Why An *emergency Recall? *

Hi all....found the other thread fascinating and have been following up with lots of reading and videos etc. My question is Why train an emergency recall? If I have conditioned my dog to a Really Reliable Recall..why would I train an *ordinary* one as well? Ideally my dog would turn and come to me instantly with either one surely?

Hi all....found the other thread fascinating and have been following up with lots of reading and videos etc. My question is Why train an emergency recall? If I have conditioned my dog to a Really Reliable Recall..why would I train an *ordinary* one as well? Ideally my dog would turn and come to me instantly with either one surely?

My thoughts exactly

I have a few recalls:

The formal obedience one (run back super fast, line up directly in front of me, sit to attention - stiff body eyc ). I'd use this in trials if I ever actually went to one!

I have my normal/emergency one (much like the one above, but the sit doesn't have to line up perfectly). Stay until released. Perfect for getting out of trouble or leaving the park as I put the leash on when he's in a sit.

I also have a "check in " recall where he has to come back quickly (not at top speed) and get close without stopping or sitting. Perfect for getting him back near me if he strays too far.

Why so many? Because I use them for different things . If I only had one it would become diluted because I wouldn't want to enforce strict obedience criteria every time I wanted him back to me .

The emergency is not a nice come here thing it's a just get over here as fast as you can. There's no sit or anything, it's not on the dogs name but on a sound you wouldn't normally make. Mines on a clicking sound, or was until the new neighbours used that for their dogs.

Mines very much conditioned to be on the run and getting the heck out of there.

I think it's a bit like the emergency phone call vs the ordinary phone call

I don't always want or need the emergency response...

And different calls mean different things.

One of my oldest recall not quite recall cues was "this way" as in - attention - I'm changing direction now... you might want to pay attention.

And I had "come" for the obedience recall.

And I've got a whole lot of recalls for get inside the back door.

which mean slightly different things.

Ie "in or out" or "shutting the door now" - it's her choice, but if she doesn't come at a steady plod - I'm going to shut the door before she gets there. Often she takes the extra outside time as a last minute toilet opportunity ie - she knows she's going to be in for a while so she'd better clear out what she can before she comes in.

And then there's "cheese" or just opening the fridge door... which I can then pair with other commands like the emergency recall one.

I don't really want her coming in the back door going flat out - because there's a few obstacles and a slippery floor.

The main thing is - you want a clean cue that you start using after you've got the response you want, for the emergency recall and you don't poison it with ordinary or poor performance during the learning process. Ie you don't want a bit of "go sniff" and "evict the pigeons" on the way.

I have a formal recall and an informal recall. Both mean I want you here now as fast as you can but with the formal recall I train for very straight close sits, the informal means I want you here fast but sitting doesn't matter as long as I can get my hand/s on you.

I have an emergency stop rather than recall. From there I can recall, go to them or re-direct the direction they are going in.

Kinf of off topic

My MIL talks about having an emergency stop for her dogs back when my hubby was a kid.

It was halt (i think) and it = do not move another inch. She credits it saving a human kids life one day when they nearly got hit by a car And it was the first thing she thought/yelled :)

I have an emergency stop rather than recall. From there I can recall, go to them or re-direct the direction they are going in.

Kinf of off topic

My MIL talks about having an emergency stop for her dogs back when my hubby was a kid.

It was halt (i think) and it = do not move another inch. She credits it saving a human kids life one day when they nearly got hit by a car And it was the first thing she thought/yelled :)

I yelled stop, sit at my then bolting 2yo once. It worked admirably. The lady lookign on looked like she wasn't sure whether to be impressed or horrified!

My Dobe had a particularly good instant down, then I redirected, so recall, stay, whatever. My Whippets don't as I have never taught it too them like I did to her.

Edited by OSoSwift