Anxiety Meds And Supplements

Anyone aware of safety of trytophans with prosac? I did ask my vet, but as she seemed a little unsure of the medication (I'm a nurse, and I felt her answers were a little - sketchy) wanted to confirm the advice she gave to me - that trytophans are safe to give with prosac? I wanted to start Annie on some B12/trotophans to plan ahead for the time when she wont be taking prosac and alprazolam.

I was concerned re:serotonin syndrome, but my own research has shown that in humans there is a low risk of serotonin syndrome in ppl taking 5htp with a low dose of anti-depressants.

P.S dog calming music is doing wonders for annies crate training - would highly recommend it for night time use with anxious dogs.

Thanks for your input! With much appreciation.

Susie, Huw and Annie.

• 8 months later...

Fluoxetine decreases the reuptake of serotonin, prolonging its activity in the brain.

Tryptophan is a precursor of serotonin.

Serotonin syndrome can be seen with fluox overdoses in dogs, as well as from gross overdose of serotonin precursors.

I would imagine that giving both substances together could potentiate the action of fluoxetine, and thereby increase the risk of serotonin syndrome. But I have no evidence that is actually the case, and have certainly not heard that giving both together is absolutely contraindicated.

If you were my client, I would advise you to be very cautious with your dosing when adding tryptophan to fluoxetine, but ultimately, observing your own animal would guide our treatment decisions.

Also please remember to discuss any issues or suggestions raised on DOL with your vet, before changing up your dog's treatment regime. :)

Anyone aware of safety of trytophans with prosac? I did ask my vet, but as she seemed a little unsure of the medication (I'm a nurse, and I felt her answers were a little - sketchy) wanted to confirm the advice she gave to me - that trytophans are safe to give with prosac? I wanted to start Annie on some B12/trotophans to plan ahead for the time when she wont be taking prosac and alprazolam.

I was concerned re:serotonin syndrome, but my own research has shown that in humans there is a low risk of serotonin syndrome in ppl taking 5htp with a low dose of anti-depressants.

P.S dog calming music is doing wonders for annies crate training - would highly recommend it for night time use with anxious dogs.

Thanks for your input! With much appreciation.

Susie, Huw and Annie.

Thanks for the replies guys, that was pretty much what i thought would happen - so we ended up holding on to the trytophan in case we managed to wean Annie off the prozac, but didnt give it at the time as I thought it might induce serotonin syndrome. We did discuss it with our vet at the time but they didnt seem to 'get' my concerns re serotonin syndrome or have much knowledge of it. Good to know I was right to be cautious. :)