Best Vs Overrated Breeds Table Akc

Guest donatella

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know, I don't know what Aussies they based that on but I'd be willing to swap with one of them after Quinn opened the oven, took out the pizza box I had in there keeping warm and stole my last piece of prawn pizza last night.

My standard poodle is incredibly dopey. Smartest dog I've owned was Maisie my working dog mix. Rupert (OES) would have to be one of the dumbest, bless him. He has a lot of trouble with every day situations, inward opening doors being a big one...

Makes me wonder if they've just automatically decided that as Aussies generally want to please they mustn't be that smart.

But really, they ain't dumb. They decide who they'll listen to & if you're full of it they'll just say "meh, toodles" and nick off. Very easy dogs to live with but very trainable - not sure why that's taken as unintelligent.

I have to say OES is the dumbest breed I've ever encountered. That said the dogs I know are unruly dogs anyway with crappy training. But just getting their attention (even using treats!!) is impossible - just mental. Yeah sorry, just no interest coming from me. I do not see the attraction.

Edited by Scootaloo

I think we can all agree that trainable does NOT necessarily mean intelligent. I think this graph is tongue in cheek. Not to mention there's such a wide variety of temperament within a particular breed. I'd hate to generalise. I think really, it's all about what YOU are looking for in a dog.

I asked the breeder of Ernie to give me a calm boring biddable dog - and that's what I've got. He amazes people with how steady he is at such a young age (subtracting the usual puppy foolishness). Other labs we've met are so different in personality that I think it is a huge mistake to make a blanket statement regarding the characteristics of any breed (including labs!).

Makes me wonder if they've just automatically decided that as Aussies generally want to please they mustn't be that smart.

But really, they ain't dumb. They decide who they'll listen to & if you're full of it they'll just say "meh, toodles" and nick off. Very easy dogs to live with but very trainable - not sure why that's taken as unintelligent.

I think you've nailed why they might've put Aussies as dumb! What ever "test" they did probably involved someone the aussies didn't give a crap about laugh.gif I think they like to test boundaries of people.

Nova would often do the complete opposite my old housemates would tell him to do, because they were never consistent with him, and he just didn't care about what they said. "Get on your bed", No I think I'll go sit in the kitchen. I'll walk in and look at him and he'll go stalk off to his bed...

I can understand how some are upset, its a pretty generalised list. I'm still kind of thrilled border terriers are actually on the there and getting a good rap. Normally they're nowhere to be seen!

I have to say OES is the dumbest breed I've ever encountered. That said the dogs I know are unruly dogs anyway with crappy training. But just getting their attention (even using treats!!) is impossible - just mental. Yeah sorry, just no interest coming from me. I do not see the attraction.

Yes but this is where different breeding and jobs come into effect. I can barely imagine a LSG like an OES having the go, go, go mentality of say a kelpie or BC for instance. I wouldn't call an OES dumb but merely a lot more placid/calm/easy-going.

It's no different to my own two dogs. Zeus has THE MOST AMAZING memory I've ever seen in a dog. I try to play 'where's the ...' and hide things in the yard encouraging him to sniff the toys out. Instead, he remembers EVERYWHERE I've ever hidden the toys in the past (even from months ago) and checks those first.

He's a beagle cross do you'd think good with the nose. Only to a certain extent as I've been trying to teach which hand has the treat and every single time he goes for the hand that last had the treat.

Kirah, an Aussie (Terrier, the original 'Aussie' :p) is far better at the new game in that she finds the treat hand first go every time but she can't seek out a hidden toy if her life depended on it.

So who's smarter than who? Kirah is a LOT more cunning and WIIFM than Zeus who is very eager to please. :)

Yes but this is where different breeding and jobs come into effect. I can barely imagine a LSG like an OES having the go, go, go mentality of say a kelpie or BC for instance.

But, OES are a herding breed, not a livestock guardian breed (I assume that's what you meant by LSG).

Edited by Mim

Bull Terrier = Overrated ?! Only by their owners ! The majority of the general public either don't know what they are anymore ... Or don't want to ! Bull Terrier = Clever ??!!??! Dense but loveable is probably more apt ! But on the emotional intelligence scale , both of ours are off the charts! They can sense if someone has a vulnerability and adjust accordingly . E.G :Stop being silly and gently lay next to child who just had open heart surgery . Act sweet and non threatening toward intellectually handicapped, loud and unpredictable neighbour . Their sense of humour has to be born out of some kind of intelligence right ?!

But on the emotional intelligence scale , both of ours are off the charts! They can sense if someone has a vulnerability and adjust accordingly . E.G :Stop being silly and gently lay next to child who just had open heart surgery . Act sweet and non threatening toward intellectually handicapped, loud and unpredictable neighbour .

That's lovely.

Intelligence is adaptive behaviour ... whether you're a human or a dog. Changing behaviour in response to an assessment of circumstances. Your doggies give a perfect example. :thumbsup:

Sorry border collies are also smart and do think for themselves. If this turns into a border collie bashing thread I am going to get very pissed off.

I will confess I am letting my personal argument with a friend get in my way. I get very tired of her constantly telling me my Fauves are dumb and how much better her Border Collies are. It has led to me feeling a distinct lack of love for Border Collies.

It is incredibly rude. If she is a neighbour and friend then I guess you are limited but I would be thinking about saying something like: "you talk a lot about how much better your dogs are than mine, do you realise how rude that is?"

Sorry border collies are also smart and do think for themselves. If this turns into a border collie bashing thread I am going to get very pissed off.

I will confess I am letting my personal argument with a friend get in my way. I get very tired of her constantly telling me my Fauves are dumb and how much better her Border Collies are. It has led to me feeling a distinct lack of love for Border Collies.

It is incredibly rude. If she is a neighbour and friend then I guess you are limited but I would be thinking about saying something like: "you talk a lot about how much better your dogs are than mine, do you realise how rude that is?"

Id just laugh in her face. Rudely. Unless you really want her to be your BFF.

Life's too short to get wound up by idiots. The Fauve of my acquaintance may not be as biddable as Ernie but he's got his mum wrapped round his front paw. That's smart, not stupid.

I'm amazed folks actually do this sort of shite. Who cares where your dog stacks up on a mythical intelligence scale as long as he/she loves you and fits your needs? Is there an HSC for dogs in this country of which I am unaware??

Id just laugh in her face. Rudely. Unless you really want her to be your BFF.

Life's too short to get wound up by idiots. The Fauve of my acquaintance may not be as biddable as Ernie but he's got his mum wrapped round his front paw. That's smart, not stupid.

I'm amazed folks actually do this sort of shite. Who cares where your dog stacks up on a mythical intelligence scale as long as he/she loves you and fits your needs? Is there an HSC for dogs in this country of which I am unaware??

OMG you know a Fauve???? What is his name??? I'm sorry but with only around 100 in the country I know most of them and he may be bred by me OR related to mine... Yes I am excited lol.