Rescue/pound Support Options?

I'm planning on adopting a dog from a pound (Blacktown Animal Holding) We've done it before a few years ago and he's the best dog ever... except Sprocket's got separation anxiety (and thunder anxiety). Something we can't determine by checking him out at a pound. So I've been looking at Rescue dogs via PetRescue. And put my name down etc for a few. But haven't found one that would work for us.

However one came up on PetRescue which was again at Blacktown Animal Holding so I went to visit with my dog... and I want to adopt her (and have fallen in love with her). I've asked for advice and stupidly am going to ignore it. (Everyone advises me to not get another dog if I haven't fixed Sprocket's separation anxiety issues). I don't think he's got it that badly as we are able to train him to some extent to stay at home by himself when we go to work. (If it rains I then take him to someone to keep him company!)

My concern about the new adoption is that what if it doesn't work out? What if Sprocket teaches the new dog all his bad tricks (only the anxiety really!)? She's also unlikely trained in anything (can't even walk on a lead) and we're just normal people who have had dogs. I've never had a puppy as we always had rescue type dogs. So I've never had to toilet train or lead train or do anything like that.

So my questions are around support...

What forum (or area of this forum?) or other help function is available? Is there a dog parent's helpline number to call?

What happens if it all gets too much and even training (and getting a trainer in to help) doesn't work? Will a rescue organisation be able to help? Or is it something that I will have to deal with myself? Is there the equivalent of respite care? Do foster carers ever offer discounted boarding options? Trainers cost $$$ and whilst we are happy to pay for services we don't have super deep pockets.

Would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Basically if you buy from the pound its all over when you walk out the door, there is no backup.

Perhaps you would be better off going with a rescue who has their dogs in foster care and can match one upto you, give you backup and you get a trail period.

The risk you take from the pound is its very hard once you have them home to realise its not a good fit , you feel bad then about returning it. Dogs dont show their true colours in a pound, many shut down others are stir crazy in the pound ,but calmer out, so its hard to judge.

There are plenty here who will point you in the right direction of a good rescue, not all on petrescue are ehtical, so be careful.

Most pounds and rescues are constantly full and overwhelmed so it's doubtful there would be services like respite available. Some rescues provide more support than others.

I think it would be better to wait until you are more confident in Sprockets behaviour, as if you adopt from a pound, you're pretty much on your own and trainers aren't cheap.

I had a rescue that originally had epilepsy and had been heavily medicated from 6 months old. It took three years of work but eventually he was off all meds and no longer fitting. But we were left with significant separation anxiety and fears relating to storms, the garbage man, rustling plastic bags and a long list of other things. He came to live with me because I had his mother and had fostered her when she whelped, raised the pups and helped with his original adoption. If I didn't take him he would've been pts. His mum was only 1 year older than him. Not once did his behaviours ever change the behaviour of his mother. In his heightened sense of anxiety she was irrelevant to him. She pretty much left him to whatever damage he was doing and never barked or cried or did anything to indicate he was losing the plot. She may as well have not existed to him when he was freaking out so obviously her presence did not reduce his separation issues. She was not scared of anything and nothing he did changed that.

We managed him fairly well but not perfectly. Both dogs were dropped to my parents while I went to work. I worked local to home so if a storm was brewing I'd go home and bring him back to work with me. But there were unexpected events and he would tear things apart to get to a human and what he perceived as safety. One of these events led to him injuring himself and needing to be pts at 11.5 years of age. It can be a life long effort.

So my advice is to ensure your next dog is bomb proof and you are unlikely to be able to determine that with a pound dog. There is also no return policy or support provided with a pound dog. You are asking for things to fail by going down that path.

So my questions are around support...

What forum (or area of this forum?) or other help function is available?

There's different sections, I think you'd be in the training section if you're worried about ongoing issues. Have you begun a thread about your anxious dog? If not, do that right now. Right now, before getting the new dog. You will receive some great advice.

Is there a dog parent's helpline number to call?

No :) Not as far as I know. Unless you have a trainer or have maybe gotten involved in obedience classes or dog sports where you will meet dog savvy people that you can fall back on. There's always Dol for a bit of support.

What happens if it all gets too much and even training (and getting a trainer in to help) doesn't work? Will a rescue organisation be able to help?

You mean returning the dog? It will only help if you have adopted from a reputable rescue with a backup policy. This is another advantage of rescue over pounds if you aren't feeling confident but as juice says, not every rescue is equal or honest.

