Multiple Dog Permits

Kirislin

Murrindindi also have a rural policy:

Rural land:

Residents living on rural properties require council permission to keep the following animals:

more than 6 dogs

more than 6 cats

So that is 2 shires next to us.

I have a friend who lives there too, but she's only on a 1/4 acre block

I am pretty sure that I had to pay a one off fee and then the yearly rego for all three dogs, but that was nearly 6 years ago. I just looked at Zeph's permit and it was lodged in late 2009 and expires in June 2015.

But it is not current at the moment, because Baylee passed away in late 2013, so we automatically went to 2 dogs. If we want another dog we will have to apply for another permit. We are zoned Residential.

what shire are you in?

Murrindindi

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

brisbanes is annual- "an initial application fee of $253.65 applies with a subsequent renewal fee of $154.65"

+ the individual registrations.

Its annoying..

Edited by denali

I'm in Murrindindi shire and I had to fill in the application for an extra dog. I also had to supply letters from neighbours stating they didn't object to an extra dog. The council then said they needed to check the property. I never saw them come out to inspect the residence but they sent me a letter stating they had checked it and that all was good and I was a responsible owner so allowed the application to go through. No charge for the application/approval and I only have to pay the yearly registration fees.

ETA I've just rung the council and checked my info. Residential areas can have two dogs and two cats without a permit. As stated above, a permit is required for more than two of each animals, with a letter from neighbours stating they have no objections but there is no fee.

Rural residences can have six dogs and six cats without a permit.

Edited by iggy mum

Move to NSW - no dog or cat limit and a once only life time registration fee.

Wrong on the limit, there certainly is on the Central Coast of NSW where I come from.

I was quite shocked when I moved down here and realized I had to pay yearly rego.

Edited by HazyWal

Wrong on the limit, there certainly is on the Central Coast of NSW where I come from.

I was quite shocked when I moved down here and realized I had to pay yearly rego.

Interesting! Lucky I've only lived in no limit Council areas. What Council area was it HazyWal?

Interesting! Lucky I've only lived in no limit Council areas. What Council area was it HazyWal?

Gosford. I had to check when I was still fostering, it was a two dog limit in Terrigal and I think it was two fosters allowed, can't remember now.

brisbanes is annual- "an initial application fee of $253.65 applies with a subsequent renewal fee of $154.65"

+ the individual registrations.

Its annoying..

that's alot! :mad

It is, isn't it! Maybe i need to gather info like this too and send it to the council.

OT- but I remember there was a thread with someone asking about poo bags- i said i took them from dog parks.

I remember some people being very unimpressed- even angry at me for that, but I don't use the parks yet still pay these ridiculous fees to the council- so when walking, i do take a poo bag on my way past for each of my dogs!

Sunshine Coast Council is a one off application fee of $185 then just their annual rego renewals unless I move house or get a different dog. The permission is only valid for a specific dog.

I'm in Murrindindi shire and I had to fill in the application for an extra dog. I also had to supply letters from neighbours stating they didn't object to an extra dog. The council then said they needed to check the property. I never saw them come out to inspect the residence but they sent me a letter stating they had checked it and that all was good and I was a responsible owner so allowed the application to go through. No charge for the application/approval and I only have to pay the yearly registration fees.

ETA I've just rung the council and checked my info. Residential areas can have two dogs and two cats without a permit. As stated above, a permit is required for more than two of each animals, with a letter from neighbours stating they have no objections but there is no fee.

Rural residences can have six dogs and six cats without a permit.

Yep, I remember getting a letter from the one remaining neighbour to allow Zeph to stay, but could not remember if I paid a fee. I have only ever paid their yearly rego from then on.

It all seems so backwards, I imagine a council want to know how many dogs in the shire to make sure facilities are adequate and for reporting, charging a buttload of money seems like a way to ensure most people simply don't tell them...

Gosford. I had to check when I was still fostering, it was a two dog limit in Terrigal and I think it was two fosters allowed, can't remember now.

My understanding is that NSW councils can have guidelines but can't enforce a limit legally because it's not supported under the Companion Animal Act. They can only take action if there are objections due to noise or waste (or obviously cruelty or welfare issues).

The lifetime rego fee is great but not well understood and the NSW CAR is badly maintained. Most councils just don't really care about the data at all.

We're in Glen Eira, Victoria and my multiple dog permit has lapsed while we don't have a third dog. I'm pretty sure it's still a three year permit for $150. The usual annual registration fee is payable on all dogs. I'm not allowed to apply for a new multiple dog permit until I actually have the third dog, and then will have to go through the whole inspection process again. ...so it would be pretty disappointing if they said no... Luckily, Glen Eira has been OK about extra dogs - apparently not the same story "next door" in Monash.

My understanding is that NSW councils can have guidelines but can't enforce a limit legally because it's not supported under the Companion Animal Act. They can only take action if there are objections due to noise or waste (or obviously cruelty or welfare issues).

The lifetime rego fee is great but not well understood and the NSW CAR is badly maintained. Most councils just don't really care about the data at all.

Probably but when I was fostering I went into Gosford Council Chambers personally and checked and that's what they told me about Terrigal where I lived. Instead of people just saying NSW as a whole has no limits it might be better to get people to check with their local council first.

I live in the corner that joins 3 different council areas in NSW...

3 different pounds to look for a lost dog, depending which street it was found in... and one of the council areas has a 2 dog recommended limit.

My particular council does not have any limit advised, so as long as there are no noise or waste issues, I can have as many as I like.

Some council areas will relax their limits if the dogs are also registered with Dogs NSW... but only to allow I think around 5dogs - and again if noise or waste issues arise, they can fine you a fair bit and ask you to reduce the numbers.

T.

Interesting, I've got my letter confirming I've renewed my multiple dog permit and in the conditions it states there must be no breeding or keeping of litters at the property! That's a new one I'm sure. I've got a registered prefix with Dogs Vic for the very reason that I might breed at some stage in the future.

hmmm just checked my first letter from 2 years ago, I missed that it said it there as well. I must have missed it. :mad

Edited by Kirislin