Help Needed Please1

I have received an email from one of my puppy owners who is having some issues with her Vizsla.

This has happened very suddenly and has quickly escelated to become difficult to live with.

Background:

6yo Male (Desexed) Vizsla named Giddy.

Always been an amazing dog from day one. Never had an issue. Ever.

Was one of two Vizslas in a family of two adults and two children.

Adults have seperated and the other Vizsla has since deceased, but both these were at least a couple of years ago and Giddy coped well.

Giddy is very much a part of the family. Lives inside but with access outside at all times. Alone approx 6 hours a day. Goes on all family holidays etc.

Issues:

Recently Giddy has become very anxious. He has become more 'needy' than normal (even for a Vizsla). Owner describes him as being "out of control needy, and needing valium".

Has been receiving even more 1 on 1 attention and exercise, but appears to be getting worse.

Giddy has begun panicking on hard floors. Will refuse to walk across them at most times or if he 'forgets' and finds himself in the middle of a hard floor, he will either freeze until he is rescued, or completely panick to the point of risking injury to himself.

I gather there are some more issues, to a lesser degree, but am waiting on some further information.

Can anyone suggest ways to help poor Giddy, or better yet, what may have brought on such behaviors after so many wonderful years?

I look forward to any suggestions or advice, and will pass on all your posts. Thank you! :thanks:

Edited by jerojath

If it was just one thing like the floor behavior then I would think something bad had happened on a hard surface. If there is a lot of weird new behavior I would be thinking that there is a medical reason for it.

My first bet would be a really thorough vet check. Perhaps his eyesight isn't great or something else is going on?

Have they had him looked over?

Not sure. I know they aren't overly impressed with the Vet in their town, so generally travel to see my Vet.

They always visit when they do, so I'm guessing he hasn't been for a little while.

Will certainly suggest it. Thanks!

If it was just one thing like the floor behavior then I would think something bad had happened on a hard surface. If there is a lot of weird new behavior I would be thinking that there is a medical reason for it.

My thoughts exactly, re: the floor issues.

Will ask her to take him to the Vet for a full exam.

Edited by jerojath

Yeah a thorough check up would be my first port of call - perhaps he has issues crossing the slippery floor due to sore areas in his back or legs? Or vision problems? Maybe he slipped when crossing it and got hurt, that could be enough to upset a sensitive boy! Have they tried putting down mats for him to walk across, or using booties with some traction?

Just thought I'd pop in with an update...

I bombarded Giddy's owner with questions over the weekend.

It seems his general anxiety may have been triggered by a 'clean out' over the last few weeks.

Giddy's Mum had a big clean out of the family home, ridding it of much clutter as her two boys grow out of toys and clothes etc.

As the family have moved house twice in two years, poor Giddy thought they were moving again as boxes were packed and stacked up in the back room.

The boxes will be moved out promtly and his Mum will try and be more discreet in the future!

Regarding his fear of hard floors, it has been discovered that a few weeks ago while on holiday to the family's farm, Giddy was hoovering for food under the dining table and chairs.

Unbeknown to his Mum, he got 'stuck' among the chair legs at one point, and panicked, slipping around in his attempt to escape.

A family member saw this occur and helped him out, but completely forgot to tell Giddy's Mum!

So it seems there are reasons for both these recent issues, and coupled with his sensitive nature, has created these anxieties.

They now know what has brought them about, so will be very patient and give him time to relax and settle again, starting with some rubber matting across the polished wood floor!

Just to be sure, he will be going in for a thorough exam soon enough, and I will post here again if there are any interesting findings.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts! :)