Eau De Wet Labrador

So walking Ernie in the rain is just fine - I don't mind it. What I DO mind is the ever permeating miasma that has seeped into every nook and cranny of the Clown Car, no matter how well I towel him off (got a dog shammy and a big bath towel in the car at all times).

This is what I have in the car:

Febreeze

Airwick spray

A freshener thing from my rear view mirror

An airwick car vent freshener

--

Seriously, it's embarrassing, not to mention it smells like a million farts with a side of stink bombs.

Does anyone have any solutions that have worked short of shampooing the upholstery every time? I'd like to be able to pick up my friends without madly spraying constantly.

And Ernie smells just lovely when he's dry - so it's not a medical issue. I've sniffed every inch of him and i mean, every inch.

I second the raincoat, a lightweight non insulated raincoat, like the Weatherbeeta Raincoats. Made with cooling vents on the side, just to keep the rain off.

The actual smell: Dusk has a range of odor removing products, not just "covering" the smell. I just tried to find it on their website but it doesn't seem to be on there. It is in store though if you go in and ask someone. They do have a car specific one and it looks like a little silver tube.

This stuff has worked for me when a dead mouse died in the walls of my uni dorm room and they wouldn't do anything about it. So I think it would work on wet labrador!

Edited by LisaCC

Guys the problem with a raincoat is that we off leash every morning and he ends up in the creek. I'll certainly get one for our onlead walks but I take him off leash every morning and his dunks in the creek are what's smelly. His afternoon onlead walk will be raincoated - awesome idea. I never reckoned a water dog would need one.

But the morning? He runs and sniffs and flings himself into the creek. I towel him off and into the boot he goes.

As does the stink...

I second the raincoat, a lightweight non insulated raincoat, like the Weatherbeeta Raincoats. Made with cooling vents on the side, just to keep the rain off.

The actual smell: Dusk has a range of odor removing products, not just "covering" the smell. I just tried to find it on their website but it doesn't seem to be on there. It is in store though if you go in and ask someone. They do have a car specific one and it looks like a little silver tube.

This stuff has worked for me when a dead mouse died in the walls of my uni dorm room and they wouldn't do anything about it. So I think it would work on wet labrador!

Lisa - going to Dusk today so if you can post a pic or get the actual name -- WINNING.

Well he doesn't "need" one, but as you've noticed the smell of wet labrador they are more for our convenience laugh.gif

I walk my double coated breed in a light rain coat if it's heavy and cold simply because he takes hours to dry and now with daylight saving over even longer, and that's how we get hotspots. (He thinks the dryer is out to kill him).

It's for our convenience but protects our cars and and wallets of dog stink and wetness laugh.gif

One of the few things that helps my poor old "smelly dog" car is a product called "no vac foam carpet sanitiser and deodoriser". It says it kills bacteria that causes odour in carpets and the smell is pretty strong but not unpleasant. You can get it from Coles/Woolies from the shelves with car stuff on them. Nil Odour is also pretty good. Hope that helps :)

Lisa - going to Dusk today so if you can post a pic or get the actual name -- WINNING.

I googled and managed to find the collection name but no picture "Active Air Collection"

If you need something bigger than the car vent thingy I highly recommend the little gel beads.

Edited by LisaCC

What about those tarp thingies made for protecting the back of the car? He can muddify and stink up that and you can just remove it after he's out of the car? At least hair and smell won't be ingrained in the fabric then?

I googled and managed to find the collection name but no picture "Active Air Collection"

If you need something bigger than the car vent thingy I highly recommend the little gel beads.

Yeah those beads are awesome!

This is how I solved the problem. You think you got a clown car...try a tiny bright yellow Getz with a giant dog box as the main feature! But, ALL probable (and some improbable) dog spills and smells, and hairs are kept entirely within the crate. Remove the dog from the car and 99.9% of the smells and grots go with him. The other minute percentage are in/on the bedding in the box, so a change of bedding and a wipe down of the box and you really wouldnt know a dog had ever been in the car. I now vacuum the car a couple of times a year instead of a couple of times a week. I love it. It looks silly but it works. I hope to upgrade to a newer car soon and will look for something that a solid (as opposed to a wire) crate will fit in the 'boot' area so I can have a back seat again.

Guys the problem with a raincoat is that we off leash every morning and he ends up in the creek. I'll certainly get one for our onlead walks but I take him off leash every morning and his dunks in the creek are what's smelly. His afternoon onlead walk will be raincoated - awesome idea. I never reckoned a water dog would need one.

But the morning? He runs and sniffs and flings himself into the creek. I towel him off and into the boot he goes.

As does the stink...

Given the weather is getting colder, could you re-do the walk so the handsome Ernie bypasses the creek?

Mind I know Pong of Vizsla very well. Herbert is having a love affair with the lagoon in the back paddock.

He is on full ban from getting near the car until the warmer weather if he presents 'damp' AND 'pongy'.

Haha, bypass the creek! VM you crack me up! I bet Ernie would swim through ice and sludge if it was presented.

LOL.... Ernie sounds so like the Vizslas!

Water!!!! Water!!!! Momma, I gotta go dive in that water. And off they go.

A little OT, but i used to do a neat recall with Gabor as he charged towards a creek & his cruel Momma did not want to clean him up.

:rofl: