Mac's Last Days

westiemum

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm of the train of thought that they don't need to be there experiencing you being upset so having them off doing something pleasant with someone else is the way to go. I'd probably only let them sniff Mac after he was gone if they wanted to. If they showed no interest I wouldn't be actively pointing him out to them. His scent is going to be around the house still anyway. I think it is hard to anticipate which dogs cope ok after losing a pack mate and which ones don't. I don't really feel sniffing them after they are gone makes that much of a difference and it is not till they are continually missing that some dogs realise something has happened to their pack.

I think it is good you are planning ahead but it is still ok to just go with your heart on the day. It is still going to be horrible and hard to say farewell.

Edited by Little Gifts

Thank you everyone. Well everyone is booked for Friday - so its all organised. Its a very strange feeling planning a death like this. But although it still breaks my heart I know its the right thing to do.

Mac had his last day at doggy daycare today - they were absolutely wonderful with him yet saw just how downhill he has gone since they last saw him. They gave me a beautiful card which meant a lot. He'll say goodbye to his first ever vet in the morning and his other fav vet at 4 on Friday. Apart from that our time on Friday is our own - and it should be a cooler day than today and tomorrow. So hopefully we'll be able to have an ice-cream in the park and a last sniff around.

He had a good day on Monday and Tuesday morning but has gone downhill again since yesterday afternoon - and we had a bad night last night. And I looked at him this evening as he lay on the floor not looking completely comfy and I truly realised its time. Yes its going to be sad and very hard on Friday - but I am getting some comfort knowing I'm doing the right thing.

He had a good day on Monday and Tuesday morning but has gone downhill again since yesterday afternoon - and we had a bad night last night. And I looked at him this evening as he lay on the floor not looking completely comfy and I truly realised its time. Yes its going to be sad and very hard on Friday - but I am getting some comfort knowing I'm doing the right thing.

I had a week similar to this with my last dog. I sobbed every night & she ate bbq chook for dinner every night. At the end of the week I was at peace & she was ready too & it wss so much easier than i ever imagined.

Thinking of you all.

Luv

Sm.

Sending hugs to you WM. It is such a tough decision to make, but I know that when I made it with Tess (and I literally only had a few hours to make it in) there was a bit of relief that came with the decision and some peace. There will probably also be feelings of guilt (I left it too long, to I did it too early), so be prepared for those.

One thing I went through a few weeks after Tess passed, which caused me huge problems with guilt, was the feeling of weight being lifted from my shoulders. As they get progressively worse you just get on with the small changes you make to your life, but when they're gone it's like this massive relief. I could sleep through the night, I wasn't coming home from work worried about how she would be, I wasn't having to clean up the messes every day, and having that huge amount of stress removed from my life was wonderful, which then made me sad and guilty about how wonderful it was not to have to deal with all of that, even though I was missing her desperately.

Take care of yourself. I agree with keeping the other dogs away, but be prepared for them to grieve in their own way as well.

Gentle hugs to Mac from me. Tess will be looking out for him :heart:

Even though I have been thinking of you and Mac all week, I will be lighting a candle and sending special thoughts and so much love to you tomorrow.

Please know that you have done everything right and not a day has gone by that Mac didn't know that he was very, very loved. Sending massive hugs to you :heart::heart:

Thanks everyone - you are just the best. Maccles had a good night last night in the air-conditioning - it was a very hot night here - and when he has a peaceful night so do I!! We had a lovely snuggle in bed this morning until I went for a shower. And he had the afternoon with his grandma - which is always bliss for him.

So I'm hoping for another last peaceful night. I'm not working tomorrow so we'll have another snuggle in the morning, then off to see his other fav vet to say goodbye. Then a trip to the park with ice cream and blue cheese then an afternoon snooze. Will be a lovely day of memories.

Madwoofter thanks for those very wise thoughts. I've only thought about the aftermath very briefly and feel a bit of guilt already, knowing I will be grateful for less stress and more time to spend with Sarah and Andy who have really taken a back-seat these last few weeks. While I'll miss him and his funny quirky little Maccles ways desperately, I'm so looking forward to my first night of unbroken sleep in months, not having to clean up the mess and not having to guess what he's demanding now! And yes I'm already feeling guilty - but I keep telling myself this is about him and his first vet was very helpful this morning validating my decision - he loves the breed, has a westie himself and agreed it was time. And thats helped my heart catch up with my head - at least today.

Thanks everyone - you are just the best. Maccles had a good night last night in the air-conditioning - it was a very hot night here - and when he has a peaceful night so do I!! We had a lovely snuggle in bed this morning until I went for a shower. And he had the afternoon with his grandma - which is always bliss for him.

So I'm hoping for another last peaceful night. I'm not working tomorrow so we'll have another snuggle in the morning, then off to see his other fav vet to say goodbye. Then a trip to the park with ice cream and blue cheese then an afternoon snooze. Will be a lovely day of memories.

Madwoofter thanks for those very wise thoughts. I've only thought about the aftermath very briefly and feel a bit of guilt already, knowing I will be grateful for less stress and more time to spend with Sarah and Andy who have really taken a back-seat these last few weeks. While I'll miss him and his funny quirky little Maccles ways desperately, I'm so looking forward to my first night of unbroken sleep in months, not having to clean up the mess and not having to guess what he's demanding now! And yes I'm already feeling guilty - but I keep telling myself this is about him and his first vet was very helpful this morning validating my decision - he loves the breed, has a westie himself and agreed it was time. And thats helped my heart catch up with my head - at least today.

I've been thinking about you and Mac today westiemum. I'm so glad you're going to be busy tomorrow. We went through this earlier this year, and we ate chips for lunch every day in our last week! So much cholesterol for all of us! But Jeddah loved her chips. She had a lovely bowl of ice cream right up to popping off to sleep. I will always be thankful for having her passing at home, it was just beautiful. Lots of kisses and cuddles with your little man tomorrow. You are both in my thoughts.

You and Mac have been in my thoughts all week WM, I'm glad the lil' fella will have cuddles, roast chicken and blue cheese on his way to the bridge.

Mac has many fans here and all our goodbyes will ease his way into his next pain-free world.

Bye Bye Mac, we will remember you

post-26505-0-78516700-1447970379_thumb.png