Would Putting Up A Self Standing Dog Pen Need Landlord Approval?

Hi All

I hope this is ok to post her but I need some recommendations

We live on a rental property and are wanting to put a stand alone dog pen under the concreted verandah/awning. No drills holes will be made, it wont be fastened down etc there will be nothing to show it was ever there. There will be a floor put down and the concrete will be hosed off so there is no staining. The dogs (2 spaniels) will also only be going in there 2-3hrs a day every 2nd/3rd day so its not like they will be in there all the time and never at night.

Do you think I need to get landlord approval?

I would probably talk to the agents. They are going to see it during any inspection and if they don't know about it prior may get snakey.

Yep, I agree with this. Best to always check first.

I would probably talk to the agents. They are going to see it during any inspection and if they don't know about it prior may get snakey.

Yep, I agree with this. Best to always check first.

Yes, so ask the agent and he/she will no doubt put it to the landlord for a final decision.

I'd just do it, and either be there for the next inspection or give the agent a heads up email before it that the pen is there, making it clear that it is a temporary structure and completely removable when you go. I can't see what state you are in on my phone but I think most/all states allow for temporary changes to the property without the landlord's permission so they can't say no.

As mentioned though, if it's a strata or body Corp property they may have rules about structures that can be seen from off the property and obviously not going on common property.

The problem is the landlord is very very difficult at times :( thinking it may be easier it just take it down at inspection times then put it back up after. Is that wrong lol?

If you are not damaging the property or leaving mess I don't think it is wrong.

I would just do it and not even disassemble at inspection time. It's not permanent and quite frankly is no different to buying a little kennel for them to sleep in.

God, we have runs and everything set up under our back verandah, never even occurred to us to seek approval. Landlord has been out plenty of times and even commented on what a good idea it was to have them for the dogs.

Just do it, more than likely if they went to the landlords they would say no anyway, it's not permanent in any way, and it's always good to have an enclosed area for the dogs.

Completely agree with Juice as well, no one stop you putting a cubbie house in the backyard, well as long as it's on the ground anyway, majority of kids are way way way worse than majority of dogs.

Edited by shapeshifter

I used to work in property management. In my opinion it would be a good idea to run it past the property manager before doing anything. If they refuse permission, ask on what grounds. It would be better than doing something without approval and then finding your lease isn't renewed...because you didn't think it important to ask first.

Arh so difficult to know what to do...

We really need this pen/cage so im really worried what we will do if we ask for permission and they so no but if we dont tell them then have trouble later on it could be just as bad :(