Non-Electric Heat Bedding For Pets

RuralPug

I was looking at a website currectly advertising half-price on the Slumber Pet Cat Mats. These mats claim to have a heat reflective layer (like a space blanket) inside which reflects the pet's body heat and keeps them warm without needing power.

Now this might be a stupid question, but if I don't ask I will lose the chance to be educated, so....

Do you think if I cut up a space blanket (they are so cheap laugh.gif) and included it in a home made mat or bed liner, that it would work the same way? Which side of the blanket piece would have to face up - the shiny side or the other? Would the space blanket piece need to be immediately beneath the top layer of fabric or could it be a couple of layers down?

All comments welcome.

ETA typo fixes, as usual.

Edited by RuralPug

I was looking at a website currectly advertising half-price on the Slumber Pet Cat Mats. These mats claim to have a heat reflective layer (like a space blanket) inside which reflects the pet's body heat and keeps them warm without needing power.

Now this might be a stupid question, but if I don't ask I will lose the chance to be educated, so....

Do you think if I cut up a space blanket (they are so cheap laugh.gif) and included it in a home made mat or bed liner, that it would work the same way? Which side of the blanket piece would have to face up - the shiny side or the other? Would the space blanket piece need to be immediately beneath the top layer of fabric or could it be a couple of layers down?

All comments welcome.

Yep, I reckon it would work. shiny side up. My emergency bivvy bag for hiking is made like this. The layers go (from outer surface) : nylon cover, spongy stuff, space blanket, spongy stuff, space blanket, fleecy stuff.

With the fleecy stuff on the inside of the bag, nylon on the outside.

Hope I've made that understandable :eek: not great at describing things!

All comments welcome.

Rural Pug I have one of these that we got for Billy but he won't go anywhere near it. It has been opened but never used. I'll post it to you on Thursday. We also got him a really big memory foam bed but he doesn't like that one very much either, he prefers his big $10 K-mart cushion bed.

Valblitz you are awesome. My two Siamese will thank you forever!!! thumbsup1.gif

But I'm still thinking of making some large ones for the bigger foster dogs - I have a 14 y.o. here and she finds coats uncomfortable (sigh). The fosters have already destroyed heat bags and electric mats so I was hoping that home-made ones would be easier on nmy wallet when destroyed LOL

Canetoad, Scottsmum and westiemom thank you for your input!

Gallomph that is really helpful, thanks and similar to what I was planning!

I buy cheap yoga mats and cut them to be the "spongy stuff" in bed liners - would they be too dense for this purpose?

This is a timely thread as I was looking at a self-heating pet bed online today and am wondering if they work. Like valbitz though, there is a good chance my old dog won't use it. :laugh:

I might just get a space blanket and sew it between a blanket and a polar fleece top and see how he goes.

Valblitz you are awesome. My two Siamese will thank you forever!!! thumbsup1.gif

But I'm still thinking of making some large ones for the bigger foster dogs - I have a 14 y.o. here and she finds coats uncomfortable (sigh). The fosters have already destroyed heat bags and electric mats so I was hoping that home-made ones would be easier on nmy wallet when destroyed LOL

Canetoad, Scottsmum and westiemom thank you for your input!

Gallomph that is really helpful, thanks and similar to what I was planning!

I buy cheap yoga mats and cut them to be the "spongy stuff" in bed liners - would they be too dense for this purpose?

Yoga mats would be way too dense I think. I'm racking my brains to think of something comparable to the spongy stuff in my bivvy, but drawing a blank, sorry! It's pretty thin though.

I actually use snuggle safe pads too. Fairly hard for dogs to destroy! And I pop them into a "cocoon" bed that I made by putting a rectangular dog bed (with bolster type side), into a cheap kids sleeping bag. Very snug for my old chi boys.

Believe me, mastiff type hunting crosses can and do destroy snuggle safes! icon_smile_mad.gif

I was afraid of that with the yoga mats - I'm guessing the spongy stuff is very thin and light simliar to the packing stuff that comes with electronics sometimes? I might look in my local packaging depo and see what they have.

Let us know if that works, jemmapelle!

Guest Clover

I have been wondering about the self warming beds as well. The Petlife ones are quite expensive so I have been looking at the bono fido ones, which look ok.

for dogs that don't chew -

I have a collection of good/new 3 litre juice bottles the clear plastic ones.

the can be filled ( not right to lid) with very hot ( NOT boiling) water ... (just do up lid tight - hold bottle upside down for a few second to check for leaks) ..and then slid inside a large size explorer sock ..and tucked under one layer of blanket/bed . Make sure they are full enough, and on flat area so they don't "slossh"

They stay warm for hours!

Last night I did Gertie's - she sleeps on the porch . It was 3 deg here overnight - and her bottle is still warmish to touch :)

I have been using these for years & years ..& have only had 1 leaky one that I remember .....

Yoga mats / camping mats make good "igloos" - rolled around the bed so bed is in a tunnel ;) NON CHEWY DOGS ONLY!

We haven;t used heating in the house for a couple of years , but when we used the slow combustion wood heater , I always had a couple of housebricks on the top , warming. during the day .

Slid inside the old woollen explorer sock ..and tucked into bedding, these were used for old dogs, baby puppies ..and the odd person ;) They stay warm all night ......

using foil/reflective stuff?

YES.

Gertie's bed has as a base an old cover for a car fridge - it is canvas on the outside - foil stuff on the inside - and a perfect smaller dog size :)

So - a reflective layer .. a hot water bottle - good woollen bedding ..and a cover - and this 15 yr old sleeps warm and happily outside :)

• 3 weeks later...

The cats LOVE the bed you sent Valblitz, thanks so very much!!

Here are the boys enjoying it - sorry about the demon eyes LOL.

Essam the sealpoint and Chai the lilac point both have blue eyes, not that you'd ever know it from my photography! embarrass.gif

post-21294-0-08427800-1433319985_thumb.jpg

I just noticed this thread RuralPug and what came to mind was to suggest maybe you could use one of those silver windscreen shade cover things to cover instead of a space blanket? It might be cheaper and they are a bit padded as well. *2 cents suggestion :) *

Love your cosy kitties pic!

Gorgeous cats you have there RuralPug, at least it is big enough for both of them

Glad they like the bed :thumbsup: Just happy that it is getting some use instead of just sitting here gathering dust or dog hair or cat hair :laugh:

Edited by valbitz

yesterday , I came across these!

k&H microwaveable pet bed warmer

Being soft, squishy, warm, and comfy, the K&H Microwavable Pet Bed Warmer is the only one of its kind. It's simple to use, just minutes in the microwave is all it takes. The non-toxic warmer is safe and stays warm for up to 12 hours inside a pet's bed. simply microwave it as needed for anytime warmth for your pet. Hand wash with soap and water. One year warranty.

Also great to use for animals recovering from surgery that need to kept warm while they recuperate.

Soft and squishy when warm<br style="box-sizing: border-box;">• Durable neoprene cover<br style="box-sizing: border-box;">• Non-toxic<br style="box-sizing: border-box;">• No electricity needed for up to 12 hours of warmth<br style="box-sizing: border-box;">• One year warranty

Gorgeous cats you have there RuralPug, at least it is big enough for both of them

Glad they like the bed :thumbsup: Just happy that it is getting some use instead of just sitting here gathering dust or dog hair or cat hair :laugh:

Gorgeous cats indeed and a lovely gesture by you.

:heart: