Toilet Training An 8Week Old Puppy

Willowlane

the magic of a lead will solve the 'too busy to wee' problem you have Sheridan. Put her on a lead each time you take her out at night. Praise her for doing her business when she's done and then get her back inside and settled in bed so she learns that night time is for sleeping.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 10 week old puppy who sees the outdoors as a giant playpen. She's too distracted by all the things to do a wee. Look, leaves! Look, sticks! How long do I, in the middle of an icy night, give her to do a wee? I've been out there for half an hour or more without success and as soon as I get her inside, she does a wee. I've had her three days.

O My! Sheridan, what sort of pup?

maybe some photies....

NOW

the magic of a lead will solve the 'too busy to wee' problem you have Sheridan. Put her on a lead each time you take her out at night. Praise her for doing her business when she's done and then get her back inside and settled in bed so she learns that night time is for sleeping.

Great! All I have to do is lead train her first! I don't even have a collar for her yet.

Do you have a wire pen? Perhaps not. If you did you could place it in the yard at the toilet spot of your choice and drop her in it until she performs. Takes all the fun out of it. They soon realise that toilet means the business and theres fun to be had elsewhere so get on with it.

Yup. I've trained 3 pups in the middle of winter with an umbrella and my nightie. Get grumpy, get a leash. And using a toilet word obsessively at the top of your lungs is good for teaching them to go quickly and to keep the neighbours away from the crazy lady.

Yup. I've trained 3 pups in the middle of winter with an umbrella and my nightie. Get grumpy, get a leash. And using a toilet word obsessively at the top of your lungs is good for teaching them to go quickly and to keep the neighbours away from the crazy lady.

Aw, I did not realise you knew me that well!

We were doing variations of this scenario at 05:55am today.....

Poor Herbert was poorly. He needed to do what he had done a mere 4 hours earlier....

Cue grumpy crazy Momma

:eek:

Perhaps those advocating a leash can expand other than just saying 'get a leash'. Or did your puppies magically arrive leash trained? Every puppy I've known has to be leashed trained and has fought the leash. I tried a show lead I have last night and she spent most of the time fighting it rather than doing a wee. It at least has the virtue of distracting her from the yard as playpen.

I put a really light leash on (cat leash even) and just let them drag it around to start with. My baby puppies will get that this week as they are super cool with collars going on and off. Winter puppies are always a bit tougher. I dress up warmly and do stuff outside (sweep, weed etc) - so if pup takes a while I'm still achieving something! Limiting their yard space does work - compost panels from Bunnings make a great (boring!) puppy pen for toileting.

some puppies challenge everything you try! The terriers I have had have all been little terriorists to start with!

Another thing you might try is to clean up the pee inside with a paper towel or rag and then take that outside to a convenient but as boring as possible spot in the yard. hold it down with a rock or something, and then when you take the puppy out, place it at that spot and draw its interest down to the ground where the rag is. Smelling its own pee in that spot may trigger a response. If you have noticed the puppy using a particular spot during the day, that might be a good place to put the rag down.

ETA....sometimes you really need to think outside the box. If the little monkey has a penchant for going on carpet, then take the indoors, outdoors.... get a piece of carpet or a bath mat or such and put it in 'the spot' outside. place a pee soaked rag under it. weight it down with bricks or rock or such and encourage the pup to use the outside 'inside' spot. make a big deal of that magic outside carpet and they are smart enough to learn the difference between outside and inside.

If youre really having all sorts of problems maybe use pee pads inside at the spot that seems to get the most attention and slowly move it towards outside until you get success.

one way or another it will happen. You just have to work out a strategy for getting best results.

Edited by GrufLife

Perhaps those advocating a leash can expand other than just saying 'get a leash'. Or did your puppies magically arrive leash trained? Every puppy I've known has to be leashed trained and has fought the leash. I tried a show lead I have last night and she spent most of the time fighting it rather than doing a wee. It at least has the virtue of distracting her from the yard as playpen.

Sorry Sheridan.

I got a regular old leash and let them drag it around. Then I'd walk them up and down the hall, bribing with food every time they fought it. Always praising, never yelling. Then same outside. Yes in the beginning it might take longer outside coz you are dealing with both - I used to go outside with a huge tablespoon of peanut butter or cubes of cheese in my dressing gown. I've been walking a pup up and down the garden for 45 mins but it's amazing how fast they get it.

If the leash is always on inside- it becomes a non issue. Ernie sometimes still has his leash on if he's in a particularly zoomie mood and he's a year old now.

Does that help at all?

My friend's Scottish Terrier pup threw hissy fits when on his lead so she put on a light harness, let him wear it it for a few hours each day and clipped the lead to that so he dragged it around, this worked better than just the collar and leash

Great! All I have to do is lead train her first! I don't even have a collar for her yet.

I don't lead train that early either but i've still managed to take my pups out to toilet on leash to teach them to evacuate on command; i use a front clipping harness and a light weight puppy leash. I don't use the collar with a leash for a long time. In fact Laiken is 9 months old and i still have her on a front clipping harness and take her out for wee breaks on lead at night.

In the life of your puppy, the solution to your problem is very simple so don't over think it.

I use a harness and just put it on and attach the lead to drag around on the floor. They have all been pretty accepting after a couple of minutes. Lead training with a show lead took longer and I did that seperately as I didn't want ping to learn to pull on his show lead. There were some major theatrics when that went on the first few times

Hi everyone

A quick update on Willow (the puppy who started this thread). She now goes out and does wee's when ever i say the word toilet, She's pretty reliable pooping on command also. The only problems we have is if i forget to put her out regularly enough or we are at my parents house. She gets so caught up in playing that even when let out she forgets to go or fully go so we get little bits of wee springing up through the house.

I tried a lead on her but she just fought it tooth and nail and with her needing to really accept the lead for her show work I gave up on the lead idea. However we only have a small backyard so not much ofher things to get focused on.

I don't lead train that early either but i've still managed to take my pups out to toilet on leash to teach them to evacuate on command; i use a front clipping harness and a light weight puppy leash. I don't use the collar with a leash for a long time. In fact Laiken is 9 months old and i still have her on a front clipping harness and take her out for wee breaks on lead at night.

In the life of your puppy, the solution to your problem is very simple so don't over think it.

Perhaps I'm 'over thinking' it because I don't understand how putting a leash on an unleash trained puppy magically makes the puppy do a wee.

So, I got a collar and a lead, put them on and spent the next 15 minutes with puppy fighting it. No wee. But you say a harness is the trick? This makes a puppy do a wee?

I guess i assumed that you would know to spend a little time introducing puppy to a lead and collar rather than just putting them both on puppy and expecting instant results.

Your complaint was that puppy was too busy playing when you took puppy out to wee; a leashed puppy will solve that problem. You can control the environment by using a lead so that puppy doesn't play when it's wee time thus making the odds more in your favour that puppy will eventually wee; rather than play. It won't take long for puppy to learn that puppy is being taken outside to wee rather than play at night. You can't make puppy do a wee but you can certainly make the odds more in your favour that puppy will wee when you take it out by controlling the environment.

Before you introduce the harness/collar/leash at night, introduce them for short periods during the day with lots of positive reward. Introducing leads/collars/harnesses doesn't usually take a lot of time and can be done over a few days if pup doesn't take kindly.

The reason i introduce a harness before using the leash attached to the collar is so that puppy won't experience any neck pulling if it decides to pull when running out to toilet. I like puppies to have a 'soft' neck so that when i finally do proper leash training, the slightest of leash movement, like tapping, will alert puppy to what i'm asking of them. I don't like yank 'n crank but a leash, gently used, is a good tool.

Pretty much what suziwong66 said: you said your pup was being distracted by the environment, introducing the leash to limit the pups range will reduce distraction by the environment. Will putting a leash on your puppy make it wee? No, but it will put you in control of what else it can do.

Edited by Jemmy