Multiple Dog Permits

Kirislin

To have a permit for multiple dogs here, I have to pay a large fee every year, on top of the individual rego for each dog. Initially I had to pay for the ranger to come out, inspect my property, ask me lots of questions, photograph all my dogs (she also photographed all my chickens!) and then after that it's $164 every year, on top of each dogs registration. I was having a gripe to the ranger about it today and said I have heard that some shires only charge a once off fee for a multiple dog permit. He was very nice and listened to me and suggested I find out which ones and write to my council and they might reconsider their charges.

I am sure I've read here that some places charge a once off fee, so quick quick! come forward and tell me which ones so I can put that in my letter.

Edited by Kirislin

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be much better if the shire recognized that there were rural as well as towny areas in the one shire and treated them differently. I was always annoyed that I had a 2 dog limit at my last place, but couldn't sub-divide because I was rural. If you have an acre in Emerald area you are allowed 4 dogs (last time I looked) without a permit.

It would be much better if the shire recognized that there were rural as well as towny areas in the one shire and treated them differently. I was always annoyed that I had a 2 dog limit at my last place, but couldn't sub-divide because I was rural. If you have an acre in Emerald area you are allowed 4 dogs (last time I looked) without a permit.

what shire is that?

Cardinia.

Local Law 10 (57.1) - Property less than or equal to 4000 square metres

Unless in accordance with a permit, an owner or occupier of any residential property having an area less than or equal to 4000 square metres, must not keep or allow to be kept on any such property (not being a flat) more than two dogs and two cats. Local Law, Clause 57.1 (PDF, 133KB).

Local Law 10 (57.2) - Property greater than 4000 square metres

Unless in accordance with a permit, an owner or occupier of any residential property having an area greater than 4000 square metres, must not keep or allow to be kept on any such property more than four dogs and four cats. Local Law, Clause 57.2 (PDF, 133KB).

Murrindindi also have a rural policy:

Rural land:

Residents living on rural properties require council permission to keep the following animals:

more than 6 dogs

more than 6 cats

So that is 2 shires next to us.

Cardinia.

Unless in accordance with a permit, an owner or occupier of any residential property having an area less than or equal to 4000 square metres, must not keep or allow to be kept on any such property (not being a flat) more than two dogs and two cats. Local Law, Clause 57.1 (PDF, 133KB).

Unless in accordance with a permit, an owner or occupier of any residential property having an area greater than 4000 square metres, must not keep or allow to be kept on any such property more than four dogs and four cats. Local Law, Clause 57.2 (PDF, 133KB).

Hmmm it doesn't mention if there's an extra cost though. I wonder. I have a friend who lives over that way, I might ask her.

Rural land:

Residents living on rural properties require council permission to keep the following animals:

more than 6 dogs

more than 6 cats

I have a friend who lives there too, but she's only on a 1/4 acre block

Cardinia.

Hmmm it doesn't mention if there's an extra cost though. I wonder. I have a friend who lives over that way, I might ask her.

There isn't an extra cost. Only if you want more than that.

All the info is available on the council websites.

My Shire is rural and the multiple dog permit is a yearly fee ($110) plus individual regos. (The indiv regos though are half price for VCA members and or desexed and halved again for pensioners so only $20 a year per dog or cat for me.biggrin.gif)

Rural land:

more than 6 dogs

more than 6 cats

I am pretty sure that I had to pay a one off fee and then the yearly rego for all three dogs, but that was nearly 6 years ago. I just looked at Zeph's permit and it was lodged in late 2009 and expires in June 2015.

But it is not current at the moment, because Baylee passed away in late 2013, so we automatically went to 2 dogs. If we want another dog we will have to apply for another permit. We are zoned Residential.

I'm not sure if there is a fee for an extra dog here (Mitcham SA) but I know there is an annual rego fee for each dog and it can be reduced for

1. pensioner owner

2. desexed dog

3. trained dog

4. microchipped dog

So I get 2,3,4 discounts for my dog but miss out on 1.

I like the NSW system where dogs get life time rego. Not sure about the extra dog permits.

Victoria is a bit stupid like that.

Rural land:

more than 6 dogs

more than 6 cats

I am pretty sure that I had to pay a one off fee and then the yearly rego for all three dogs, but that was nearly 6 years ago. I just looked at Zeph's permit and it was lodged in late 2009 and expires in June 2015.

But it is not current at the moment, because Baylee passed away in late 2013, so we automatically went to 2 dogs. If we want another dog we will have to apply for another permit. We are zoned Residential.

what shire are you in?

Well I called up yesterday as I needed to find this out anyway and for my parents home there is no restriction in our council area for how many dogs you can have so long as they are not being a nuisance, great!

Edited by Willowlane