Medical Misconceptions

Steph M

I've not gone to the vet for it, but I found a tick on my old doggy, and was trying to remove it with the tweezers....um, it was a skin tag. Dog was not impressed, but no damage done, except to my pride. :laugh:

Yep I was trying to pull a tick off Stan that was actually a nipple. Luckily it was him and he was screaming at me (as you would) because if it was Maddie I could've ripped that sucker right off as she has a very high pain tolerance :eek:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a lady friend of mine rushed her male dog to the vet with sudden swelling on either side of his penis....only to be gently informed that her male dog was having "pleasant thoughts" laugh.giflaugh.gif

another friend was helping a first time stud dog...and owner's...when the stud dog had lost interest in the bitch, my friend said to the male owner to "take the dog out & stimulate him", male owner grabbed a tennis ball!!!!! She had to quietly say "Not THAT type of stimulation!!!" rofl1.gif

Oh so many stories from my vet hospital years..............

Mummies little seal point Princess mummies girl baby cat who came in to be speyed...... and went out castrated. Why did you think it was a girl? It had nipples.

I brought my dog in to be castrated 3 months ago and you didn't do it, you left his balls behind......double check, definitely no testicles in the scrotum.......Owner flips him over......there see right there..........Okay that is his bulbous Glandis and it means ummm he is a bit excited. His testicles were down there............

I need my dog looked at I think there is something wrong with him, his pee comes out near his bottom not from his tummy..............your dog is a girl, their vulva is situated down there ( grab female dog owned by clinic staff member to show it is in fact normal) .............Oh are they different?, I thought they were all the same............yes she had children of her own. You would have thought she figured out males and females were in fact different.............

I am not sure why my cats keeping falling pregnant and having kittens, they are locked inside...........Don't you have an entire Tom at home?.........Well yes but he is their brother and son, he would never do that..............sigh..........

Many many many many cats who came in to be speyed that went out castrated, too many to mention. Part of the admit procedure for a cat desexing want to inspect rear end of cat and look to see if a boy or girl. It only became a bit tricky once when a boy cam in but had bilateral retained testes :)

Edited by OSoSwift

I brought my dog in to be castrated 3 months ago and you didn't do it, you left his balls behind......double check, definitely no testicles in the scrotum.......Owner flips him over......there see right there..........Okay that is his bulbous Glandis and it means ummm he is a bit excited. His testicles were down there............

I get people asking me this one all the time as "the resident dog/animal person". "I think the vet stuffed up the desexing! His balls are still there!!" rofl1.gif

It's a surprisingly common thought!

Explaining what it's for turns to interesting dinner table discussion...

Edited by LisaCC

I've not gone to the vet for it, but I found a tick on my old doggy, and was trying to remove it with the tweezers....um, it was a skin tag. Dog was not impressed, but no damage done, except to my pride. :laugh:

Been there, done that. Felt really bad afterwards

When I had my thyroid out, my mother was staying at my house and looking after 2 of my dogs... she rang me about an hour after I'd been wheeled back into the ward, still groggy from the anaesthetic, to ask if Zeddy had a tick near her eye... it was a big mole and had been there for ages, including the 3 days prior to me going into hospital when my mum was at my house...

T.

once when working at a kennel, a workmate and I took the very old kennel cat to the vet ...she was ... looking most unwell, panting/drooling .. and so were we .. :o

Well, we gave her to the vet , and sat in the waiting room and bawled .... and were still bawling when he came out and explained that she had licked something nasty , and would be fine ;)

Edited by persephone

I get people asking me this one all the time as "the resident dog/animal person". "I think the vet stuffed up the desexing! His balls are still there!!" rofl1.gif

I rang the vet in a panic over this when Brembo was about 6 months old. He had been desexed as an 8 week old pup (RSPCA rescue puppy).

It was somewhat hilarious when the vet told me it was because he was sexually excited....apparently me returning home from work was very stimulating for him lol.

