Best Vs Overrated Breeds Table Akc

Guest donatella

I find the concept of "best and worst" in the context of dog breeds to be a total nonsense.

The "best" breed will be the one you want to live with. The "worst" breed will be the one you wouldn't give house room to.

That's going to vary so widely it's not worth even ranking.

If you buy a dog simply because its popular or "smarter" you're going about it all wrong!

And I know what the best breeds are anyway.

Yes exactly.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I find the concept of "best and worst" in the context of dog breeds to be a total nonsense.

The "best" breed will be the one you want to live with. The "worst" breed will be the one you wouldn't give house room to.

If you buy a dog simply because its popular or "smarter" you're going about it all wrong!

Yes exactly.

Absolutely!

Exactly!

I still think anyone who thinks an Aussie shepherd is "dumb" is on some kind of drugs laugh.gif

For biddability (which is often what we equate with "smart") my poodles leave the Whippets for dead.

But if you want persistence and sheer rat cunning, the Whippets reign supreme. Talented and patient thieves, that's for sure.

For biddability (which is often what we equate with "smart") my poodles leave the Whippets for dead.

But if you want persistence and sheer rat cunning, the Whippets reign supreme. Talented and patient thieves, that's for sure.

I've always thought Poodles were the smartest breed (not bagging other breeds) but I do remember reading a really interesting article years ago about them and to be honest I always thought of them as primped up, poofy (as in fluffy) looking dogs that walked around looking embarrassed that they had a bald arse and a pom pom on their heads :o I've seen dogs of all breeds, mixed breeds included that are what I would call smart as an average dog owner but if someone asked me the question of which is the smartest breed I would have said Poodles.

I've always thought Poodles were the smartest breed (not bagging other breeds) but I do remember reading a really interesting article years ago about them and to be honest I always thought of them as primped up, poofy (as in fluffy) looking dogs that walked around looking embarrassed that they had a bald arse and a pom pom on their heads :o I've seen dogs of all breeds, mixed breeds included that are what I would call smart as an average dog owner but if someone asked me the question of which is the smartest breed I would have said Poodles.

They learn very fast but a big part of that is their desire to please you. The Whippets need the WIIFM box ticked. If they can figure out there's something in it for them, they are keen students!

Oh, yes :mad

Shitty Whippet figured out quite a while ago that she could use my chair to get up on my desk. And once up there.. oh, the things we can steal. She also figured out that the best time to do this stealing was when I was taking Idiot Dog out to the toilet- something which gives her a good five minutes to get up on the desk, pick something interesting, take it to her bed in the lounge room to hide and be back sitting innocently in the kitchen (as if she'd been patiently waiting for me the whole time) when I get back inside.

Shitty Whippet figured out quite a while ago that she could use my chair to get up on my desk. And once up there.. oh, the things we can steal. She also figured out that the best time to do this stealing was when I was taking Idiot Dog out to the toilet- something which gives her a good five minutes to get up on the desk, pick something interesting, take it to her bed in the lounge room to hide and be back sitting innocently in the kitchen (as if she'd been patiently waiting for me the whole time) when I get back inside.

laugh.gif

And that ain't dumb!!!

Edited by Haredown Whippets

It all comes down to how you define intelligence.

It's definitely easier to showcase a border collie or labradors intelligence as they are bred to be biddable and willing to please (and very greedy in the case of labs!)

But if you think about, perhaps the most intelligent dogs are the ones that do very little, but still have their owners wrapped around their little fingers!

I do not think a truly intelligent dog would regularly perform 10 tricks in a row or run an agility course for a few pieces of dry kibble lol

It actually doesn't make sense in terms of survival to expend so much energy for such little reward.

I agree. My Amstaff was a smart dog though a pain to train. She wasn't food motivated and was picky about who she got her cuddle rewards from (not that she wouldn't adore affection from people but was discerning). I could see her mind working out the bare minimum she could do in order to finish training and go back to whatever SHE wanted to do.

Ernie on the other hand would sell his chocolate soul for an extra piece of kibble so will work his butt off learning anything that requires a good reward.

A layman would say he's smarter. Having lived with Georgia for 6 years before she passed - I know which dog I think is/was smarter, and it's not my loveable boof boy.

Katie the Kelpie could escape from anywhere. I once hid and watched her vault into the BBQ, leap into the fork of a tree and then climb back down the other side of our 6' fence. She would then canvas the neighbourhood for treats and then wait at the door for us to come home. She also would escape to make her way down to the girls primary school at quitting time - so she could meet them coming out. She'd never been taken there on purpose in her life.

Now that's a smart dog.

Edited by Stressmagnet

I agree. My Amstaff was a smart dog though a pain to train. She wasn't food motivated and was picky about who she got her cuddle rewards from (not that she wouldn't adore affection from people but was discerning). I could see her mind working out the bare minimum she could do in order to finish training and go back to whatever SHE wanted to do.

Ernie on the other hand would sell his chocolate soul for an extra piece of kibble so will work his butt off learning anything that requires a good reward.

A layman would say he's smarter. Having lived with Georgia for 6 years before she passed - I know which dog I think is/was smarter, and it's not my loveable boof boy.

This is exactly like Dozer, my amstaff boy.. He frustrates me to tears when I try to teach him new tricks.. While he loves the cheese/liver treats/other tasty things, he's just as likely to just look at me like he's thinking, "you want me to do what? And for that... Maybe..."

We also had a bull-arab mix, Lucy before Dozer hit maturity and decided to hate all dogs, she would work flat out for a crumb of kibble, throwing herself into any new behaviour I was training.

She wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but my gosh I loved training her and her eagerness..

The most clever dog I've owned was Belle - Cocker Spaniel X (I think Kelpie). She was only a little dog, around 11kg, was an escape artist, could climb the fence, could open the heavy sliding glass doors, get into every rubbish bin we tried, and a shocking food thief :laugh: Absolute opportunist of a dog.

Out of my current dogs, my youngster Nitro is the closest in terms of 'cleverness' - he is an opportunist for sure :laugh:

One could even say Whippets have the patent on skills of thieving....

Little cuties they are.

:thumbsup:

He he he love it