Molly The Dog Lucky To Be Alive After Eating Kinetic Sand

Boronia

Crystal Jones | 8th May 2015 2:46 PM

A DOG owner is warning others to be vigilant after some kinetic sand almost cost the life of her beloved dog, Molly.

11200621_10153810662553942_4521935444864931558_n-cy6vz1a39wvra3vx4k2_t620.jpg

Molly had to undergo surgery after eating some kinetic sand.

Kinetic sand, which contains a bonding agent to make the sand stick to itself, has become a popular toy and is widely available in stores and online.

Belinda O'Shea said she kept her five-year-old son Archie's kinetic sand in a sealed container and hadn't expected that while they were out, nine-year-old Molly would get into the tub and eat its contents.

11216045_10153813201503942_1697634195_n-1jnf7bbo906mlqvx4k2_t300.jpg

Molly recovering in vet hospital. But one day the family arrived home to find Molly, a staffordshire terrier, had done just that.

At first seeming fine, it was only when the much-loved pet had gone off her food and started vomiting that the family realised something wasn't right.

"An x-ray found her intestines were blocked up with something, so then they left her there overnight on the drip" she said.

"Whatever was in her wasn't coming out."

Mrs O'Shea said her vet figured out the properties of the kinetic sand were causing it to reshape every time Molly's body tried to remove it, meaning the pooch would have to undergo emergency surgery.

"They basically had to squeeze it out of her intestines," she said.

While Mrs O'Shea, from Melbourne, had to part with $3000 to save her pet's life, her biggest concern was raising awareness about the dangers of kinetic sand.

"Dogs do silly things but I want people to know to be really careful," she said.

"I just want people to be really careful if their dogs get into it and to get them to a vet if they do, or keep it away from them."

Mrs O'Shea said she had contacted the makers of the kinetic sand to warn them about what had happened.

"I emailed the company and let them know and they said they'd possibly look at changing the warnings," she said.

Mrs O'Shea's vet Bob Cavey, from Ultmate vet Clinic in Narre Warren, said though he'd seen items including knitting needles and plumbing pipes in dogs' bellies before he'd never encountered anything like the kinetic sand.

"I've been doing this for 25 years and I've never seen this," he said.

"The stomach just can't push it through.

"I had to milk the stomach and push the kinetic sand through, it took about two hours."

Mr Cavey said Molly had lost a lot of weight over a couple of days and her body had started to shut down.

"This dog that ate it lost a lot of weight over a few days," he said.

Mr Cavey said dog owners should be vigilant, and parents too.

"If it's blocked up a dog then you'd have to watch your children very carefully that they're not ingesting any of it," he said.

Mrs O'Shea and her son Archie have thrown out their kinetic sand and won't be buying more any time soon.

Wee dog looks tiny for 9 years.

regardless, poor wee thing & poor family.

Sending lottsa love & best wishes for a quick recovery.

:cry:

Found another article that show her age better ( if that is fair to a recovering sick puppy-girl)....

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/parenting/68412979/kinetic-sand-warning-after-dogs-brush-with-death.html

Edited by VizslaMomma

But again, isn't this just one of those things that shouldn't be left lying around? To just "not expect" a 9 year old dog not to eat something is wishful thinking. My way of thinking is that if you don't want your dog/child eating/destroying something, don't leave it lying around -- even in containers because they are easily broken through.

I was linked to the article via Facebook and I'm just so glad the little girl has pulled through her surgery. Don't even want to think about how tricky the 2 hours was for the vet.

I hope she makes a full recovery and never gets into the sand again!

Molly was very lucky, I think that's just a bad angle the photo was taken on, and yes, her owner was a long time member on Dol, but I don't think she's here anymore. It's not something you'd expect a dog to get into either. Typical Staffy though :laugh:

I'd expect Quinn to eat it, but nothing is safe with her, even closed containers *eye roll* If Molly had never opened a container before though I can see why her owner didn't expect it.

I'm glad Molly is ok, she's so cuuuute :D

Edited by Simply Grand

But again, isn't this just one of those things that shouldn't be left lying around? To just "not expect" a 9 year old dog not to eat something is wishful thinking. My way of thinking is that if you don't want your dog/child eating/destroying something, don't leave it lying around -- even in containers because they are easily broken through.

I was linked to the article via Facebook and I'm just so glad the little girl has pulled through her surgery. Don't even want to think about how tricky the 2 hours was for the vet.

I hope she makes a full recovery and never gets into the sand again!

Yep I never leave anything lying around. I always expect the worst from my two.

So glad she's ok!

I wouldn't expect my dog to eat it. I would happily leave it on a table. I had a dog that ate everything... Him Eating this would never have crossed my mind.

Same.

I left a rissole on the bench the other day and then went out for a few hours and it didn't get eaten, so I would definitely be surprised if she ate kinetic sand.

Molly's stolen lots of food in her time and chewed lots of things up but she's never really ingested things that weren't food so this one totally took me by surprise, I'm just glad she's ok, and that we realised before it was too late :)

Edited by shoemonster

Molly's stolen lots of food in her time and chewed lots of things up but she's never really ingested things that weren't food so this one totally took me by surprise, I'm just glad she's ok, and that we realised before it was too late :)

Scary for you that the sand was in a closed container....

Molly is adorable & I hope she is well on the way to recovery.

Best Wishes to all of you.

:flower: