Horses Found Dumped South Of Adelaide

westiemum

As far as i know in AUS, horses are not permitted in dog food. Would have to double check.

Was wrong- although i'm not sure how credible this source is http://www.australianhorserescue.com/news/resources/horse-slaughter-in-australia-horse-meat-abattoirs-knackeries-wastage-and-related-issues/

Horses get dogged for pet meat down here, it's common and perfectly legal.

Personally, I wouldn't feed it to my dogs but I know plenty of people who do.

Yeah I was wrong - the horses at Peterborough are slaughtered for EU human consumption - the abattoir at Peterborough and one in Queensland are the only two in the country licensed to slaughter horses for human consumption and export.

I'm surprised that people would shoot and dump horses like this...

Edited by westiemum

Apart from pet food, I always thought that horse meat was used in some continental meats, salamis etc

Horses slaughtered in Australia for human consumption must be sent overseas. The consumption of horse meat by humans is illegal here. That's not to say it doesn't happen as I know it does (I've seen "home slaughter" buyers at public horse auctions)...but it's not supposed to happen. I bought a pony at a sale bidding against a person known to be a home slaughterman who butchers horses to give to family and friends. It's horrific...and even though it's illegal, it goes on.

A few years ago in a place we used to live we'd often go walking in the bush. There was this one place that often had fresh dead horse bodies and lots of old ones, skulls, ect. As a horse lover I was horrified. We asked around about it and found out it was the local greyhound trainer. He fed them to his dogs and dumped the rest of the carcass in the bush. He didn't seem to think there was anything wrong with it and had been doing it for years.

This case is probably similar, but on a bigger scale

A few years ago in a place we used to live we'd often go walking in the bush. There was this one place that often had fresh dead horse bodies and lots of old ones, skulls, ect. As a horse lover I was horrified. We asked around about it and found out it was the local greyhound trainer. He fed them to his dogs and dumped the rest of the carcass in the bush. He didn't seem to think there was anything wrong with it and had been doing it for years.

This case is probably similar, but on a bigger scale

Yes. On more than one occasion I have been told of greyhound dogs slaughtered and fed back to the rest of the kennel too.

I think it's the illegal dumping of the bodies that is the problem here. I know lots of farmers dump the bodies of cattle and horses etc down in a gully on their own farms, but dumping them on public land, State forest or National parks is the issue.

I hate to think of horses being slaughtered, but it's not illegal. :(

I think it's the illegal dumping of the bodies that is the problem here. I know lots of farmers dump the bodies of cattle and horses etc down in a gully on their own farms, but dumping them on public land, State forest or National parks is the issue.

I hate to think of horses being slaughtered, but it's not illegal. :(

Yep, kill whatever you like, but don't litter. :cry: :cry:

I believe Australia used to be one of the biggest exporters of horse meat to Europe behind Canada and the USA. But with changing US legislation apparently US horses are trucked to Canada and Mexico now, so I guess Mexico is now one of the largest producer of horse meat.

from a horse site, it appears that these horses had been dumped there over many years, not a mass killing all of a sudden, but possibly one by one as they either were too old or whatever. Appears might be a racehorse trainer, potentially, and charge could be $150,000 fine. Certainly far heftier than had he done it properly. Very sad end either way for the horses, and less dignified than they deserved

As far as i know in AUS, horses are not permitted in dog food. Would have to double check.

Was wrong- although i'm not sure how credible this source is http://www.australianhorserescue.com/news/resources/horse-slaughter-in-australia-horse-meat-abattoirs-knackeries-wastage-and-related-issues/

Horses get dogged for pet meat down here, it's common and perfectly legal.

Personally, I wouldn't feed it to my dogs but I know plenty of people who do.

Just curiously, why wouldn't you feed horse to your dogs?