Mac's Last Days

westiemum

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep just popping in to peek and see how Mac is going (and bonus Danny catchups). Loving the updates,so pleased the two of them are going well.

Thanks tons coogie - you're very welcome!! And so are Danny updates - particularly since Mr Mac appears to have over 47,000 lives and every time I think we are at the end he bounces back - 'Not ready to go yet Mum'!! laugh.gif So his mother is feeling a bit of a fraud... but lovely to share a thread with anyone who's interested as we look after our oldies...thumbsup1.gif

You're so right H. Last night he snuggled right into the crook of my arm in bed - which he doesn't usually do - usually I put him there for a snuggle on Saturday mornings - he was there until 1.20 this morning when I just had to move him so I got some sleep!!! I really couldn't love this old boy more if I tried. thumbsup1.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Well Mr Mac continues to trot along - quite literally! He's had a few wobbly days early this week but is much steadier today - and has been very demanding!! Since his laryngeal tie-back operation he barks like a demented seal - letting me know he needs to get down off the lounge as he needs a wee, barking at Andy, barking to let me know he's stuck on the top level and can't get down the stairs - and I couldn't be more pleased. He's doing so well I've gone ahead and booked a gathering of our usual westie clan on 15 August for his birthday on the 13th. Its a birthday I genuinely didn't think he'd see - and I'm just so proud he's doing so well we can celebrate! I'll post some photos afterwards. smile.gif

Hi lovely DOLers,

We've had a set-back tonight. At bedtime Mac appeared to have a stroke or seizure/convulsion. He fell off the lounge, was shaking quite violently, became mildly incontinent of urine and faeces and went stiff. It lasted for 3 or 4 minutes. He now seems to have recovered, if anything he's walking better but his vision seems worse and he’s getting caught in corners. And I'm not sure he recognises me. And instead of a post-ictal sleep (which is what I would expect) he is now pacing uncontrollably - so much so he was in danger of walking off my bed. So I’ve had to put him in the laundry with a warm bed, blanket, 2 pet heat pads and a night light in the hope he eventually settles.

As its now 12.50 am, I’ve given him a Valium (previously prescribed for him) and I plan to monitor him overnight and see how he is in the morning. I can’t think of anything the emergency vet can offer me at this hour of the night now the episode is over. I’m hoping he’s settled by morning and will take him to the vet then if needs be.

Yes I realise this might be the end for him but I’ll cross that if I have to and it comes to that tomorrow. In the meantime does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thank you all - Mac is much better this morning. He started barking at 4 this morning but had at least settled in his bed in the laundry. Around 7 this morning I went and got him and he was happy to snuggle down in bed with me which he wouldn't do earlier this morning - he kept wanting to walk off the bed and wouldn't settle. We've been to the vet this morning and she said it was a big grand mal seizure and the post-ictal period was particularly long. frown.gif

He's going to start on anti-convulsants this evening after they get them in for me this afternoon - its a new twice a day drug that is newly available from the UK instead of the more usual three times a day (drugs that are required 3 times a day are really problematic here when I'm working).

So thanks everyone - I hope it will be a once off - he's certainly much better this morning and surprisingly steady on his feet after a very rough night. I'm very tired but doing OK. Fingers and paws crossed for my lovely old man.

Edited by westiemum