Mac's Last Days

westiemum

It's funny B - post tie-back surgery for his laryngeal paralysis I had no idea how to feed him to reduce his risk of aspiration pneumonia - and so I just did for him what I would do for a human swallowing patient - and it worked. So I probably need to go back to that diet and see if it helps. Don't know why I didn't think of it before.

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aww, watcha doing little Mac? You've got your mum all over the place.

Westiemum, my little 15 year old is on Neulin, prednil and doxycyline every day, whatever it takes to make sure she has a good quality of life. You know your boy, do what you think is best, if he needs ABs every day like my Pepper, diet change, or anything else you think will help with his issues, you do it :heart:

You're telling me YG!! Yes and although it sometimes makes me unpopular with the vets, I'm Mac's only real advocate so I make the best decisions I possibly can. And Speechies know vastly more than GPs (and vets it seems) about swallowing dysfunction and its management - so when it comes to managing his swallowing dysfunction it's the one area I'd back myself in every day of the week - with apologies to any vets reading this smile.gif - I do love you - but when it comes to this I'm the expert!!

1446601855[/url]' post='6759847']

do you feed him lumpy stuff rather than yoghurt and vegie slops?

Yes now I do but post- surgery I puréed his food and then gradually increased the texture and viscosity over two weeks or so until any swelling was gone and his pain subsided and he was back on a normal diet. But for the first time last night he vomited which is usually not a good sign and is an aspiration risk - so I might see if he vomits again and if he does put him back on purée to see if that does the trick.

Hi All,

Thanks for your note B.

Its very up and down here. He's had a good couple of days - and I got home tonight and he's really steady and alert and eating well - and Mum was very impressed yesterday when he took himself into the laundry for a drink and wee'd on command on the back lawn yesterday. But his bad days are really becoming very bad with his back end completely collapsing - its very hard to know what to do. He's actually pretty healthy - he's just losing his back end function... I'm just praying that he lets me know when he wants to go play at the bridge... and while he's still sniffing Sarah's bottom I'm not sure he's ready... but if anyone can tell me how you make these decisions and how you know when its time I'm all ears...

Hi All,

Thanks for your note B.

Its very up and down here. He's had a good couple of days - and I got home tonight and he's really steady and alert and eating well - and Mum was very impressed yesterday when he took himself into the laundry for a drink and wee'd on command on the back lawn yesterday. But his bad days are really becoming very bad with his back end completely collapsing - its very hard to know what to do. He's actually pretty healthy - he's just losing his back end function... I'm just praying that he lets me know when he wants to go play at the bridge... and while he's still sniffing Sarah's bottom I'm not sure he's ready... but if anyone can tell me how you make these decisions and how you know when its time I'm all ears...

Mac and Danny are brothers, obviously. :heart::heart: Danny loves to sniff at Jeune, too, as well as lick her back as she lies on my stomach before we settle down to bed.

Danny back legs are going as well and last week I had to take him to the vet as he couldn’t stand up. He is back to normal after a few days of a low dose of Prednisolone. Actually, he was pretty well okay after first dose.

As for telling us when they want to go, I am sure they well, but I’m also sure we have a bit more time with our darling boys. Remember when you were wondering whether you’d be celebrating Mac’s last birthday - in August, if I remember correctly?

Yeah I do remember DD. He's still very up and down. His back end is definitely worse frown.gif. And last night he was very restless until I gave him my side of the bed!!! He then put his head down 'klonk' and went straight to sleep - I think my scent must reassure him so I'll let him sleep on my dressing gown tonight and see if I can entice back onto his side of the bed!!

Yeah I do remember DD. He's still very up and down. His back end is definitely worse frown.gif. And last night he was very restless until I gave him my side of the bed!!! He then put his head down 'klonk' and went straight to sleep - I think my scent must reassure him so I'll let him sleep on my dressing gown tonight and see if I can entice back onto his side of the bed!!

Ha ha... little devil!

Well Mac fans the time has come. I came home last night to Mac half in and half out of his bed in the laundry, panting and thirsty cos he couldn't get to his water bowl and sitting in his own poo. He couldn't stand let alone walk. It broke my heart and I cried and cried knowing 'its time'. I cleaned him up, gave him a big drink and some dinner and we snuggled on the lounge until we went to bed.

He was his usual restless self at 1.30 am this morning and then settled down for the rest of the night. This morning he was just as immobile until after a late breakfast. He ate brekky and his pills in blue cheese (of course!) and is now mobile but very unsteady - his back end swings around like a feather in the breeze and then collapses. He can't get himself through the doggy door anymore.

And I don't want him to get to a point where he is distressed. So after discussion with Mum, working around my work commitments and when she can be here during the day next week to look after him and unless events overtake us, he'll go to God on Friday evening, the 20th, at home - hopefully with the people who love him most around him.

This is hardest and worst decision I've ever made - but its the right one.

Here he is this morning on the newly cut lawn which he loves.

post-11746-0-45624100-1447473387_thumb.jpg

Edited by westiemum

O WM, I am so sorry you will soon be saying goodbye to your dear lil' fella ..

Give him lots of hugs and tummy rubs and stuff him with blue cheese and all the goodies you think he will tolerate for the next week.

Thinking of you,

B :hug:

Thanks all - while its hard and I'm still teary, I know its the right thing to do. We're going to enjoy his last week. He can have his favourite things and we'll go to the park in the Macmobile, say goodbye to his vets (he's had a cast of thousands over the years!) and do a final farewell at doggy daycare. As someone said in another thread, this will be be a week of building unforgettable memories... smile.gif