Eau De Wet Labrador

Guys the problem with a raincoat is that we off leash every morning and he ends up in the creek. I'll certainly get one for our onlead walks but I take him off leash every morning and his dunks in the creek are what's smelly. His afternoon onlead walk will be raincoated - awesome idea. I never reckoned a water dog would need one.

But the morning? He runs and sniffs and flings himself into the creek. I towel him off and into the boot he goes.

As does the stink...

Given the weather is getting colder, could you re-do the walk so the handsome Ernie bypasses the creek?

Mind I know Pong of Vizsla very well. Herbert is having a love affair with the lagoon in the back paddock.

He is on full ban from getting near the car until the warmer weather if he presents 'damp' AND 'pongy'.

Bless you VM. Ernie could find water in a desert. He's been know to lie IN his water bowl if nothing else is available. Avoid the creek? All the dog areas around have access to some form of water. So that's not going to happen. I WILL take the dog mat out of the back and hose it down again but I'm thinking a crate may be the go. I THINK I can fit a crate in the boot.

Of the clown car.

Oh my.

I have a 'dog car' which with three westies can get pretty whiffy at times - I pay to have it detailed once or twice a year and in the meantime I let people know its 'the dog car' and they ride at their own risk knowing that!!rofl1.gifrofl1.gif

Outdoor shower. Of course, this doesn't solve the problem of the car :laugh: :laugh:

Wipe down upholstery with cloth dampened in water and Eucalyptus Water Soluble Solution (Woolies or hardware shops). Mix some with water and put in a spray bottle.

All the other products such as Glen 40, Nilodour, air fresheners have me just about hospitalised, but I use the Eucalyptus solution all the time. I add it to the washing machine when washing mats and dog bedding. It is lovely.

Use a rubber ute mat (they are HUGE and cover everything) ...but damp dog smell will get into the headlining and vinyl as well as carpet and upholstery so after a thorough cleaning, treat these with Scotchgard protective spray so that damp dog dander, droplets of creek life etc. have less of a chance to adhere and smellify.

The Scotchgard will need to be renewed every 12 months or so.

Why did I not think of Scotchguard???

Ok, I just found my Mothers Day Present - a thorough car cleaning and Scotchguard.

Would a wet or a dry shampoo work best in the upholstery?

And a decent fabric odour killer - those you've mentioned sound better than the Febreeze that I've been blasting.

I'll report back next week.

Edited by Stressmagnet

Ok, I just found my Mothers Day Present - a thorough car cleaning and Scotchguard.

And a decent fabric odour killer - those you've mentioned sound better than the Febreeze that I've been blasting.

Sounds like your problem is not actually your dog - it's the creek that he swims in. Still or stagnant water is notorious for making dogs stink. Only real solution is to ban the swim in the creek. :(

Sounds like your problem is not actually your dog - it's the creek that he swims in. Still or stagnant water is notorious for making dogs stink. Only real solution is to ban the swim in the creek. :(

Well that's not going to work. He'll sit in a stagnant puddle if there's one around.

And the creek is fairly fast flowing - it's likely damp dog rolling in the odd dead bird and getting covered in friendly dog slobber plus mud. The trifecta!!!

Edited by Stressmagnet

• 7 months later...

He's getting a bath every fortnight in the heat. I think it's just his natural boy smell and I'm just being over sensitive. Brushing daily seems to help but nothing is quite like the pong of wet Labrador. It could be bottled and used as a weapon of mass destruction.

A wet Gilly is pretty stinky as well.

Could you use Bi-carb all over the place?

Luckily I have only one dog that loves the water and she isn't well so wet dog stink isn't here very often.

My Bluey Ringer couldn't go past a dead thing without bringing it and its maggots home on her fur.

That was when her and her friends hit the creek.

What about lining the dog space with a big tarp and hosing that off and allowing to dry? You might need two tarps to alternate them.

I consider myself lucky - not much wet dog smell with mine. Even when she's been swimming at the beach and then hosed off.

I've got a car hammock made out of double rip stop canvas from equestrian rug repair shop for the back seat for her to be on - and I put old sheets and towels on that and wash them all from time to time.

What about a camp shower to hose him off :)

As for deodoriser I second Nilodor, it's really good. Steam cleaning might help the upholstery a bit too, and a mat/crate/liner would make clean up so much easier. If nothing else you can trade up to a ute or get a dog trailer :p

With a house full of 4 kids 2 dogs (soon to be three ) and a cat I have nil soft furnishings in my house . Hard wood floors, wooden chairs, leather lounge and wood furniture . I soften it with throw rugs and cushions that can easily be thrown in the wash . When we bought a new 7 seater car the top priority was leather seating a good wash brings everything back to new mo matter what smells the dogs or kids create . Baby wipes or kitchen wipes scattered around house or cars are my friend .

So op . Get a new car with leather seats lol .