Mac's Last Days

westiemum

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mad Woofy thank you - you've summed it up perfectly - it's a form of dithering decision-making so it's really hard to know what to do. And to make things worse he's bounced back in the last 24 hours - possibly a little slower and wobblier - but much brighter. Too late tonight but I'll try and post some photos tomorrow night. smile.gif

Watching Danny like a hawk these days and seeing the slow deterioration into extreme old age, I can certainly relate. Danny is far from the state and stage that your your darling Mac is, and sometimes he is like a puppy, but when I see him falling asleep on his feet and just about toppling over, I am reminded (as if I needed it) that our time together is running out.

Thank you everyone - Anne big hugs back to you and Boof. Thanmks DD and CHA - really appreciated. Mac is doing much better today and enjoyed his slow-cooked duck, bone broth and basmati rice dinner! But its still very much a day by day proposition here - he goes downhill so quickly. frown.gif ari thats a great name!! Hope your new puppy is doing well.

Little Gifts recognise his jumper? He just loves it and pretty much lives in it at this time of year! (Except when its in the wash! embarrass.gif)

post-11746-0-31344800-1429789297_thumb.jpg

My amazing little resilient old man has bounced back - for the moment. After being sure I was going to lose him last weekend this weekend he's standing on his wobbly old back legs, front paws on the lounge and demanding lap-time and a cuddle!! He's very much wobblier and more unsteady, particularly in the mornings but once he gets going he's OK. I spent days making him duck bone broth earlier in the week - and thy all love it. I think such good nutrition is making a real difference to him too. smile.gif

My amazing little resilient old man has bounced back - for the moment. After being sure I was going to lose him last weekend this weekend he's standing on his wobbly old back legs, front paws on the lounge and demanding lap-time and a cuddle!! He's very much wobblier and more unsteady, particularly in the mornings but once he gets going he's OK. I spent days making him duck bone broth earlier in the week - and thy all love it. I think such good nutrition is making a real difference to him too. smile.gif

That's how I feel, WM. So nutritious. If Danny drank nothing than that I'd be happy, but with the probiotics, Lactose Free Milk and Royal Canin all mixed into his "shake" I am sure it is all so good.

I bought a 10ml syringe and now give him a syringe full or two every couple of hours. He'll be on a diet in no time. :D

Go Wobbly Mac. You are one special, strong little boyo. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:) good to hear

it's when the good outweigh the bad that the decision time comes

hope he enjoys his dinner tonight :thumbsup:

Thanks VEhs - These westies eat better than I do - on tonights menu for Mac is slow-cooked duck in bone broth and basmati rice. I need to see if I can find some turkey so I can make another batch. (One of my westies seems to only be able to digest turkey - but the duck seems to have gone down OK too).

Yes thanks DD - yep he's one amazing old dog - even the vets are amazed he's still with us. The bone broth is going down a treat - and now I know how to do it it should be easier to make this next time.smile.gif Mac was getting too think any way so putting on a bit of weight won't hurt him - just not so much that it makes it harder for him on his wonky back legs.

He is such a love. First time I dared venture in today, but wanted to add our best wishes for you both here too. I recognise the Little Gifts jumper, they were so beautiful and snuggly. Please give Mac a gentle pat for us.

The bone broth is going down a treat - and now I know how to do it it should be easier to make this next time.

Too true - easy as after the first time.

I cook their rice in it via the absorption method. 1 cup of rice to 2 cups bone broth, cover, bring to boil, turn down to a simmer (keep covered) that will last for about 10 minutes until all the broth is absorbed and rice cooked.

Great idea DD - thanks. tdierikx we're fairly sure that Mac's wobbles are neurological. Yes he does have arthritis as well so the Loxicom in the mornings is a godsend and what keeps him going - he's brilliant on it. But he's also on gabapentin at night for nerve pain - I know it seems a lot - but at his age keeping him pain free is a priority. And will do coogie - thanks for popping by - Mac is right next to me on the lounge loving your pats!! smile.gif