Number Of Matings.

rajacadoo

Just curious about the numbers of matings that i should do...

Basenji bitch, 6 years old, 2nd litter, perfect health. Came into season later than usual this year, bled for 3-4 days with small swelling. Bleeding then stopped, swelling went down. Then swelling started again day 10, no more bleeding. Tried a mating on day 11, successful 17 min tie. Then the next day another 10 minute tie. So this is day 11 and 12. Advice from experienced breeder, and this bitch's breeder, was to try another today, so now day 14. Another 18 min tie.

So after all this, I'm wondering if I should try again tomorrow ??? She was initially a bit growly with him today, but we still got the tie. Breeder says try tomorrow, she will either accept him, or tell him to rack off !!! This bitch's mother only accepts the dog very late in her season, if that's of any interest.

Just not sure to call it quits now, or try again tomorrow. Any idea's ???

Personally, I would be doing prog testing, particularly as her season has been a bit unusual - then you would have a clearer picture on where you stand.

Hard on a Saturday though, although we did a prog test with Nova on a Saturday - had NHVH take bloods first thing and mark it as a rush job and we dropped them into Hobart Path and had the results by about 11am.

In the absence of prog testing, I would probably try again and see what her reaction is like.

I let the bitch mate if she is willing, usually about day 12 to 14. 2 matings if she is happy about it, only one if she is not.

It always been successful. I did have one girl who would only allow the mating at day 19 but that is rare.

If she is still bleeding she is not ready. You will have to prog test if unsure.

No need to prog test - jobs done already - let the dogs tell you.

what she says

Personally if I have a dog and bitch at hand I try until I get the first mating and then allow them to mate each day if they want to until the bitch tells him to bugger off.

If you prog test and the results says she's ready but she is not willing to mate, what are you going to do then ?

I don't believe that bitches who do not mate willingly and whelp freely are worth persisting with.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Prog testing at this late stage wasn't possible, down here in Tassie.

I decided to try them together today, to see what happened. She has definately 'shut up shop', so fingers crossed all goes to plan :) ...