Dogs And Quarantine

BarbedWire

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-14/johnny-depps-dogs-unable-to-stay-in-australia/6468542

"Johnny Depp's dogs Boo and Pistol could be put down if they stay in Australia, Barnaby Joyce warns

612 ABC Brisbane

Updated 10 minutes ago

VIDEO: Barnaby Joyce says Johnny Depp's dogs can ''can bugger off back to the United States'

MAP: QLD

Hollywood star Johnny Depp is in trouble after bringing his two pet dogs into Australia without declaring them to quarantine.

The Department of Agriculture is investigating after the discovery of two Yorkshire terriers - Boo and Pistol - believed to have been brought into Australia on Depp's private plane last month so their owner could resume filming on the Gold Coast for the latest Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

Depp flew back to America in March for surgery on an injured hand and returned in the past few weeks.

The department said any animal that was imported without meeting Australia's import conditions would be ordered into quarantine and would either be exported or destroyed.

The department would make no comment on the individual circumstances of Depp's dogs.

Agriculture Minister Barnaby Joyce said the dogs could not stay.

"There is a process if you want to bring animals: you get the permits, they go into quarantine and then you can have them," he said.

"But if we start letting movie stars even though they've been the sexiest man alive twice to come into our nation, then why don't we just break the laws for everybody?

"It's time that Pistol and Boo buggered off back to the United States."

Earlier, on ABC 612 Brisbane, Mr Joyce said "if he doesn't take Boo and Pistol back we do have to euthanase them."

"Just because he's Johnny Depp doesn't make him exempt from Australian laws," he said.

"The way this works is if we are going to make an excuse for Johnny Depp because he's got a private jet and brought in his dogs than I suppose you have to start making exemptions and excuses for everybody.

"The reason you can walk through a park in Brisbane and not sort of have in the back of your mind - what happens if a rabid dog comes out and bites me or bites my kid - is because we've kept that disease out.

"I'll tell you how close it is, it's in Bali, it's just next door, so this is not fanciful stuff and therefore we're very diligent about what comes into our nation." "

Put the dogs in quarantine.

Put depp in another cage beside them

WTFudge is Johnny Depp to make a mockery of laws designed to protect Australia?

Havung had to deal with more than one dog confined in a quarantine pen, I have no sympathy for this blatant arrogance.

We nearly lost a bitch in whelp because of quarantine conditions. Thank Dog that the staff were proactive in getting a Vet to her even before we became aware she was ill.

Not happy Jan.

:mad

I read on the Daily Mail site that the groomer who clipped the dogs was supporting the cause to let the dogs stay. I wonder if she has thought how her life (and that of all people who work with animals in Australia) would change if rabies was introduced here?

I think a criminal act has been perpetrated and think the owners should be deported as well as the dogs.

I read on the Daily Mail site that the groomer who clipped the dogs was supporting the cause to let the dogs stay. I wonder if she has thought how her life (and that of all people who work with animals in Australia) would change if rabies was introduced here?

I think a criminal act has been perpetrated and think the owners should be deported as well as the dogs.

Or Alabama rot, which can't even be vaccinated against.

I've read a range of comments online ranging from the misinformed to the downright cray cray.

What's interesting is the profound level of misunderstanding most AUSTRALIANs have of the requirements for importing a dog from a rabies affected country. The dogs' groomer deserves a good slap in the back of her head for the sheer ignorance of her comments.

The process of importing starts 6 months out from flying. The idea that these pooches can spend a 10 day cooling off period in Quarantine kennels (alongside dogs who've had 6 months of time after rabies shots and testing) and then reunite with the owner is, quite simply, ludicrous.

Spare a thought for people flying in pets and breeding dogs from such countries. They leap through a lot of hoops and spend $$$ to get their dogs here.

Export them and have done with it for pity's sake.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

1431579478[/url]' post='6690543']
1431574561[/url]' post='6690483']

Or Alabama rot, which can't even be vaccinated against.

Not to mention the U.S. is currently in the throes of a rather large canine influenza outbreak. http://caninechronicle.com/current-articles/outbreak-2/

Edited by espinay2

The potential for a major disaster is just huge. I wonder if she has thought about the health and saftey of the dogs who were in her grooming salon at the same time as these dogs? HAve their owners been informed? do they now require some sort of Quarantine?

How did the dogs even get through customs is the question that needs to be asked. What else did that idiot bring in. And more importantly, how did they get on the plane at the other end? Just because he's a bloody celebrity doesnt mean he's exempt from customs checks. They should simply be sent back on his la de da private jet.

My sis has spent almost 1000k getting her two Westies ready to come out this year - and since her 'skilled job' suddenly disappeared off the list - it looks like she'll have to do it all over again when she applies again.

She's doing the right thing. Once again, it seems like those of us who follow the rules get gouged, while those who know how to work the system get off with a slap on the wrist. Very hard on us 'good guys'.

For anyone interested in the requirements for importing from the USA, they are here

Neither cheap, nor quick.

What a crying shame Mr Joyce's intemperate language has distracted people from the utter disaster that a breach of our quarantine laws could mean for Australia. crying.gif

Edited by Haredown Whippets

How did the dogs even get through customs is the question that needs to be asked. What else did that idiot bring in. And more importantly, how did they get on the plane at the other end? Just because he's a bloody celebrity doesnt mean he's exempt from customs checks. They should simply be sent back on his la de da private jet.

When VIP jets arrive, the pilot may hand a manifest to whatever officials have turned up. Sometimes the passengers on these flights are using a type of concierge service wehre they are treated like royalty, taken to lounges & have the entry formalities done.

There would be little need to do a plane inspection.

There's been faults on both sides of this horror.

For anyone interested in the requirements for importing from the USA, they are here

Neither cheap, nor quick.

What a crying shame Mr Joyce's intemperate language has distracted people from the utter disaster that a breach of our quarantine laws could mean for Australia. crying.gif

Yeah the media are just laughing about it because of his flippant language. Hello rabies! This is serious!