Emmylou

nickyp

I've been trying to come up with appropriate words for Em, but I can't, so I've stolen the ones my OH wrote for her:

Goodbye, Emmylou, Puppy Deluxe

Emmylou spent so long being a puppy, and waited such an incredibly long time to become a grown-up, that we almost forgot that, at fourteen years, she was an old dog. In some ways this was a blessing, because she didn’t jump over garden fences or simply push them down. And, while she still pulled on the lead, she didn’t actually pull us off our feet or flatten the children in every interaction.

When she was young, I used to let her run while I rode along side her on the bike track at Point Cook, which sounds like a good idea, but she was both fast and strong. So fast that I had trouble keeping up with her on my bike, and so strong that she brought me off the bike at high speed at least once. Obviously, we went back to walking her on foot and, until quite recently, she was intrepidly exploring the neighbourhood on walks with us.

Unfortunately, with her slowing down, we missed that she was properly sick, not that we could have done much more to help her. Several key organs were on the way out and, by the time we realised, it was too late to do anything but have her home with us for as long as possible to say goodbye with the time that we had.

Emmylou, if you ever had the experience of meeting her, was called the Puppy Deluxe for a good reason. She came with all the optional extras – the plush coat, overdrive, and a killer smile. And, although she was mostly terribly amused with her own excessive personality, she was a kind and friendly dog, if you don’t count the few times that she flat-out harassed other animals who came too close to our son.

It’s too early to wax lyrical about the Puppy Deluxe, since the feeling of loss at the moment is just like being knocked over by the dog herself, but she did have an amazing and vivid life with us and things will always be a bit less colourful without her being here in person.

post-336-0-22973100-1430274978_thumb.jpg

". She came with all the optional extras – the plush coat, overdrive, and a killer smile. And, although she was mostly terribly amused with her own excessive personality, she was a kind and friendly dog, if you don’t count the few times that she flat-out harassed other animals who came too close to our son."

PERFECT words.. I can visualise Emmylou from your words.

what a lovely soul..

blessings to all who now have a hole in their lives where Em lived and loved.

Hugs

Helen

Thank you all for your thoughts. She was, indeed, the Puppy Deluxe. It's far too quiet around here without her.

I explained the idea of the Rainbow Bridge to my children and my daughter drew this picture. It shows Emmylou (black dog) being met by Indiana (brown dog) who died at the start of 2014 and my dad and my sister who both died in 2013. My sister has thrown Em's favourite red ball.

post-336-0-31868700-1430437725_thumb.jpg

Edited by nickyp

My thoughts are with you and your family NickyP, such a hard time for you all.

Wishing you peace over the coming weeks and hope time goes quickly for you until the day when you can remember Emmylou with less tears and more smiles :grouphug:

Thank you all for your thoughts. She was, indeed, the Puppy Deluxe. It's far too quiet around here without her.

I explained the idea of the Rainbow Bridge to my children and my daughter drew this picture. It shows Emmylou (black dog) being met by Indiana (brown dog) who died at the start of 2014 and my dad and my sister who both died in 2013. My sister has thrown Em's favourite red ball.

post-336-0-31868700-1430437725_thumb.jpg

I cried when I read this.

That's a beautiful picture.

Run free over the rainbow bridge Emmylou