Dogs Going Grey

denali

Kokoda has just turned four, but over the past few months i have noticed that he is starting to go grey.

He is getting white eyebrows laugh.gif

I just feel 4yo is a bit young to start greying?

Henry is 6 and still not a grey hair on him.

I am guessing it is normal, but its just a little sad watching the visible signs of ageing- because its a gentle reminder that they're not here forever frown.gif

What age did your dogs start going grey? Or should i say 'silver' biggrin.gif

My friend had a Tenterfield Terrier who started going grey around 2yrs and had a completely white face by around 5. I don't know a whole lot about it but liken it a little to make pattern baldness - it happens a lot earlier to some than others and is not necessarily indicative of old age.

Eta: she is 15 now and still very spritely and young at heart.

Edited by mr.mister

Sonny started to get a few greys in his ears around 4 years old. He will be 7 in June & now has a few scattered around his muzzle & brows. His ears are loaded with them. I'd say they are very well earned having to put with his infatuated sister :laugh:

My black greyhound started going grey at 3. He's 11 now and most of his face, chest and legs have gone quite grey. He has the odd white hair on his body but for the most part he's still completely black there. It's an interesting look he's got going on :laugh:

ours was 2 years young when she got a grey chin

intenet wisdom suggests

"Often you will see graying of the snout area or paws in a very young lab, and this is considered a throw back to that St. John's ancestry, which is a good thing."

Edited by sunny1shine

Stan has been going grey since he was about 4, he was 7 a few weeks ago and just in the last 12 months it's spreading quickly.

Kirislin took this pic of Iggy Mum feeding fat boy :)

post-38965-0-75632100-1430545609_thumb.jpg

Yep, my whippet Feather has the early greying gene (there is one in dogs just like there is in humans) and she started at 2 years old.

This. There are other colour genetics that can see greying as dogs age. My poodle who was Bb, (Black, brown recessive) rather than BB (just black) silvered and went a very slatey grey all over from around 4. My other boy at 12 has not silvering whatsoever.

I have a whippet who has a very silver muzzle and that started at around 2 like Kirislin's girl. My other boy is 3.5 and no silver hairs at all. They are the same colour.

I reckon around 2 years my GSD started getting a little white chin and then around 10 his eyebrows started to get some whites in them.

I'm looking after an 8yr old Lab who has a little white mask and has had at least since he was 5 when I started caring for him. I've got an 8yr old and a 13yr old small crosses with no greys.

My human brother started going grey around 14 - it's a male family trait and hence the middle name of all the boys in the line have 'Grey' as one of their middle names. A grey dog hair floated onto my 4month old nephew and we all joked that he was the youngest to go grey, teehee

Does anyone know the genetic of the early greying gene? As both his parents are now getting on in years and still looking fully coloured :)

Hmm.. maybe he is growing them in response to his annoying younger brother.. he is a PITA. i wouldn't blame him laugh.gif

Ooooh! All those gorgeous silver faces!

I have a little bit of a weakness for them!

My personal favourite is the vizslas who get the grey socks too :)

Zeddy started going grey at around 12 years... now at nearly 16, she has grey face, grey feet, and it's spreading down her chest and belly...

Trouble is blonde, but recently I noticed that she's actually gone a bit grey in the face... she's 9.

Harper is blue brindle, and started going grey around her face at around 18 months... she's nearly 3 now.

Pickles is the only one who hasn't got any grey... she's nearly 5.

T.

All my black poodles & one brown started going grey around the muzzle at about age 6. The oldest is 13 & is very grey now. Its nothing to do with how fast the dog ages, my 10 year old is still like a young dog bounding about like an idiot, the 13 year old is well but moving a bit slower. Grey does make them look older though, same as with people.

I think it's so funny you start with a black dog and end up with a white one! My oldest liver was an SBT who made it to nearly 17 and even the hairs on her bum had turned white! Originally she was jet black and shiny with just some white on her paws and the tip of her tail but here she was at the end. We were making doggy art together on her last day.

post-33739-0-86617100-1430619388_thumb.jpg

Edited by Little Gifts