Mac's Last Days

westiemum

Thanks VM -Mr Mac is snuggling in front of the fire with his bottom right up against it. You're right -he's just wolfed down a little of his grandmothers salmon mornay - adored and cherished indeed! thumbsup1.gif.

aw.... I sense 'wind' later. At least Tibor would make wind after mornay.

Those awful pongs where he would lift up his own head, smell his butt.... then look at me as if to say 'did I do that!!!!

(s0z, TMI)

:eek:

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1431432991[/url]' post='6689721']

Thanks VM -Mr Mac is snuggling in front of the fire with his bottom right up against it. You're right -he's just wolfed down a little of his grandmothers salmon mornay - adored and cherished indeed! thumbsup1.gif.

Aww, he's certainly got good taste buds!

rofl1.gif Caz. The things we put up with. If I'm honest, Mac has bad breath - so DD I did well to put up with that chin and breath for over two hours! rofl1.gif Thank you all you guys - it means such a lot. Its a real emotional roller coaster here.

I missed this of a few days ago, :laugh: . I remember my first little dog who had a breath that I'd say could stop a train. She wasn't a strong or well little one and at died at 3 and a half of congestive heart failure. So if they don't have gum/teeth disease, I think it is almost inevitable that elderly failing dogs will have bad breath.

Yesterday I was lying on the couch surrounded by dogs and became aware of an awful smell. It wasn't bad breath and I thought someone had decided to let some perfume out of the rear end.

Turned out to be the bone broth simmering away on the stove :( . Yuk, it is an awful smell, but I am a vegetarian so the smell of meat cooking is always a bit confronting. Only a few hours of simmering left.

Yep DD - here its a case of weighing up the GA to have his teeth cleaned (and he's had lots of GAs - far too many IMO) or putting up with his breath!! Which isn't too bad just at the moment. And you've just reminded me - if I can get some turkey on the way home I'll make up some bone broth for him again. (Sarah can eat turkey as well without getting the squirts :o)

rofl1.gif Caz. The things we put up with. If I'm honest, Mac has bad breath - so DD I did well to put up with that chin and breath for over two hours! rofl1.gif Thank you all you guys - it means such a lot. Its a real emotional roller coaster here.

I missed this of a few days ago, :laugh: . I remember my first little dog who had a breath that I'd say could stop a train. She wasn't a strong or well little one and at died at 3 and a half of congestive heart failure. So if they don't have gum/teeth disease, I think it is almost inevitable that elderly failing dogs will have bad breath.

Yesterday I was lying on the couch surrounded by dogs and became aware of an awful smell. It wasn't bad breath and I thought someone had decided to let some perfume out of the rear end.

Turned out to be the bone broth simmering away on the stove :( . Yuk, it is an awful smell, but I am a vegetarian so the smell of meat cooking is always a bit confronting. Only a few hours of simmering left.

I giggled. I really giggled.

Can not tell you how often I have thought of doing 'butt check' & it's the concoction on the stove top simmering away. A few years ago when I was ill, I could not tolerate the odours of meat cooking for months on end.

:(

eta... spellink erra

Edited by VizslaMomma

:o :o Glad I am not alone. Even though the temps were plummeting last night, I opened all the kitchen windows. It is now all done, strained and in the frig.

Westiemum, at this stage, I wouldn't be putting Mac through a GA for his teeth. Too risky. Having seen how badly Danny was affected last October, it is something I won't subject my dogs to unless absolutely necessary. GA, I mean. I understand the necessity of dentals and how bad teeth can make a dog feel really sick.

Yeah I agree DD - I'm sure Mac has had his last dental even though he could probably do with another one.

His grandma was here today so all three westies were in seventh heaven - they love it when she's here and they can spend the day with her lying all over her! And Mr Mac turned up his nose at his soaked dry food breakfast again this morning after I left for work - so of course she cooked him scrambled egg!! Apparently he had a very large serve!! Then turkey and rice for dinner - and some cheddar cheese for dessert! He's doing all right for an old fella! laugh.gif

Yes she's a pretty amazing grandma. She loves her grandson - and he loves her. Its really interesting that the westies go berserk if someone comes to the door - yet somehow they know when Its grandma before she appears and they greet her but don't bark... weird...

I want your mummy :cry: :cry: :cry: My dogs have never had a grandma. They'll be reporting me for neglect.

Golly gosh, DDD. I should hope not! You know how they have thrived with your love and nuturing.

:heart:

:laugh: :laugh: VM. I guess I can be mum and grandma rolled into one and even old enough to be great grandma. Westimum's mum sounds soooooooo good though.

You'll have to let her know she has a fan club, Westiemum.

Thanks DDD - I'll let her know - she'll be so thrilled 'those people in the 'puter' think she's a good grandma. rofl1.gif And yes of course you can be Mum and Grandma rolled into one!! That just makes you doubly good!!!thumbsup1.gifthumbsup1.gif

Well Mr Mac is amazingly well today - he's literally jumping around the place - nd he wolfed down his dinner. Its so good to see him so happy. Thanks again fir your support everyone - I really appreciate it.smile.gif

Edited by westiemum

:laugh: :laugh: VM. I guess I can be mum and grandma rolled into one and even old enough to be great grandma. Westimum's mum sounds soooooooo good though.

You'll have to let her know she has a fan club, Westiemum.

I'll join!

Grandmas are wonderful!

:heart:

Hi All,

An update - I'm now convinced that the Mac Attack has 47,557 lives. In fact I now feel a bit of fraud having started this thread he's so well. Although to be fair he was very ill a month ago.

He wolfed down his turkey and rice dinner tonight and has had a lovely time in front of the fire for the rest of the evening. The secret to Macs current good health seems to be one doxycycline a day. The vet has come around to my way of thinking and has given me a new supply today. And at Mac's age an AB a day is a very good thing.

The vet has come around to my way of thinking and has given me a new supply today. And at Mac's age an AB a day is a very good thing.

My first vet, a long time ago, used to say that the vet MUST listen to what a pet owner says. They are the ones who live with the pet and if they come in and say, there is something wrong ..... the vet must not dismiss it. One vet once told me I was "a neurotic mother." I had a very sick little dog who died at three and a half. :(

Off to ask Mr Google what Doxycycline is.

Go Mac Attack :winner: :winner: . I hope that figure reaches 50,000 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Edited to add this extract from Wiki: "It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, a list of the most important medications needed in a basic health system."

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling