English Springer Spaniel Willow's Story :)

Willowlane

For pacing you need to either bump her before you run so she goes off balance & has to gait but also be aware she may pace when you turn on your traingles/out/back.

Having the lead under the ear or on top of the head & giving a soft tug before you run or squeaking a toy will help but you need to time it all so when you move off she works with it.

Depends what you call to slow between the stack & the run ,many new people actually rush it & make mistakes before they think everyone else does it faster .

From the stack to the run your main mission is to have the lead right,get the dogs attention ,line up with the judge & move off.

I never run straight off after a stack with babies in particular i will walk in a circle to get there attention & settle then move off,i generally do this with my adults ,There is no point moving a pacing dog especially if you don't stop & get the gait going so slow down & take the time to get the dog willing to run .

Jigging up is easy & with my babies i don't want them to be lifeless so i prefer to foster show attitude than stacking right or running right a bored dog isn't a show dog & you can create a stall puppy very quickly .

I don't show train my babies ,i teach free baiting through play,lead training is walking & stacking is done when i groom .maybe when you go to your classes you need to ask them about how to encourage more zest to show ,she may also be over it at present .

Springers are allowed to pace one of the few breeds but no one really allows it .

When you take her for a social walk does she pace then ??

Pacing can also sometime mean there sore & made need a chiro or bowen .

Showing isn'y about winning & to be honest that can be the biggest failure in handling skills when you want to achieve more than what your baby may be ready for,She will be hitting the fugglies now an age that often many breeds don't do as well at so its more about keeping them exposed but making it fun during this phase .

When you run do you use a toy ,bait or anything & yes talking is a must babies need to now what you want & the voice is that tool ,a squeaky can also help at times or disinterest & don't be afraid to rev her up before running ,ie a whack on the bum (play whack) giddy up under the chin ,watch other breeds & see what people do ,use your lead like you would on a horse

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your girls looks beautiful :) I am SO sorry about Carny .losing a best friend horse is one of the hardest things .I will be thinking of you ..and imagining him, freed from this tired old body - kicking up his heels as he heads for the slushie bucket over the rainbow bridge ;) :hug:

Thanks persephone, he was a very special boy :)

My 2 girls have been a real comfort to me since Carny left, Dogs are a wonderful thing in not only the best but also the most difficult of times xx

For pacing you need to either bump her before you run so she goes off balance & has to gait but also be aware she may pace when you turn on your traingles/out/back.Having the lead under the ear or on top of the head & giving a soft tug before you run or squeaking a toy will help but you need to time it all so when you move off she works with it.Depends what you call to slow between the stack & the run ,many new people actually rush it & make mistakes before they think everyone else does it faster .From the stack to the run your main mission is to have the lead right,get the dogs attention ,line up with the judge & move off.I never run straight off after a stack with babies in particular i will walk in a circle to get there attention & settle then move off,i generally do this with my adults ,There is no point moving a pacing dog especially if you don't stop & get the gait going so slow down & take the time to get the dog willing to run .Jigging up is easy & with my babies i don't want them to be lifeless so i prefer to foster show attitude than stacking right or running right a bored dog isn't a show dog & you can create a stall puppy very quickly .I don't show train my babies ,i teach free baiting through play,lead training is walking & stacking is done when i groom .maybe when you go to your classes you need to ask them about how to encourage more zest to show ,she may also be over it at present .Springers are allowed to pace one of the few breeds but no one really allows it .When you take her for a social walk does she pace then ??Pacing can also sometime mean there sore & made need a chiro or bowen .Showing isn'y about winning & to be honest that can be the biggest failure in handling skills when you want to achieve more than what your baby may be ready for,She will be hitting the fugglies now an age that often many breeds don't do as well at so its more about keeping them exposed but making it fun during this phase .When you run do you use a toy ,bait or anything & yes talking is a must babies need to now what you want & the voice is that tool ,a squeaky can also help at times or disinterest & don't be afraid to rev her up before running ,ie a whack on the bum (play whack) giddy up under the chin ,watch other breeds & see what people do ,use your lead like you would on a horse

Thankyou so much for all the information showdog!

I will go through bit by bit :)

1. She seems to mainly pace in the walk but can at time pace for one or two strides in the trot. The lady who pointed it out to me on Sunday and helped me said the same thing as you. I need to distract her, get her attention on me, a bit like snapping her out of it. The lady who helped me got me to distract her by talking to her a lot more...when I get nervous Im silent lol and Willow really seemed to respond to me being more vocal. Unfortunately she is pacing when I walk her normally, it seems to have been a side effect of putting a choker on her to walk her everyday which was a suggestion to stop her pulling but I think it caused her to start getting lazy and stop the forward thinking motion. A chiro could be a good idea I just dont know any good ones in our area mmmm :confused: it wouldnt surprise me if she is sore with how she plays.

2. I have her on a chain to show which I run with under her ear. We counted it out and by the time I stood up, placed and tightened the chain under her chin, brought it up under her ear, stood up, straightened the lead, wrapped it around my hand and set off it took me 20secs!!!!!! It was very neat but omg so long I definitely dont rush. I then walk a little circle around me to straighten her up in front of the judge, walk her out a little, start moving off slowly then build up speed. I use to dash off quickly till I was corrected.

3. When it comes to her antics in the ring she likes to try jump all over the competitor around her and embrace her inner springer roots, of course I dont actually let her jump on the dog next door but rather get her to focus on playing with me. Food rewards, talking to her, funny voices, funny faces, anything to keep her amused and keep it fun for her. Is this the kind of thing your meaning? Should I be doing this? I do a lot of this at home and just transfer it to the ring when the time comes. I like to have a strong partnership, well thats what Im working on.

4. I will admit something very bad, the last 4 weeks I have not been able to train her at all between shows :( starting a new job has made it impossible. I groom her once a week but because im new to grooming it takes me longer than the average person so I dont want to make her stand there any longer than need be. The lady I met on Sunday said to just do 5mins in the morning or evening each day in front of a mirror. What do you think of this? Is it too much or too little?

I don't stop my dogs from walking out infront of me on general walks & i won't allow mine to pace & if they do they get a jig up .

I actually hate my dogs walking ny my side but they do now that if the have to they must but i do encourage my babies to venture out front .If would certainly encourage a more get up & go attitude even on wlaks because pacing is your worst nightmare & many people have no idea because the dogs can run just as fast in a pace .

Yes the having fun in the ring is what i mean .

As for the time you are taking to move off i wouldn't call that long when you have a baby ,when you stack her do you leave the lead tight under her ear or do something else.All mine are stacked with ;lead still under ear so when i get up to move the lead is ready unless with the babies its shifted in the stack .

I always fix the lead whilst there stacked ,my old boy likes to shack so he has been taught to shake before we move as it become a game with him shaking half way out

With a pacing dog i would not start walking off & you don't need to ,yes some run off to fast but to slow is just as bad,when doing your circle that is the time to get the dog s attention ,when i circle i move off straight away so the motion isn't broken.

What i would suggest if your girl is a pacer is not routine her change it around ,confusion is often the method used by handlers with pacers,watch the Newfoundlands/Saints being shown these breeds can be bad for it .

The lack of training won't make an issue ,seriously you can over train babies & turn them sour ^ also train in bad habits,in day to day activities you can train many show things without it being a specific show routine.teaching to catch bait can help free stacks,if she likes to play ball that can be a free stack game ,i never train puppies show routine as its boring /repetitious & there minds zone out quickly but when done as a game the fun side catches on quicker .

If she walks on a lead then she will run on a lead ,its just making the lead Fun.

As for grooming don't be afraid that its to long .having owned long coat breeds for to many years what you train now makes life easier especially whilst there small.the except it easier now than later .

Im not a believer of train each day but if i do stack train then its always in front of the mirror or reflective area so i can see what my youngsters are looking like,i groom with a mirror so its easy .

It sounds like you have people who are giving you good advice so don't be afraid to keep asking .don't panic over how long it takes you unless you are totally screwing up & that would more be a case of losing the moment of being ready & your dog disconnecting ,from the minute you have the lead ready its all about the dog.

Always ask for feedback & don't be afraid others to help most people will whether you like there advice is up to you but every bit is learning,video yourself but in the end your dog is a baby make it fun ,they grow up to quickly & you should have many years of showing ahead

• 8 months later...

I have only just found this thread and loved reading all about your adventures with Willow! Thanks for sharing. If you don't mind me asking (PM if you prefer), who is Willow's breeder?