Labrador Outside

Blackdog10

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having a really hard time with this thread in all honesty. Puppies, I adore them so much. And to not want them to be around you at times or not to want them to rely on you is completely alien to me. To put a tiny puppy outside, alone, in the dark, again, completely alien to me & why would anyone want to be apart from their new puppy? It's just a really difficult thread for me cause it goes so far south of who I am.

I really hope the OP steps up ASAP for this dear little puppy. So very important to start off right.

Edited by BC Crazy

did the breeder of your puppy know what you were planning to do with the poor thing?

To be honest I don't understand what you were reading if you researched for 5 years about dog ownership before actually getting a pup. Just how much time a day are you actually going to see the dog? If you work, there is a big chunk of time gone, same for when you are sleeping. Fit in all the other things you do and where exactly does a dog fit into your life?

Just wanted to say... Ernie is totally fine with being outside for 4-5 hours on occasion. He gets a huge walk in the morning where he sniffs and jumps into the creek and races around with his dog buddies. But he's outside while I do housework and grocery shopping and anything else I need to do without a 27 kg shadow. But he knows he will be coming in to hang out with me once that's done. I don't think he would be happy on his own 8 hours a day no matter how many toys I leave him. I've trained him to come in and go to his place (his dog mat) where he's got his chewies. It really wasn't hard to train him to hang out on his mat when he's inside. Bless him, he's even taught himself to go into his crate as soon as dinner is being served -- as we are a terrible family and eat on our knees in front on the telly.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you set your pup up right in the early days, you will have a buddy that is happy just to share your space without necessarily getting underfoot, if that is your concern. In the morning, he's happy just to watch and hear my teen girls get ready for school, he just wants to be in the same space - he doesn't get underfoot or demand attention.

But he IS. A valued member of our family and as such, his needs are taken into account. Shutting him away from all the hub Bub would make him miserable - especially since he's been so willing to learn to hang out where he's told.

If you don't want him following you around all the time (and some people don't), just set up a safe area inside where he can feel part of the family but you can get things done.

Labradors are pack animals to the extreme, I've learned. Ernie just wants to be around his people - he sits his mat and watches the chaos and loves just being around. He will go outside and hang there for a while when needs be -- but if I'm home and not vacuuming, he comes in, goes to his place and lies there happily just being part of the household. That's a Labrador. My kelpie would have broken the door down to get back outside to chase birds and destroy sticks. Ernie? It's all about his people.

Edited by Stressmagnet

Breathe, folks

This poster is a first-timer ... and is attempting to do things the way they have seen dogs kept - and 'by the book' ( whichever book that is )

It is turning out to be a HUGE learning/realisation curve , they love their new puppy , and WANT the best for him .....their 'research' has let them down ...hopefully D O L will be their safety net .

Yes sure Perse, first timer it can be overwhelming as you want everything to be 'right'. I wasn't having a go. Just don't get why you wouldn't want to be with your new puppy a lot. I'm usually can't wait for them to wake up :laugh:

I've only just read through this post & probably adding my comments is just p#ss##ing into the wind, especially seeing that the OP seems to have left this thread & started a new one :(

I agree with everyone else....move the Crate into your bedroom & if it is a wire crate, all the better, then you can stick your fingers through the wires to let pup know you are there. I would also just like to ask, what sort of "crate training" you did with him to get him used to being in his crate?? His crate has to become his den, his little safe haven, his cave..so make all his experiences in it good ones.

One other thing that is bothering me is the fact the breeder raised her pups under the house....is this normal for a good breeder :confused: Both my pups were raised in the house with their breeder until they went to their new homes & although this probably seems like "overkill", under the house seems a bit cold & impersonal :(

Have you seen the mess a large litter of Labrador - or any large breed - pups can make?

When I had a Rotti litter (registered/pedigreed), they were inside until 3-4 weeks, then we had to move them outside.

From 4-6 weeks of age, we had them set up on a section of the deck, with a covered snuggle box and plenty of running around space.

We made a really cool large pen under the house where we could secure them when we were out or at night once they were 6 weeks old. They had all of the creature comforts in there... I might add that we could stand under the house as it was set fairly high.

T.

Have you seen the mess a large litter of Labrador - or any large breed - pups can make?

When I had a Rotti litter (registered/pedigreed), they were inside until 3-4 weeks, then we had to move them outside.

From 4-6 weeks of age, we had them set up on a section of the deck, with a covered snuggle box and plenty of running around space.

We made a really cool large pen under the house where we could secure them when we were out or at night once they were 6 weeks old. They had all of the creature comforts in there... I might add that we could stand under the house as it was set fairly high.

T.

OK...well I guess it depends on whether they have a shelter under the house that is warm & cosy. I guess Lab puppies are a bit bigger than BC's.

For dog sake let's not turn this into speculation about 'under the house' . 'Under the house' can mean anything from high set with no protection except the house above to entirely bricked in basement area fit for a king. We haven't got a clue in this case.

Yes, Quinn grew up outside, her breeder had a great set up with an enclosed kennel area opening into an outside area that could be securely locked up, which then opened to a bigger secured courtyard style run area, which in turn opened to the back yard. She was happy, healthy and used to going out to grass to toilet when I brought her home at 8 weeks.

ETA - having said that she slept in a crate in my room for the first few months and now sleeps on my bed, although she'll happily sleep in another room if I shut her out.

Edited by Simply Grand