Best Vs Overrated Breeds Table Akc

Guest donatella

Also, calling a pointer, husky or whippet dumb. LOL.

I like my dogs a little slower than me mentally. Its how I keep up, dammit!

Ha. Me too. I would never own a working breed for that reason. I feel like Sid and I are even steven :laugh:

Same! Every day I know what I am gonna get with him, we have an agreement, we work well as a team. For me, at this stage of life and in time he is perfect, and he is smart because he has his whole life worked out, and he has developed ways to ask for what he needs and what behaviors to show to get rewards, but put obstacles in front of him and he looks to me for guidance, which is PERFECT, for me.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hopefully it's just a bit of fun because trying to rank dogs on intelligence is such a ridiculous concept. They are bred for purpose - intelligence is a human concept IMO.

As for border collies - I've got 4. All are incredibly different, think for themselves at varying degrees.....largely a reflection of my progression as a trainer. ;)

It's good for a bit of a giggle, but that's about it.

It is certainly a bit of fun. As well as variation within a breed, you get variation within litters. It is remarkable that Zeph and Flint come from the same litter. One is an evil genius, the other is the biggest lovable doofus you have ever met. And then there is Tank. One brother has plenty of drive, the other brother resides on the family couch.

Guest donatella

Hopefully it's just a bit of fun because trying to rank dogs on intelligence is such a ridiculous concept. They are bred for purpose - intelligence is a human concept IMO.

As for border collies - I've got 4. All are incredibly different, think for themselves at varying degrees.....largely a reflection of my progression as a trainer. ;)

It's good for a bit of a giggle, but that's about it.

Things like this aren't new, Stanley (Steven?) Cohen wrote a whole book ranking the intelligence of dogs...

My whippets aren't dumb. Looks like they classify all the independent hunting sighthounds as dumb. What have they based it on I wonder. I think they're dumb.

I think pretty much all the hounds were labeled as "dumb", which suggests to me that they've judged on biddability, not actual intelligence.

Most of the greyhounds I've had were very intelligent, the difference between them and a border collie is that the hound isn't going to do what you ask of it just because you asked.

For example.. they won't often fetch. After all, if you wanted the ball so much, why did you throw it away to start with? They're also bright enough to figure out that if they don't want to work for their food like a performing monkey, they can just wait until dinner time for their regular meal. Liver treats might be nice but so is going back to bed and sleeping until dinner.

A dog (or type) bred for hundreds of years to hunt independently of human guidance just doesn't have much use for being told what to do and personally, I like that trait. If independence is such a negative, cats are basically the worst pets ever :shrug:

So according to this chart Boxers are dumb and over-rated. The only logical explanation for this error is that they based it on one dog, -the 'Boxer' pictured in the chart, with his inexplicably small head and weird as hell body shape. laugh.gif

While I won't claim that mine is super-smart, he certainly is easy to live with. He has a sunny, confident temperament, is dog and human-friendly, and is not worried by fireworks/ storms or vet visits. He is not destructive or a digger, only alert barks when there is something unusual (like the neighbours being burgled) but is otherwise quiet, and he is a cheerful companion with a soft spot for kids. While we've only achieved basic obedience, many other Boxers that I know have performed well in obedience, agility and lure-coursing. So no, not a dumb breed.

Edited by trinabean

lol, bit of fun and clearly one person's opinion vs the overall popularity of a breed

I can't say I rate my cockers problem solving abilities particularly high although apparently he's ranks in the top 50% of breed intelligence, Wooo Collie! :p

I think hazy needs to write in with stans antics, don't tell me a fridge/oven opening greyhound ain't got the smarts :rofl:

:laugh: Stan maybe as dumb as a box of rocks but when it comes to food he's a Rhodes Scholar!

Maddie on the other hand is an evil genius O.o and I can't even see the cat :/ don't tell me they were stupid enough to put it next to the greyhound :p

Dumber than a box of rocks is a phrase I use often with my two as well rofl1.gif They may not be bright but they have us wrapped tightly around their paws...

I think charts like these focus more on dog owners who perhaps aren't quite as educated about their dogs as the average DOL forum user. People who buy a bulldog because 'it's so cute look at its face' and don't think about the problems that it might have with its health etc. This is also about health, longevity, cost and not just intelligence. Of course, it's hard to actually rate a dog's intelligence, because what are you actually looking at. Health and cost and longevity however are easier to quantify.

Worth keeping in mind that this chart will include puppy farm dogs as well as well bred dogs. A bulldog from a reputable breeder who health tests and isn't breeding for over exaggerated features will be very different from a bulldog bred for $$$.

Also, no lapphunds. Must be cause they are so awesome they don't fit on the chart :laugh: :D

I think hazy needs to write in with stans antics, don't tell me a fridge/oven opening greyhound ain't got the smarts :rofl:

:laugh: Stan maybe as dumb as a box of rocks but when it comes to food he's a Rhodes Scholar!

Maddie on the other hand is an evil genius O.o and I can't even see the cat :/ don't tell me they were stupid enough to put it next to the greyhound :p

Dumber than a box of rocks is a phrase I use often with my two as well rofl1.gif They may not be bright but they have us wrapped tightly around their paws...

Exactly, we say it with luuuurve :)

It doesn't upset me I love my dumbo just the way he is...everyone should have a Stanley in their life :D

Having watched a lot of dogs autonomously learn (or try to learn) the same task during my studies, I would say success is dependent on several things. Fastest dogs to learn a discrimination task in my study was my Swedish Vallhund and a labrador, both of which are crazy smart. Like, too smart to make good pets because if you're not on the ball all the time, they will get ahead of you. I had BCs that came nowhere near matching those two dogs, but I know BCs that would. Training dogs like my vall is completely addictive, but I don't think I could ever recommend one of the clever and persistent ones to anyone who isn't a keen trainer. They don't just switch off the smarts when you are not telling them what to do with them. If you don't manage them carefully, they end up with a myriad of problematic behaviours that are really hard to get on top of because they are happy to just find new ways to get what they want, or keep trying even on a very thin reinforcement schedule. My vall's breeder has a boy like mine who lasted a short time in a normal home before he had the whole household firmly under his paw. If anyone wants a dog that will really test their training skills, I think he's still looking for a home. These dogs will find and mercilessly exploit every hole and weak link in your training.

Guest donatella

Why would you get upset? Take it with a grain of salt Jesus

I'm not upset but clearly some people are.

Oh okay good I don't think it's anything to get upset over :)

I find the concept of "best and worst" in the context of dog breeds to be a total nonsense.

The "best" breed will be the one you want to live with. The "worst" breed will be the one you wouldn't give house room to.

That's going to vary so widely it's not worth even ranking.

If you buy a dog simply because its popular or "smarter" you're going about it all wrong!

And I know what the best breeds are anyway.

Edited by Haredown Whippets