Bravecto

LisaCC

I just saw an advertisement on Facebook by the Autstralian Pet Treat Company for this new Tick and Flea tablet, Bravecto. This link goes to the US site that I found on it.

It says it works on paralysis tick for FOUR MONTHS!

Anyone heard anything about it? I know some people here that work at pet shops had info on Nexguard before it was released.

Edited by LisaCC

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to mention this. My friend who is a vet is selling it at her clinic, but she hasn't done the training yet personally. She said it only covers fleas for 3 months, so they suggest 3 monthly dosage. Sounds amazing!

I was going to mention this. My friend who is a vet is selling it at her clinic, but she hasn't done the training yet personally. She said it only covers fleas for 3 months, so they suggest 3 monthly dosage. Sounds amazing!

Off hand I think it got approval in the USA last September. New on the scene indeed.

Thanks Lisa CC

The studies all look promising but there's not a lot of info on side effects and the sample sizes are very small (less than 100 dogs).

Some of them - they called the study "double blind" because the vets doing the parasite count to check effectiveness didn't know what the dogs were treated with.

I thought double blind study meant the person administering (or receiving) the dose didn't know if they had an active treatment or a placebo. But I guess the person measuring results and taking details of side effects would do a better job if they don't know who got the active treatment either.

• 2 weeks later...

NexGard and Bravecto

Are you and your dog healthy and free of infectious diseases?

The new miracle cures NexGard and Bravecto have the potential to make you and your pets very sick in a short time!

Risk to humans and animals through new prevention agents ( NexGard and Bravecto )

If You Want to read the full article, click here ... ..

http://www.borreliose-nachrichten.de/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/NexGard-_and_-Bravecto1.pdf

NexGard and Bravecto

Are you and your dog healthy and free of infectious diseases?

The new miracle cures NexGard and Bravecto have the potential to make you and your pets very sick in a short time!

Risk to humans and animals through new prevention agents ( NexGard and Bravecto )

If You Want to read the full article, click here ... ..

http://www.borrelios..._-Bravecto1.pdf

I dont know who wrote that article but it was terrible.

Very emotive, and the person is overtly bias against the two new products without any real data to back up their claims..

not an article that works for me. No scientific article should be full of exclamation points.

NexGard and Bravecto have no repellent, so they do not aim to deter parasites,therefore the risk of infection for humans and animals is increasing!
laugh.gif right.

I heard about it first through FB, as I like my vet's page. I'm guessing they heard about it first as we have no rep for that company (whereas Merial (Frontline) we see every month)

I'm on the fence. My brain is having trouble with the 3 months for fleas and 4 months for paralysis tick, when every other product bar Nexgard is the opposite (longer for fleas than p. ticks).

And apparently it comes in single doses? (this is hearsay, I don't know for sure)....prices would be Bravecto $12 a month (3 months) going off Dona's price, Nexgard $17 a month (3 months) or $14.6 a month (6 months). [based on 2-4kg dogs, and prices of Nexgard at my work, no doubt it is found cheaper online!)

so fairly similar (if you buy a 6 pack of Nexgard vs. a bravecto) Main difference will be for those who don't want to remember to dose once a month. I'm better at monthly myself....I can say "it's the start of a month! Dosing time!"

I don't use Nexgard though because it's not tested in breeding animals (although I could use it on my spayed girl). And i'm iffy about Bravecto full stop....might be "safe" but the side effects on pregnant bitches (or rather, the unborn pups) put me off.

Guest donatella

Ok mine arrived and I gave to both.

About 30mins later one of them (I think Bon given the sniffles she's making) spewed dinner all over my couch then bed when I was in the shower.

I guess it's too much for her however I'm not sure what to do about tick and flea coverage as it's hard to know if it was absorbed or spewed

Ok mine arrived and I gave to both.

About 30mins later one of them (I think Bon given the sniffles she's making) spewed dinner all over my couch then bed when I was in the shower.

I guess it's too much for her however I'm not sure what to do about tick and flea coverage as it's hard to know if it was absorbed or spewed

They do usually say redose if they vomit.. But i would be hesitant

Guest donatella

Oh hell no I'll go back to nexgard, poor little baby didn't agree with her I'll call the company today

I'm wondering if she's too little for the drug as it's 2.5kg and she's just under but I thought these things had a safe weight/dose range :(

She is fine today

I thought the drugs were tested for overdoses (I know two for example, that definitely are, and are safe - within reason i.e like you used it) but I would be calling the company anyway, even though she is a little bit under the weight. Just for them to note the reaction.

Guest donatella

Yep I've been trying to find the number all day online but can't so will have to bring the packet in tomorrow.

Guest donatella

So I just called to let them know the incidence and the operator tells me that no she wouldn't have gotten a dose, I need to dose again. We hang up I'm feeling pissed off and I wouldn't be dosing her again with this product.

Then 30 secs later he calls back to get more details and to make sure I feel the vomit was because of the tablet which I am certain given the incidence and time frame. He is going to pass it on so I have more faith in it's being recorded now.