible to happen. I'm just so upset and I know it's terrible but I think I made a mistake, I just don't know what to do. Night time I'd expect but day time I wouldn't, not this much. Will he get better???

He's an 8 week old pup who has just been removed from his mother and littermates and all that he's ever known... he's going to want to be with/near YOU for a while until he gets some confidence in his new surroundings.

This is going to sound very judgemental, but why on earth did you get a dog if you aren't prepared to share yourself fully with him? Especially in these early days when he needs you for security/comfort the most?

Just think how you'd feel if you were invited to live with someone, and then they decided when and where you were allowed to have any contact with them.... effectively freezing you out unless THEY wanted your company for a while...

T.

Thanks that's okay I figured I'd get a few like that, I can't ask for help and not expect that. I guess I'm just trying to be honest and I get what you're saying but I've spent every moment with him since 9am yesterday bar 2hours when I tried to sleep last night. I never ever expected this and even people in this thread said he'd be okay prior to me getting him. Realistically no one spends time non stop with their dogs, I know heaps of people that work full time and have multiple dogs, I just feel I can't even have a shower without him howling the neighbourhood down. I just saw the neighbour next door and she said she remembers what it's like and she is fine with it said it'll take a few days for him to stop howling. I'm sorry I guess I'm just no good at this despite all the preparations I made.

Baby puppies ARE needy, there's no getting around it. If you can't cope, send him back and get a mature dog.

We are all giving you the same advice because we've all been there before. If you want to sleep well, have him in your room. It won't be forever, they do grow up! Our boy moved himself out of our room at about 9 months. It was his choice, and we're all happy now! I still wouldn't want him to sleep outside, because no doubt he'd spend the whole time barking at possums and being a PITA.

During the day, I'd have shorter play sessions, then give him something to keep him busy without you, until falling asleep. He should be sleeping a lot at this age.

Ps, sorry if I sound harsh, I do feel for you a lot! I remember those early days so well, and I was in tears a LOT, and SO overtired. I just think you clearly need to reconsider some of your firmly held rules or you will be making it so much harder for yourself.

Whoa.

Just because he's inside your bedroom at night doesn't mean you won't be able to leave him alone when he's older.

Ok, you don't want him in your room as a permanent thing -- it doesn't have to be. I've transitioned ALL my dogs to sleeping on their own. Just not as babies.

Basically, you either put up with the lack of sleep or do it my way -- move him into your room until he gets some confidence and learns to bond and trust you. Then you move the crate to the next room, and the next until you've got him where you want him.

But you are now this dog's entire WORLD. Be kind. All the playing will tire him out but not if he's scared and anxious. You need him to trust you before he can take big boy steps.

Have you children? Because the principle is the same when you are getting a child to learn to sleep alone. You start off having them with you, then you slowly teach them it's ok to be on their own by sleeping further away.

I do not believe you can spoil him by having him near you for the first couple of months. And it means YOU get a decent night's sleep and toilet training is easier.

The main thing you need to foster in this little guy is trust that you will be there for him. That's how you get a good companion dog - which is what I'm assuming you want.

If you don't want him in your room (and many folks don't), that's ok - but you need to build up to that. My other dogs were close to a year before they slept in another part of the house. And to be honest, if you can't do this for him, you may be right - you're not cut out for a dog. A cat might be better as its naturally more independent. And if so, best take him back to the breeder now while he's still cute and easily rehomable.

Edited by Stressmagnet

I persisted against all advice and didnt crate Luna in our bedroom, and it was horrible. I had such terrible sleep because I was trying to listen for her, so never fully settled myself. Then I swung too far to the other end and she sleeps on my bed :laugh: to be fair though, our situation is a bit different as I always planned for Luna to be able to be inside with us if she wanted to. She let's me know if she wants to go sunbathe or watch the birds on her own :)

Thanks that's okay I figured I'd get a few like that, I can't ask for help and not expect that. I guess I'm just trying to be honest and I get what you're saying but I've spent every moment with him since 9am yesterday bar 2hours when I tried to sleep last night. I never ever expected this and even people in this thread said he'd be okay prior to me getting him. Realistically no one spends time non stop with their dogs, I know heaps of people that work full time and have multiple dogs, I just feel I can't even have a shower without him howling the neighbourhood down. I just saw the neighbour next door and she said she remembers what it's like and she is fine with it said it'll take a few days for him to stop howling. I'm sorry I guess I'm just no good at this despite all the preparations I made.

It sounds like you need to take a deep breath, have a cup of tea and just let pup sit/snuggle into your feet..

It's a big scary world for a puppy, and as others have said, he's away from his mum and siblings. He's in a new place, with new smells and is tiny and all alone.

I was dead against having our pup sleep in our room and had the laundry all set up with a comfy bed and snuggle toys, but he didn't want to have a bar of it.

I think I lasted about 5 minutes, if that of listening to him cry. He ended up sleeping with us for the first month or two (we were late crate trainers), and he moved himself into the laundry with no fuss once he felt confident. Because he was with us at night, he would let us know if he needed to go out for a toilet trip and house training was SO quick, maybe 3 weeks if that.

I cried and pulled my hair out with Dozer as a pup, he was frustrating and we didn't bond at all, not to mention he LOVED to bite me with those sharp puppy teeth and would launch himself at my sleeves if I was wearing a jumper, it had to be destroyed (only with me mind you).

Dozer wasn't much of a cryer, and didn't mind being left alone. So I can't compare that to a hysterical puppy. Puppies are hard work, and sometimes you've got to take baby steps towards your end goals (sleeping in a different area, being independant etc).

I found puppies were a lot different to what I was expecting (I'd had cats previously). It's hard, you'll love them and hate them and want to send them back at times. But it does work out in the end.

oh :( how sad that you won't share the comfort you can give him .

Loving a puppy means providing for his needs .

His main needs now , are good food, water, COMFORT , shelter etc .

By all means leave him for short periods outdoors - BUT make sure he has something very valuable to him while you do :) A BIG bone , his meal, and the toy he loves most ....

Sleeping in your room will hasten the bonding, and trust .

It will also help YOU a lot in understanding him .

I have always had dogs - always.

In latter years , when I didn't have working dogs in the bush - dogs have slept in my room .. yes, they are /have been left alone during the day , on holidays , while working - I do not want a dog with me all the time ;)

A dog with a person who works/goes out / does stuff inside while dog is in the backyard will gain SO much from the simple act of sharing the same space while sleeping - this is a natural "pack" thing with canids ! They are off hunting, etc during the day , and sleep together at night - or vice versa.

As you are now your dog's 'pack' - you have the opportunity :)

I would suggest you NOT spend every moment with him during the day , so he can learn to play alone ...provide sandpits, cardboard boxes, bones, squeaky/rattly toys , balls of various sizes ...

Start training NOW - do several 3 minute sessions , maybe - 'come' and 'sit' .. :)

:)