White Swiss Shepherd

Shakti

Hi - was wondering if anyone here could please clarify the differences (and similarities) in temperament between these two breeds? I have heard that the White Swiss is a little more flighty, nervous and sometimes skittish - can be more like a Tervuren or a Groenendal than like a GSD?

I have two White Swiss and a Czech*East German GSD. Both Swiss are beautiful dogs but much bigger than a German Shepherd, even my oversized German Shepherd. The male is close to 50 kgs. Both have very soft temperaments and could never do any serious work. They are goof balls and fun. My German Shepherd is very different. As regular pets the Swiss are great. So is my GSD who is a great pet and also a goof-ball type dog, but he could be a much more serious dog if put in a position to need to be serious. The Swiss bark well so would scare people away but with the first sign of confrontation they would run. BUT I am comparing my White Swiss to a working-line GSD so I don't think my comments would be the same if I had a show-line shepherd - generally.

Thinking back to when I had a show-line GSD (but this was prior to White Swiss Shepherds in Aus) - he wasn't really that different to the whites I have now. The WSS I have are great pet dogs, with not a bad bone in their bodies and with their size would be decent dogs to have around to convince unwanted people from entering the yard. But jez they are hairy and drop lots of hair all of the time. They were rescues.

Both WSS don't show nervous behaviours at all, and are not skittish. I would just classify them a soft in temperament.

Edited by pepe001

I have had more to do with White Swiss Shepherds than GSDs recently but the ones I see at dog shows are far calmer than their GSD relatives. They also don't appear to pull their handlers over and lunge towards other dogs or each other as often. I suspect, however, that what I see is often speciality GSDs which are shown very differently at speciality level than at all breed level so when they are at all breeds shows they can appear terribly out of control and quite frightening (my personal opinion here).

I haven't met a White Swiss Shepherd that was nervous or anything other than confident.