Mac's Last Days

westiemum

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I had not read this as now I feel guilty I don't give Penny & Mac blue cheese, I have a feeling dried sweet potato is not a substitute

I reckon they have made a pact to send me broke :D

Glad your Mac is doing so well WM :thumbsup:

Guys I don't really understand why he's suddenly so much steadier... the only thing I've done is up his oily fish and fish oil - and of course he now has his pills in blue cheese which supposedly has cardiovascular and anti-inflammatory benefits, helps memory and arthritis, and they are wondering is its the reason the French have the lowest rate of cardiovascular disease in the world. Oh well who knows - he's happy, healthy and the best he's been in quite some months. I swear this dog is going to be the death of me!! laugh.gif.

Don’t forget the wine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi B, the truth is that he has had a wobbly couple of days - and a bad night last night which means I also had a bad night last night. I had to take him for a drink and a wee three times last night which meant I was pretty weary this morning - but I'd do it all again for him without a second thought. He's still eating very well and weeing and pooing - he seems to be drinking a bit more but at the moment I'm putting that down to the heat.

But he seems better tonight when I got home. I think the heat knocks him around a bit. Hoping for a better night tonight. Anyway bedtime - will report back in tomorrow night. smile.gif

Edited by westiemum

Hi All, truth is we've had a difficult couple of days here. His back end is collapsing more and more and I'm devastated that the end is close unless he bounces back yet again. crying.gif It's Mums birthday this Friday and we're away for the weekend so unless he improves again I'm beginning to think he'll go tonGod late next week... We'll see... Prayers please. pray.gif

Aaaah!!! This dog is going to me the emotional death of me. I gave him a double dose of ABs last night (figured I had nothing to lose) - and he's much better this morning. Quite bright and alert and still following and sniffing Sarah's bottom! Which is good to see.

And for anyone who is interested - as an old neuro Speech Path with swallowing expertise I now wondering if he's getting some food/liquid leakage into his airway - not enough to produce full blown AP but enough to make him feel 'off'' and wobbly. And the hit of ABs has helped knock any mild infection on the head - which is why he's better this morning. He might be getting to the point where the texture of his food needs adjusting again to help keep it going down the right hole (in technical terms) - same as we do with humans who are on a slow neurologivcal decline.

So I might try him back on his post-surgical diet again and see if that helps. (And this is where canine videoflouroscopy would be damn hepful! Apparently available in the states but not sure if it's here). So despite no actual proof of any of this - just knowing my dog and some clinical judgement - I'll look at that in the next few days, and try him out on some different textures and see what happens.