How To Become A Licensed Judge In Australia.

JessicaM

Good afternoon everyone, as the title says I would like to find out how to become a judge. I am not quite ready to do it now (work commitments over weekends) but I have tried to do a bit of googl ing but I couldn't seem to find anything.

Feel free to post links and write down anything you know of.

1. What are some prerequisites of being a judge, what does it involve. How long and how do you choose to specialize in your own breed, group or a different group? How much does it cost roughly? And is it worth doing it all, does it get even bitchier as a judge than just being an exhibitor ;-)

Thanks for your time, looking forward to a read!

The following information is taken from the ANKC website.

4.1.1 Toenrol in the Program as an Aspiring Judge, a member must fulfil the followingcriteria:

4.1.1.1be 18 years of age or over;

4.1.1.2have been a member of an ANKC MemberBody for a minimum of eight (8) years during the ten (10) years immediatelyprior to the date of the application.

4.1.1.3 havebred at least three (3) litters under their own or shared Prefix.

4.1.1.4have bred at least two (2) championsunder their own or shared Prefix.

4.1.1.5the application shall be for theGroup or Breed in which the requirements of 4.1.1.3 and 4.1.1.4 above have beenmet or partially met. (Amended 10/12 - 7.4.1)

4.1.1.6(a) Where a Member Body requiresformal training to become a Steward, a Member must successfully complete thattraining in the two (2) years prior to applying to become an Aspiring Judge.

(b) In any State where no formal training is required, inthe two years prior to enrolling, an Aspiring Judge must officiate as a ringsteward on no less than six (6) occasions of which three (3) must be fullgroups.

4.1.1.7in the two years prior to enrolling,have successfully completed and have demonstrated a history of ongoingcommitment to dog showing through the various aspect of the sport such as ShowManagement and other aspects of Affiliate and Show Administration. Thiscommitment is to continue for the duration of training.

4.1.1.8complete and submit the approvedenrolment form which must include evidence of the criteria of 4.1.1.1 – 4.1.1.7above and be accompanied by the prescribed fee.

I'm guessing the criteria would be slightly different for not-conformation competition judging like agility, obedience, tracking etc.

Wow - been an ANKC member for at least 8 years of the previous 10. And bred some litters. And won some championships with their own dogs.

Being a ring steward or helper at shows is a good idea.

Jessica M

Why do you want to become a judge? what sort of judging do you want to do? are you a member of SACA? Or a breed club or kennel club? Chances are a local breed based kennel club that hosts competitions could introduce you to a local judge and then they could go through what you'd need to do and maybe even guide you a bit.

I'm guessing the criteria would be slightly different for not-conformation competition judging like agility, obedience, tracking etc.

Wow - been an ANKC member for at least 8 years of the previous 10. And bred some litters. And won some championships with their own dogs.

Jessica M

Why do you want to become a judge? what sort of judging do you want to do? are you a member of SACA? Or a breed club or kennel club? Chances are a local breed based kennel club that hosts competitions could introduce you to a local judge and then they could go through what you'd need to do and maybe even guide you a bit.

Yes Mrs RB I did only include the conformation criteria but the same site has the info for performance judging too.

Not planning on being a judge for a long time! I work in hospitality as a chef, so shows are such a limited amount now during my apprenticeship. I am more thinking down the track when I decide to have kids; or something when I get sick of this industry.

It is really more something I want to know about, self research and knowledge. I do know a couple of judges and I am sure they can shed time to tell me more; haven't been able to see any of them yet!

Also I have only been members of Dogs SA for 2 years, only had one litter and no home bred champions yet. And from what I have read about lectures and study it is very time consuming. But definitely something I would love to do in the future. O.m.g so much study to learn! Its great to know how your years of experience really does make you wiser

Jessica M

I am more thinking down the track when I decide to have kids; or something when I get sick of this industry.

I don't know any dog (agility/obedience) judges that make enough money to give up their day jobs. They get paid and if they are qualified enough to get an interstate or international gig, their expenses are paid (food, accommodation, transport) but I don't think it covers the cost of taking time off work.

Might be different overseas?

I think given breed judging is such a long term thing - that actually stewarding and helping out judges will make the study a lot easier. Will give it all context.