Cats And Dogs

Odin-Genie

Hi,

Finally I got two kittens in April this year. They are Norwegian Forest Cats. Initially Odin was in hyper drive and we couldn't even get the cats out in carry bags in his presence.

Over the next few weeks we gradually introduced them, bringing them out in play pens for a few minutes at a time, conscious that the kittens shouldn't get traumatised. It seemed like an impossible task. But two weeks ago, Odin's attitude suddenly changed and became protective. As if they were now part of the pack. Now they play with each other, chase and are generally extremely comfortable. We still don't let them together unsupervised, but when we are home they all have free reign. So i thought I will post this photo:

Odin-Loki_zpsjdhr2i4l.jpg

Now for the main issue. Genie, our GR, is hell bent on eating cat litter (and the cat poo with it :vomit: ). We have tried different types of litter but she isn't deterred. We now don't let her have access to the litter boxes (they are covered with little flaps, but Genie can push her head through the flaps). Is there anything we can do to stop her eating the cat litter?

put the cat litter in a room with a door and make the gap in the door to that room only big enough for the cats to get through. A baby gate may help if the gaps in the rungs are large enough for a cat to slink through but not big enough for your dog to get through.

sadly cat poops aka 'tootsie rolls' are the tastiest substance in the world for most dogs.

Norwegian Forest kittens :love: :love: :heart: :heart: My two are 16 months old and just lovely. Such chilled kitties, except when they're doing zoomies or practising tree climbing on their cat gym, or any other piece of climbing equipment they find inside. Mine were raised with dogs in the house as babies, but the breed characteristics say they get on well with other animals. Looks like that's proving true for yours too.

'Kitty crunchies' are yummy, my old BC girl says. But yes, not as a steady diet. I'd agree with the baby gate on the kittens' "powder room".

Ha. Yes, cat litter can be dangerous for dogs if it builds up in their gut. Plus dogs usually think the best time to lick you is right after cleaning the litter tray. The easiest thing I've found is to put a baby gate in place and raise it a few inches off the ground for the cats to crawl under, in case your cats aren't happy jumping over/squeezing through the slats.

Bloody greedy goldies, mine used to do the same with our cat litter! Would walk out of the bathroom going "crunch crunch". :eek:

I ditched it and used newspaper. It was still a race for the poo but at least she wasn't ingesting the litter.

I know not all cats are ok with newspaper, but it's worth a try? (Much cheaper too!)

Your dog will always eat the cat poo, you can't train them not to. Its irresistable.

An alternative is to put the cat litter high up. Even young kittens can jump quite well. Maybe put up a card table or similar & put the litter on top of it if you have a space anywhere.

Edited by Christina

Cat lollies :laugh:

Google 'upcycle cat litter box' and the photos will be better than my description but basically, a little piece of furniture with a cat size entry and the tray further to the back so it's hard to reach.

eg here http://indulgy.com/post/nmtjfEJgR1/hidden-litter-box

Ooh, this is a good idea! Eventually we want to be able to move the cat litter out of our spare room (because we want to be able to have guests in there and not have them sleep with the litter box lol), but are struggling to work out how to keep the dog out of the litter when the time comes...currently the spare room is the cat's domain and there is a gate across it, but this won't be a permanent solution