Rescue Workers And Suicide?

Stressmagnet

It's about time the real stress of rescue is being recognised and support/councilling being available, it is often emotionally, mentally, financially and physically draining.

Even fostering/rescuing on a small scale takes its toll so does working with other people's animals.

There's a guy called Nathan J Winograd who has made a film about reducing the numbers of healthy animals killed by shetlers.

If the shelters are run differently - more animals can have homes found for them, and fewer healthy animals are killed and the shelter staff feel like they're doing some good. I think the ACT shelter is on this path?

PETA don't like him very much. He dropped them right in it for running shelters with high kill rates. I've found on their website that they don't think anyone should have a pet. So that makes it a bit hard for them to find pet homes.

I'm a bit fuzzy on what Nathan's method is for achieving his results but I do know that bringing the shelter animals to the people - helps find homes faster. Visiting the shelters can be very stressful for everyone - I know - that's where I got my current dog - it was really horrible, and oppressive feeling. I had to steel myself up to take only the right dog for me home. Got really lucky.

Absolutely TSD- unfortunately see it all the time.

There is a serious lack of support when working in animal welfare and unfortunately some of the stress and poor treatment of people comes from within the shelter- co-workers, bosses, committees etc

No kill to me means not killing healthy, stable animals. It doesn't mean rehoming sick or aggressive animals. I think this gets lost on some people.

Yes, Winograd's U.S.-centric book is used like a bible in some circles. And the 'no kill' message gets translated into literally save everything with a heartbeat.

I think there's a lot of factors that go into burnout and the vicious infighting between rescues, activists, members of the public and pounds; doesn't help. Rangers for example, get absolutely slammed if they mark a vicious dog as not for sale. Some crazies go as far as death threats. :mad

And I've seen it. NFS dogs getting all the attention while the other dogs get ignored until the last moment if at all.

Then there's the poor vets. :(

Edited by Powerlegs

No kill to me means not killing healthy, stable animals. It doesn't mean rehoming sick or aggressive animals. I think this gets lost on some people.

Yes, Winograd's U.S.-centric book is used like a bible in some circles. And the 'no kill' message gets translated into literally save everything with a heartbeat.

I think there's a lot of factors that go into burnout and the vicious infighting between rescues, activists, members of the public and pounds; doesn't help. Rangers for example, get absolutely slammed if they mark a vicious dog as not for sale. Some crazies go as far as death threats. :mad

And I've seen it. NFS dogs getting all the attention while the other dogs get ignored until the last moment if at all.

Then there's the poor vets. :(

I like to give my vets presents to let them know I appreciate them. Sometimes it must be so tough.

:) I'm sure they appreciate that. :heart: It must be a hard and thankless job at times.

That poor vet up in NT, Jenny Wells... what she must have been through to go so far off the edge. :cry: A tragic example.

There was a situation in one welfare organisation where a few volunteers stormed the vet clinic one day and told the vet in there that if they *#*##** euthanased that dog (had shown aggression in multiple contexts including a home environment- dog had been returned) they would #*#*#*#* kill them.

You'd think those volunteers would be asked not to return wouldn't you? They continued to volunteer. And the dog wasn't euthanased. The culture WITHIN some animal welfare organisations is truly disturbing.

I think some rescuers are clearly disturbed before they start rescuing. Rescue seems to attract some unstable personalities who need to bolster their egos by showing the world what good people they are. If you read some of the Rescue facebook pages some posters seem to be in their own little world and have their own mission to save everything and to attack anyone who disagrees with them. It's quite scary.

Please I said 'some' so don't jump on me. I know that many rescues are well run by very stable responsible people and they do a great job.

There was a situation in one welfare organisation where a few volunteers stormed the vet clinic one day and told the vet in there that if they *#*##** euthanased that dog (had shown aggression in multiple contexts including a home environment- dog had been returned) they would #*#*#*#* kill them.

You'd think those volunteers would be asked not to return wouldn't you? They continued to volunteer. And the dog wasn't euthanased. The culture WITHIN some animal welfare organisations is truly disturbing.

That doesn't surprise me at all. I've witnessed similar.

I'm not ashamed to say there is a reason for me only lasting 7 years in rescue... I got out when I realised that "doing good" isn't always good for one...

I'm still plenty happy to support those tireless souls who are out there day after day getting the job done right though...

T.

I think some rescuers are clearly disturbed before they start rescuing. Rescue seems to attract some unstable personalities who need to bolster their egos by showing the world what good people they are. If you read some of the Rescue facebook pages some posters seem to be in their own little world and have their own mission to save everything and to attack anyone who disagrees with them. It's quite scary.

Please I said 'some' so don't jump on me. I know that many rescues are well run by very stable responsible people and they do a great job.

'Some' yes, but more than enough to go around! :D

I bailed from FB anyway, it was exhausting and I can't afford to waste the time. Some of the stuff going on was so wrong but prepare for a kick up the butt if you point it out.

That doesn't surprise me at all. I've witnessed similar.

:eek: :eek: And they didn't get the boot? Too scared of a full-on war?

I'm not ashamed to say there is a reason for me only lasting 7 years in rescue... I got out when I realised that "doing good" isn't always good for one...

I'm still plenty happy to support those tireless souls who are out there day after day getting the job done right though...

T.

Yep 6 years was all I had in me. Once I realised that the people I dealt with were making me irrationally angry I realised it was time to stop. I think for many people who I worked with at the time, who still are heavily involved, there is a real belief that if you stop all the animals will die and that keeps you going. I've proven that others will step up and, even if they don't do it the way you would, animals still make it out alive.

Rescue is soul-destroying and horrifically hard.

Edited by Trisven13

It's a huge problem in the industry, and it's partially fueled in my opinion by the idea that 'if you love animals you'll work tirelessly day in day out for no financial gain, cut off everything else in your life and focus completely on rescue'. It's not healthy and it makes it so hard for people to say no or stand up for their own emotional wellbeing and self-care.

Team Dog is looking to run some compassion fatigue workshops for the rescue/shelter community hopefully this year. I can pop back in and update the thread with the info when it's organised if anyone is interested?