Dog Recommendations

dogz101

Short hair like staffy.

No regular kids over but elderly yes.

Prefer trainable to a degree, but not looking for superstar dog or anything

What are the Velcro breeds?

Small yard. Fencing is colourbond but not that high. 1.5-6 I'm some places

Health thing is I prefer not to own breeds like the Bulldog and Sharpei. Purely due to the common health concerns

Vizslas are THE Velcro breed

:)

Never had a greyhound have you? :)

I have a friend with a grey that lives happily with her cats, small dog and free range chickens and has done for 6 years yet recently attacked the cat next door. The age of a greyhound does not mean they will be cat tolerant.

I feel that's common with many dogs, though. Having had greys, staffie crosses, cattle dog crosses and even small dog breeds through my home, they've all lived happily with the cats inside but when outside need supervision and if it's a strange cat, then it had better be very quick.

A bored dachshund will soon be a noisy dachshund!

It could be said to some extend for most breeds, but especially so with dachshunds. They are beaut little dogs but they do often like the sound of their own voices!

You probably won't get much sympathy here wanting a small smooth coat breed for outdoors etc but it can and does work if you make the right choices and manage the situation properly.

My personal choice would probably be a Smooth Fox Terrier, but I have a soft spot for the breed.

:( so many of the smaller dogs are busy dogs ... and may well dig to China or yip when alone and bored.

smooth coated dogs are not really made for living outdoors in Winter ...once again - a bored/cold/hot dog will react in ways not always accepted by humans ;)

A bored dachshund will soon be a noisy dachshund!

It could be said to some extend for most breeds, but especially so with dachshunds. They are beaut little dogs but they do often like the sound of their own voices!

You probably won't get much sympathy here wanting a small smooth coat breed for outdoors etc but it can and does work if you make the right choices and manage the situation properly.

My personal choice would probably be a Smooth Fox Terrier, but I have a soft spot for the breed.

Oh god yes Daccies can bark up a storm. A friend has 4 of them, she's always owned them, they go everywhere with her she's a groomer and they go to work with her everyday so they are definitely not bored but someone knock on the door or hear a noise?? :eek: off they go!

A neighbour once had a daccie - Henry . Lovely nature ..but did dig! ( and when he sneezed, his nose would hit the ground)

Yeah well they're pretty low down lol. I remember having lunch with my friend and her Daccies in a café in Double Bay and a lady sitting at the next table said in a very posh voice "oh my look at their little ankles!" my friend replied "ankles? that's their legs!" :laugh:

A neighbour once had a daccie - Henry . Lovely nature ..but did dig! ( and when he sneezed, his nose would hit the ground)

Yeah well they're pretty low down lol. I remember having lunch with my friend and her Daccies in a café in Double Bay and a lady sitting at the next table said in a very posh voice "oh my look at their little ankles!" my friend replied "ankles? that's their legs!" :laugh:

:coffeesplurk:

A bit OT, but:

I dogsat my friends doxie once, and was getting a bit frustrated that he wouldn't sit for his dinner on the second night.

but, he HAD sat, i just couldn't tell from the front because his head stayed at the same height laugh.gif

Poor boy embarrass.gif

ETA: my auntie has one now, and she is really nice, but she is indoors and sleeps on their bed, and also has two young girls to tire her out.

Some of the ones that came into work were mental though and you could not shut them up!

And i did recently read a list that puts doxies at the top of the 'vicious dog list'.

Edited by denali

A bit OT, but:

I dogsat my friends doxie once, and was getting a bit frustrated that he wouldn't sit for his dinner on the second night.

but, he HAD sat, i just couldn't tell from the front because his head stayed at the same height laugh.gif

Poor boy embarrass.gif

ETA: my auntie has one now, and she is really nice, but she is indoors and sleeps on their bed, and also has two young girls to tire her out.

Some of the ones that came into work were mental though and you could not shut them up!

And i did recently read a list that puts doxies at the top of the 'vicious dog list'.

OT AGAIN:

The most DA puppy in Ernie's puppy class was a daschund. He could not be within lunging distance of any other dogs, which included not only Ernie but a Russian Black Terrier, a Great Dane and TWO amstaffs. The bigger dogs just looked at him as if he were nuts, while the owners cooed and coddled him.

Denali, I've also read that list and discussed it with a dacci owner.. She wasn't impressed..

They're just soooo cute!

Thats what i think the issue is laugh.gif

They are adorable. Esp. the longhaired ones :heart:

Outside dog... I think you need to think of something more independent and quiet than any of the terriers or companion breeds. Something more like a Cocker Spaniel, but I don't think they do being locked outside either. If they are regularly clipped (I know, I know, but this is a pet!) they need very little in the way of brushing.

Hard to find one that ticks all the boxes for you.Whatever breed you get consider letting the dog have access to at least part of the house through a doggie door or have a secure sheltered area so the dog can escape extreme heat and thunderstorms when you are out.

Also consider a short or longer coated breed ;some only need an occasional bath and a weekly brush.

Keep doing you research and look at breeds not just by looks but those that would suit your lifestyle,

perhaps look at a Miniature Bull Terrier or Shiba Inu.

When you say "outside dog" do you mean always or just during the day while you are at work?

I assume that you only mean during the day otherwise you would not be concerned about shedding (btw - some short coated breeds shed like you would not believe!).

I can't think of anything that fits your criteria and wouldn't be able to leap over the fence! Also, bear in mind that many small-medium breeds are top-class barkers or just aren't suited to outdoor life.

I wouldn't get a small dog as an outdoor dog ever.

Agree. As Sandra's said, many of those breeds are hardwired as close companion dogs.

A bit of an out of your question box. but why not talk with reputable, reliable rescues that assess their dogs well in foster-care. And see if they think any available dogs already fit in with the lifestyle factors you've listed. They also assess home provisions like fences appropriate for specific dogs.

Edited by mita

Outside dog... I think you need to think of something more independent and quiet than any of the terriers or companion breeds. Something more like a Cocker Spaniel, but I don't think they do being locked outside either. If they are regularly clipped (I know, I know, but this is a pet!) they need very little in the way of brushing.

Definitely not the cocker. they dont do too well left alone for long periods.