Help With Regurgitation

Sheridan

Putting this in general so it will be more quickly noticed. Miss Mini has had a bout of pancreatitis. She's now got reflux and keeps burping up water. as the vet is closed is there something from a chemist I can give her?

Putting this in general so it will be more quickly noticed. Miss Mini has had a bout of pancreatitis. She's now got reflux and keeps burping up water. as the vet is closed is there something from a chemist I can give her?

Google Zantac.

I would ring an emergency (after hours) clinic for advice. Even if interstate.

Yep Zantac syrup - from the chemist. Published dose is 2mg/kg every 8-12 hours. If Mac seems to be having trouble overnight with reflux I will often give him an ad hoc dose of Zantac syrup with a syringe to settle him - works well. Hope that helps.

Edited by westiemum

Yep Zantac syrup - from the chemist. Published dose is 2mg/kg every 8-12 hours. If Mac seems to be having trouble overnight with reflux I will often give him an ad hoc dose of Zantac syrup with a syringe to settle him - works well. Hope that helps.

I've never been told about this syrup exists :(.

Hopefully Miss Mini is feeling better.

Thanks for the replies. Mini isn't at all well. She has necrotising pancreatitis brought on by actually not being fed. She was at the vet on a drip for a week and hasn't eaten since Thursday week ago. She's had some Nutrigel and a little food syringed into her mouth. She's actively avoiding food and nothing tempts her. On top, she's regurgitating whatever she drinks. The vet is considering megaesophagus.

Have you had her throat checked? Had something similar and he had a burnt throat from the reflux etc. We ended up putting a feeding tube in and he was fed directly via that for a number of months. He was on a host of meds but the most important was the Carafate mixed to a slurry which protected everything from getting further burnt. Wish I had done the feeding tube long before I did. It allowed him to more or less live a normal life and gave everything an opportunity to heal

She's had her throat checked. I have concerns about a feeding tube. She is not a dog tempted by food and a tube may make things worse.

She may have oesophagitis although megaoesophagus is a possibility. What other meds is she on? What diagnostic tests were done to get the diagnosis? (Blood tests? Abdominal ultrasound?)

Assuming that she is well covered as far as adequate pain relief, antibiotics and gastroprotectants then a feeding tube is a consideration. Although she may not be tempted by food, constantly feeling unwell and being offered food can lead to food aversion. An early return to feeding (an appropriately low fat diet) is better for enteral health if it can be managed.

Edited by Rappie

Cowan was never overly food orientated either. He was nil by mouth totally for 2-3 mths and then worked back up to eating on his own. It took nearly 6mths and the use of some appetite stimulants along the way but it was a blessing as he was able to ehal. No dog is going to want to eat it if constantly makes him sick. I only wish I had done the feeding tube earlier

The issue with the feeding tube is the reflux. It makes her burp, regurgitate, and belch. Can't have that with a feeding tube at it may cause her to aspirate. She's being feed via syringe with a bit at a time, though she is licking food out of my hand. She's not drinking enough and the concern is that she may become jaundiced or worse, her kidneys may pack it in. She currently has to be fed every couple of hours and then burped like a baby. She's on six different types of tablets and it's a fight to get them into her. :(