I also freaked out thinking he had a brain tumour due to a dome on his head....only to be told it was his skull and completely normal :D

Hahaha loving some of these! I had the opposite problem. Took a 7month old Whip in for a regular chiro (along with about 5 other dogs) and the first thing the vet asked seas "what is wrong with your puppies neck?" We looked at each other confused and told her we hadn't noticed anything. Turns out he had a grass seed embedded (presumably swallowed and went through the throat). He had a lump the size of a tennis ball on his neck and we hadn't even noticed! In our defence we were assured it could have grown to that size in a matter of hours and in the rush of organising 6 dogs for an afternoon vet visit could easily be missed...

With my first litter of puppies I ended out paying a $120 vet bill for some puppy buyers whose puppy threw up on the way home. Turns out it was simply carsickness. Thereafter I was careful to fast puppies for several hours before sending them off in the car.

I've been accused of failing to desex a dog more than once. The discussions often get very heated once the owners start accusing you of ripping them off because (they think) you left their dogs nuts in situ, lol.

The first year we had Bru I swear I sent the vet on holiday with our out of hours visits.

One time I was convinced he was limping and therefore must have hip dysplesia (sp!!) .

The vet makes him walk up and down, dog is wagging his tail so much and no limp, vet says to me with a smirk he's the most healthy dog he'd seen( and seeing he'd seen him the prior week for something else my baby dog had, he should know)

Another time we thought Chloe had eaten a kg bag of chocolate. It was good Friday and the vet gave me choice, take her to the out of hours animal hospital 45 mins away, or make her sick and watch her all evening . So we did the latter and then next day realised that actually she didn't eat the chocolate ( 4 hrs outside with the dog, few calls to the vet ) and it was a rat!!)

Thankfully I got smarter after that first year!

Lol

Years ago i rang our vet for advice as one of our Cavs (who was about 2 at the time) was running around crazy and knocking into things and panting hard ... I thought he was having a fit of some sort.. The nurse said it sound like he's having a zoomie. Said if he doesn't calm down in the next 20 mins or so to bring him in.. Of course he did stop a few mins after i got off the phone embarrass.gif

Miah has done neaps and i've i have never rung the vets about them laugh.gif

another time years ago i noticed what look like dried blood on Renae's paw and was quite worried she had cut herself.. i was almost going get it checked by the vet but luckily i had worked out she had put her paw the day before on her birthday cake which i had done pink cake icing for laugh.gif that would have been very embarrassing! embarrass.gif

I find it really interesting how some people rush to the vet for the most benign of things and others can't be dragged to the vet kicking for even the most horrible looking things. I was grooming a dog during the week, a regular, and it was just standing on the table when it sort of snorted a tiny bit and the next thing there is blood going everywhere. It pulled a spontaneous explosive nose bleed on me. I call the owner immediately asked them to collect the dog asap get it to the vet, and they were like, can't we just wait until we pick up the dogs (hadn't don't their other dog at this stage). Yeah sure no problem I will just let your dog bleed profusely from the nose while I try to calmly groom your other dog, see you in an hour! For dog sake if it were my dog is have been there to collect it before the phone was hung up and off to the vet! And yes I did get the owner pronto to the vet, but it took some convincing!

I find it really interesting how some people rush to the vet for the most benign of things and others can't be dragged to the vet kicking for even the most horrible looking things. I was grooming a dog during the week, a regular, and it was just standing on the table when it sort of snorted a tiny bit and the next thing there is blood going everywhere. It pulled a spontaneous explosive nose bleed on me. I call the owner immediately asked them to collect the dog asap get it to the vet, and they were like, can't we just wait until we pick up the dogs (hadn't don't their other dog at this stage). Yeah sure no problem I will just let your dog bleed profusely from the nose while I try to calmly groom your other dog, see you in an hour! For dog sake if it were my dog is have been there to collect it before the phone was hung up and off to the vet! And yes I did get the owner pronto to the vet, but it took some convincing!

Yea, as funny as these things are I would much rather people be overly cautious and take their dogs in for benign things than not take their dogs to the vet at all or until the very last minute.

Yea, as funny as these things are I would much rather people be overly cautious and take their dogs in for benign things than not take their dogs to the vet at all or until the very last minute.

Our Vets have always agreed with that attitude.

And their pockets have not always been lined with a consulation fee.

For me, Vet trust is a crucial part of animal ownership.