Welsh Springer Spaniels

Henrietta

Hi everyone,

Can anyone share their experiences of Welshies? What kind of owner would be suitable?

How would they compare in energy levels to say a Vizsla or Brittany?

What would it be like to train one, in general basic training and perhaps obedience and agility?

Is there anything I should know about temperament and health in Australian lines?

Any comments appreciated.

We have some nice Welshies competing in tracking (they're brilliant) and another in agility. So small sample. From what I've seen of them, I'd say they are generally calmer that Viszlas and Brittanies, but possibly a little harder to train for things like agility and obedience. They just seem to an outside observer a little more self-centred and determined on their own course. The agility Welshie lad was so funny .. he would be apparently going to crash into a jump cos his nose was on the ground, and then he would just clear it almost from a standstill, and go on his way.

Hopefully you'll get some more knowledgeable people coming in soon.

Thanks Tassie. I also thought they'd be softer in temperament than a Brittany. They seem like a busy dog but yes, I had the impression they were a bit calmer generally than the breeds I mentioned.

From the few I know, not sure I'd say softer than a Britt or Viszla... the ones I know just seem to be a bit less gung ho and OTT. Hopefully some people who really know and have lots more experience of the breeds will come by. :)

I can only comment from a pet owners perspective of owning a Welshies as a child but my girl is coming up for 14yrs old in July is the most loyal dog I have ever known. From memory she is all Australian lines but I can not be certain for sure. We purchased her from a show breeder in Kurrajong NSW.

She is only trained with simple commands but would do anything for me. She is definitely a one dog owner and although loves going to other people for attention will come straight back to me at the smallest murmur no food required and I have never needed any to train her, no toys either she just loves working with me as I love working with her. She is the kind of dog that if im 20m away from her thats too far apart so she comes lies at my feet or follows me around the kitchen or house for the whole day and everyday after that. She is a true shadow.

Health wise we touch wood have never had a single problem with her up till now and for almost 14 years that is a pretty good run!

She has an incredible nose, if her eyes cant find me her nose always does. She is always happy unless I am not around then she sits at the top of the driveway sun, wind or rain waiting for me to come home.

Only problem we have had was when we moved her and my other dog into our new house and she developed real separation anxiety when ever I left the house lucky we found a solution so everyone and especially my girl is happy.

So there is my little bit of story, I dont know if its of any use but might be

My experience is much the same as Tassie, there are a couple at my agility club... I would say they aren't quite as energetic as either vizsla or Brittanies but can be as easily distracted! If anything I would say vizsla and Brittany are softer, they really seem to crumple when growled at while the Welshie goes on merrily doing whatever it got told off for hahaha

I own a Brittany girl (Scout) and walk regularly with lady who owns a 12 months Welsh Springer boy. He is way more laid back than our Brit. Stays closer and just seems in general very sweet natured and less intense. He goes on walks and Scout goes on hunts. He is very good with other dogs, he is best mates with my same age male BC. When she is not busy hunting, Scout is a very soft dog. As I also do agility I would say the Welshies I know in that sport are more steady and sensible than the Brits I know!

• 2 weeks later...

I can only comment from a pet owners perspective of owning a Welshies as a child but my girl is coming up for 14yrs old in July is the most loyal dog I have ever known. From memory she is all Australian lines but I can not be certain for sure. We purchased her from a show breeder in Kurrajong NSW.

She is only trained with simple commands but would do anything for me. She is definitely a one dog owner and although loves going to other people for attention will come straight back to me at the smallest murmur no food required and I have never needed any to train her, no toys either she just loves working with me as I love working with her. She is the kind of dog that if im 20m away from her thats too far apart so she comes lies at my feet or follows me around the kitchen or house for the whole day and everyday after that. She is a true shadow.

Health wise we touch wood have never had a single problem with her up till now and for almost 14 years that is a pretty good run!

She has an incredible nose, if her eyes cant find me her nose always does. She is always happy unless I am not around then she sits at the top of the driveway sun, wind or rain waiting for me to come home.

Only problem we have had was when we moved her and my other dog into our new house and she developed real separation anxiety when ever I left the house lucky we found a solution so everyone and especially my girl is happy.

So there is my little bit of story, I dont know if its of any use but might be

Thank you Willowlane! So I suppose you could describe your girl as quite velcro? She sounds lovely and quite a good age as well. May I ask what the solution to the separation anxiety was?

You've recently brought home an ESS? Is this your first ESS? It will be interesting to see how they compare (breed wise I mean, every dog's an individual!)

My experience is much the same as Tassie, there are a couple at my agility club... I would say they aren't quite as energetic as either vizsla or Brittanies but can be as easily distracted! If anything I would say vizsla and Brittany are softer, they really seem to crumple when growled at while the Welshie goes on merrily doing whatever it got told off for hahaha

I own a Brittany girl (Scout) and walk regularly with lady who owns a 12 months Welsh Springer boy. He is way more laid back than our Brit. Stays closer and just seems in general very sweet natured and less intense. He goes on walks and Scout goes on hunts. He is very good with other dogs, he is best mates with my same age male BC. When she is not busy hunting, Scout is a very soft dog. As I also do agility I would say the Welshies I know in that sport are more steady and sensible than the Brits I know!

Thanks everyone. These are interesting perspectives. Quite the description of a merry spaniel. :laugh: I had a feeling they were generally less intense than Brits. But they also don't sound like hugely soft dogs? Confident and happy.