Or is it something that I will have to deal with myself?

Yes, you can return the dog to the pound or rehome yourself. Maybe you will find a rescue who takes surrenders but often the available spaces need to go to pound dogs. Some may offer assisted rehoming, i.e. you keep the dog while they advertise for you

Is there the equivalent of respite care? Do foster carers ever offer discounted boarding options?

No :) respite care would probably be you getting a dog walker, sending the dogs to doggy daycare a couple of times a week or boarding them. Carer board, sometimes. But carers are really the ones who need respite sometimes. Again, any spare foster carer spots are quickly filled with a new pound dog.

In the end, you have to realise that when you go to the pound, buy a dog and bring it home, there is no obligation for rescues to offer to take the dog for you if it doesn't work out. Rescue focus is on pound dogs, because they are the ones who die. You as a member of the public have taken on full responsibility for the pound dog you select.

Many choose to rehome mistake purchases themselves because sending a dog back to the pound classes it as a 'surrender'. These surrendered dogs have no mandatory holding time and can be put to sleep at any time.

Edited by Powerlegs

Thanks everyone!

I figured as much but took the plunge. I had been in contact with a lot of trainers/rescue people in the past 3 years looking for a good second dog so did a bit of ringing around for advice before hand.

Unfortunately I had fallen in love with the little mutt so she is now home with us. She's settling in pretty well and is trying to get Sprocket to play with her all the time. He's dealing with it just like any old grumpy dog with some grace and some small growls. I think it all seems normal from what I can understand.

make sure you give him somewhere to escape if he needs to, so he doesn't have to deal with her annoying him.

yes. And redirect her. If he realises a simple growl won't stop her then he'll have to try more.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wow...three days from the time you posted your questions/issues to the time you posted you bought the dog from the pound. I hope it's working out. As a rescuer, I wouldn't adopt out to someone within that time frame...I tend to have a few meet and greet sessions with the adopter and the dog...do a few checks on the home...ensure the application is completed honestly...and then there's the two-week trial where I keep legal custody of the dog in the event things don't work out. I'm all about the dog's welfare, not the adopter's. But that's just me.

Wow...three days from the time you posted your questions/issues to the time you posted you bought the dog from the pound. I hope it's working out. As a rescuer, I wouldn't adopt out to someone within that time frame...I tend to have a few meet and greet sessions with the adopter and the dog...do a few checks on the home...ensure the application is completed honestly...and then there's the two-week trial where I keep legal custody of the dog in the event things don't work out. I'm all about the dog's welfare, not the adopter's. But that's just me.

What is your rescue called?

What is your rescue called?

Did I say I have my own rescue group? If you got that impression, I can only apologise. I'm a foster carer.

You said "as a rescuer" in your post above. I'm a rescuer, I rescue dogs from pounds and owners and rehome them.

Foster caring is a wonderful thing to do but quite different as rescuing is a massive undertaking, both financially, emotionally and physically. It's pretty demanding stuff.

It does also sound like the rescue group you are with do give you an awful lot of responsibility, it's myself and Indigirl that have the final say with our rescue.

However we all work differently. Which rescue are you fostering for can I ask?

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad

Yvonneh's new dog was from Blacktown Pound.

Congratulations on your new family member, Yvonneh. Don't worry too much; a lot of people can overthink things.

Photos are a must, I think.

I'm trusted to make my own decisions for the groups with which I work. I have as much or as little responsibility as I choose - I've been rescuing for a decade or more. In that time I've also worked in shelters (paid and voluntary). If you like, I'm an independent rescuer with the support of a number of groups, some of which have been around a while and others which are newer.

I choose which dogs I take on and from what sources. I'm pretty lucky in that respect. :)

It can be costly in terms of both money and emotional energy. But I find it really rewarding and I know my limits as well. I've seen some in rescue take on too much, leaving them at risk of burn out. I've got four dogs of my own and never have more than one foster dog at a time. I also have my own place on several acres. :)

CountryGirl - so far, all the posts I've read by you sound very angry. I'm going to assume that's merely the limitations of a keyboard and NOT how you really are.

Have to agree with you, SM. And I am wondering why CountryGirl thinks this is the appropriate thread to mount her case :confused: :confused:

I'm not at all angry. :)

People asked me questions and I replied.

If anything, I've started to see what a diverse collection of people use this forum, some of them seem to have a different agenda to me and that's okay. We don't all have to be playing the same game as long as our focus is in the right spot. :thumbsup: