Fruit And Vegetable Pulp

I just got a juicer and I was wondering if giving my dogs the pulp every day would be ok? I gave them a little bit and they loved it.

I use apple (I take the seeds out first), whole pears, whole lemons, carrots, celery and ginger.

Hmm, juicer - discarding pulp?

I just heard on the health report that fibre (pulp) is really important especially if we want to reduce appetite, lose or maintain weight, and prevent diabetes and high blood pressure.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/healthreport/low-gi-diets-may-add-risk/6443432#transcript

One of the things that we are leaning towards is that you get a lot of the benefit of a healthy diet just by following other aspects, a diet that is high in fibre, for example, a diet that is higher in potassium and lower in sodium. My sense is that glycaemic index, well, there might be some modest benefit perhaps but we shouldn't be organising our dietary preferences and habits around it.

Norman Swan: I think Frank Sacks argues that the categories of food around low glycaemic index, it may well be the fibre in them that's the issue, not…

Larry Appel: Yes, see, this is a common issue with studies of diet or food or nutrients, is that nutrients don't come in isolation, there are what they call confounding nutrients travel together. So typically most foods that are high in glycaemic index are low in fibre, and foods that are low in glycaemic tend to be higher in fibre, sort of like the white rice versus brown rice or wholegrain. So that's where we think this is going. You can get the benefits that we attributed to low glycaemic by focusing more on other aspects of diet.

I think you would have to pay attention to what (some) dogs are allergic to.

eg

macadamias

chocolate

grapes

tomatos

onions

avocado

stone fruit etc.

Mind you - every time I look up the list - different lists say different things. I found one that said no raw fish. What? I eat that? and no liver (not sure if it meant raw or cooked).

Absolutely however avoid citric fruits.

Like lemon? Or do you mean oranges & mandarins?

I put lemon & lemon slices iin some meat casseroles which HH sometimes eats.

:flower:

Dogs aren't fantastic at breaking down the acids in fruits so it's not something you want to be giving on a regular basis or in any great amount. In regards to Lemons, it's the psoralen compound that's the issue and in many dogs it can cause diarrhea, light sensitivity and vomiting - I'm not familiar with the specific amounts per kilo of dog.

Dogs aren't fantastic at breaking down the acids in fruits so it's not something you want to be giving on a regular basis or in any great amount. In regards to Lemons, it's the psoralen compound that's the issue and in many dogs it can cause diarrhea, light sensitivity and vomiting - I'm not familiar with the specific amounts per kilo of dog.

Thanks.. Funnily enough HH can be 'farty' after those meals with the lemon. Shall bear that in mind for the future.