English Springer Spaniel Willow's Story :)

Willowlane

Meet our new little supermodel Willow :D an 8 week old English Springer Spaniel.

She spent her 2nd day with us today and were already completely besotted. Last night was spent with her screaming the house down, I thought we would have the neighbours around for sure but she's been a bit more settled today so fingers crossed she will have a better night tonight!

It felt like such a long wait to get her but in reality it was only 3 months (but 3months can feel like forever when your really excited!!!). We have purchased her to show and then breed with when its the right time.

I have been so incredibly lucky with her breeder as she has been so helpful with every aspect of buying, starting showing etc. I cant wait to get in the ring and have some fun although we will need a fair bit of practice if todays session is anything to go by lol.

post-53328-0-52602800-1431771198_thumb.jpg

Edited by Willowlane

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2nd night started with her screaming again and omg she is so loud :dropjaw: and we live in suburbia and small lots so cant afford a really noisy dog even though we have spoken to the neighbours either side of us.

So we actually put her in the massive crate with our other dog and she was completely silent except for a small whimper at 12.30 when I took her out for a wee and a whimper at 2.30 and she went out and did a poo and wee then. Our other dog is only a cocker spaniel and has an XL soft crate so there was plenty of room for them both.

My only fear is that if we do this she will never crate alone and will always need her friend to settle her.

Also how do I help her to go through the night without needing toilet breaks? Will she just do this her self.

This was her this morning having a snooze :)

So in love :heart:

post-53328-0-16048400-1431826045_thumb.jpg

Did you try placing her crate right next to your other dog at night? :)

Allows her to have company and at the same time get used to being in her own crate.

Bella and Dallas have crate covers for their crate with a little flap on the side that I can open so that while they are mostly separate if they feel lonely they can just take a look at each other and settle down.

Sorry if you already mentioned it - just doing a quick skim of DOL before making lunch!

Edited by nyssel

http://www.vebopet.com.au/deluxe-water-resistent-canvas-cover-for-collapsible-dog-crate-5-sizes.html

This is the kind I use.

There is a flap that you can open that exposes the whole side of the crate open, that you can put side by side. Or there is also a smaller flap that exposes some mesh. :)

Sorry it's kind of hard to explain - I can show you a few pics of the girls' set up if you would like.

And Willow is such a sweetheart <3

Edited by nyssel

Thought I would give you all an update on our new little somewhat 'precious' girl Willow.

She is settling in well - everything that is except the whining and screaming at night time or when she is in her play pen in the living room.

Last night I changed her friends crate over to a wire one (she did have a soft crate) and put it right up side by side so she could easily see inside. We put her in with a Kong treat toy and a warm blanket, we had also taken her out to go toilet and fed her etc and what do you know she started screaming again as soon as she went it. I had also done a few fun games involving the crate and food treats earlier in the day and I had put the crate in her play pen and she had been sleeping in it through the day. It seemed to be positive but nope. So I tried covering the crate on all sides except the one that was next to our other dogs crate. She still whimpered and whined but was reasonably quiet for the night and no ear piercing screaming. She just had 2 breaks out side for pee's and no poops this time which was good.

Today we had screaming in the playpen as normal so I tried putting a pigs ear in with her but she wasn't interested in that so she then got a beef brisket as was suggested to me and she was quiet till she got bored and the screaming started again (she has about 8 toys in the play pen too). I have now got the playpen completely covered with a sheet and she's soundly sleeping not making a peep...woohoo seems she's finally relaxed a bit.

So tonights plan of attack is have her fed before bed, tired her out (a good play outside) and take the water away 1hr before bed. Then a comfy bed and blanket, her new little rug on so she warm but not restricted or itchy. She will have her new Snugglepuppy that has the heartbeat and heat pack in it to mimic one of her litter mates and she will have her beef brisket. Then the crate is going to be covered up and if she makes a sound she's just going to be left to work it out for her self...unless its her normal pee time. She's got everything she needs and we will have done everything we can so its up to her then....but I think this is going to be harder to follow then say!!

So my girl might seem a bit 'precious' at the moment but in horses the saying goes that 'the great ones are always the difficult ones because you need that extra sparkle' so she had better be bloody brilliant for what she putting us through lol!!

Thankyou Dogs Are Forevers, she's a real sweetie and very 'out there, go get em, Im here' in her personality which im hoping will be good for the ring.

Im not sure what our first show will be yet, it depends how I go learning everything (stacking etc) and trying to teach her at the same time. Im practicing for 5mins each day but finding it a bit tricky with a rather clever 8week old squirming about. She ran out beautifully today for me though and it was only the 2nd time we had ever tried lead work so I was very happy with that. Were going back to her breeders hopefully on the weekend for another stacking lesson which will be great, then professional lessons with a lady from Castle hill when she returns at the end of June.

We were thinking maybe ACT the first week of July for our first show or perhaps Bathurst on the 17th-19th July but we will just see what happens lol. Dont want to get ahead of myself.

I was hoping to do the two shows at Orchid Hills (bit close to home) on the 20th and 21st of June but our transfer of ownership and registration papers wont be back in time for close of entries but lots of comps to come so no rush :)

Willow, although the closing dates for those shows (at Castle Hill, not Orchard Hills!) are in the next day or so, they both offer online entries, which are usually kept open longer, sometimes up until the weekend before the show. If you are on FaceBook, there are pages for Dog Show Entry Numbers and also another one for results.... Quite often the cataloguer will post when they will close off online entries. Feel free to PM me if you want further info, or links to the pages.

Thankyou Dogs Are Forevers, she's a real sweetie and very 'out there, go get em, Im here' in her personality which im hoping will be good for the ring.

Im not sure what our first show will be yet, it depends how I go learning everything (stacking etc) and trying to teach her at the same time. Im practicing for 5mins each day but finding it a bit tricky with a rather clever 8week old squirming about. She ran out beautifully today for me though and it was only the 2nd time we had ever tried lead work so I was very happy with that. Were going back to her breeders hopefully on the weekend for another stacking lesson which will be great, then professional lessons with a lady from Castle hill when she returns at the end of June.

We were thinking maybe ACT the first week of July for our first show or perhaps Bathurst on the 17th-19th July but we will just see what happens lol. Dont want to get ahead of myself.

I was hoping to do the two shows at Orchid Hills (bit close to home) on the 20th and 21st of June but our transfer of ownership and registration papers wont be back in time for close of entries but lots of comps to come so no rush :)

Yay SnugglePuppy worked...it actually WORKED!!!!!!!

The toy that mimics a real puppy with heart beat and heat pack had Miss Willow sound asleep within 2 minutes last night. No sreaming, whimpering or whining like the horrible last 3 nights...absolutley nothing, we didnt even have to cover her crate. She didnt stir until Maple woke her at 4.30am and then she went straight back to sleep :D

We had one happy puppy which is all we wanted

THANKYOU K9 Pro and Huski especially, your an absolute gem!!!

post-53328-0-09575900-1432003042_thumb.jpg

Keep an eye on Ozentries and Easy Dog Entries as they often only close the week before :)

Don't expect babies to be fully trained, just go out and have fun. Also enter sweepstakes as they are a fun learning experience for babies.

I go to show training at Luci's :)