Surgery

My 9 year old Spoodle is scheduled for surgery to remove her anal sacs after a recent infection and previous ongoing compacted and spontaneous release of the foul smelling liquid. As she is an inside dog the situation has become problematic. Our vet has performed the surgery many times in his 22 years of practice without any dogs having any long term post surgery issues.

Can anyone share any experiences of the surgery?

No but the first thing I'd suggest is that you get the dog to a decent canine chiropractor and have his/her hips checked before contemplating this move.

You can also learn to express the sacs yourself. It's usually not that difficult.

Bowel incontinence can be an issue with this surgery. I would think long and hard before having it done and research all other options.

It is also (from the one person I know who had it done on their dog) incredibly painful for the dog.

Had this surgery done on a large male dog who had a long history of accesses in the anal sacs.

Yes there can be complications and yes it is painful for a short while after the operation for the dog, however, my dog recovered well. No incontinence issues afterwards and a much healthier dog.

Like you, we found a vet who had performed this operation many times.

Edited to read "absesses" (can't find my glasses!)

Edited by Mad Mary

I had my Ridgeback done as he was having repeated issues. He had issues going for a while due to scar tissue but after a few months he was back to normal. At the time our GSD was fighting cancer and our oncologist said that getting them removed was the best thing as chronic anal gland infections has a high chance of becominng cancerous.

Day 1 after surgery and Steffie our spoodle is her regular self although refusing even a 5 minute walk to work up a bowel movement. There is obvious swelling and some pain but she is in good spirits and eating very well.

Good to hear Steffie has come through surgery well. The first bowel movement will be the most painful for her and then get better over a few days. I'm sure your vet will have given you advice regarding diet while she is healing and pain relief if needed but if you have any concerns before her check up get in touch with the vet.

Week 1 since surgury and Steffie has bounced back brilliantly! She had 2 days of some unpleasantness, the first 12 hours being the most obvious signs of discomfort. She released two pebble sized poops on both day 2 and 3 and since then has had normal bowel control. Her happy mood has returned and her crazy humour as well! It's now clear her related infections and the associated irritation had dulled her somewhat as she seems younger and brighter now.

I hope these posts help to inform others in the future :)