How To Approach Breeders Listing Mature Dogs

McMiffy

When getting Ernie (who at 6 months was considered an older dog lol), I summarised our family, mentioned I'd researched the breed and breeders, how much I admired their dogs and so came to them and then asked about their mature dogs. I asked a certain amount of questions about their advertised dog but only with regard to personality (is he outgoing? Does he like car rides?)

Then I waited for their follow up. I always got one.

The time for in depth questions is as you are both feeling yourselves out. It is a MUTUAL selling process.

I didn't think your questions were too over the top. Just organised.

But my two cents would be to throughly research the breeder. I know a well known breeder who rehomed a young dog without telling the new owners the dog was sick.

Hi everyone

Our youngest child is 3. We also have cats. We think that it might be folly to get a puppy, so we are thinking about a mature dog.

Based on information I have read, I have sent a couple of emails to breeders advertising dogs we are interested in with information about us and our intentions for the dog and have asked in turn about the dog (health screening and the results, if it is desexed, if it is cat/kid friendly, if it has had any training, if it has lived as a member of the family or in a kennel etc) so I know what sort of previous life the dog has had so I can decide if it will be the right dog for us.

I am curious as to why my questions aren't actually answered. I feel that the rescue dogs often seem to have far more information offered about them and their temperament than the mature dogs offered by the breeders.

Also, is it OK to ask why the dog is being sold? Or is that considered a bit rude?

Oh, and one more, if a dog has been used for stud and the breeder says he is still intact, does that mean the dog will be sold without being desexed? I thought dogs had to be desexed if not being sold to a breeder with a licence? Who is responsible for desexing the dog?

Thanks, I thought I had better check with you all because I feel like I might be doing this wrong!

I don't think you are doing a thing wrong. I would want to know these things too.

I have only re homed a couple of older dogs, the eldest being about 18 months. I would like someone who asked these questions & gave info about their home situation & family.

Any responsible breeder would desex the dog before letting it go to a new home but it is not mandatory. Registered breeders with the canine associations don't have to have a licence for a small number of dogs they just join the association for their state & agree to abide by the code of ethics.

Keep trying & you will get replies from a breeder who suits you.Good luck.

I agree. You can bet breeders would want to know a lot about you and your lifestyle if considering you as a potential owner, so I think it works both ways.

I think it shows you're responsible in that you are giving them as much info about yourself as possible in order to see if you will be a good match for the dog.

re being good with cats or not, if the breeder doesn't have them then they genuinely may not know and this is something you will need to assess the possible risks of before deciding on a dog.

Desexing isn't mandatory though I would imagine most breeders would either desex the dog before rehoming or have you sign something to say you will have it done once you have the dog.

Good luck.

I recently had a 3 year old dog looking for a new home. I put all the vital information in the ad, including price, and my general area. I put up a photo of the dog's face, and said there were no more photos, please contact if interested. I said no photos because there are always people who are photo collectors - don't want a dog, just a photo. :D

The best replies said "Hi, i'm xxxx - I would really like a (breed). I have done a lot of research, and know about the grooming requirements (or whatever) and would love to own a (breed). As I have a young child, I think an older dog (with show experience) may be more suitable. I have 800m2 and a 2m fence. The dog would be inside and would be a part of our family. I would very much like to talk to you about this.

Ask them for a phone number and a time to phone. You can ask them all the health stuff then.

I got 11 replies. 4 were very unsuitable - and I told them that (nicely). The others were ok. 2 stood out. Had the things I had asked for, and had experience with the breed. I contacted them by email .... I wouldn't have had the time to supply all health information - and particularly to 11 people - and I would only have supplied that to the person I thought might suit the dog.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it. You have all been very helpful and have helped me understand the process much better. Still looking for that special furry someone to join our family, but feeling confident that the right dog is out there somewhere.

Hi everyone

I don't have a dog - yet - but we are at the 'seriously planning' stage. I am wondering if anyone can give me some insight.

Our youngest child is 3. We also have cats. We think that it might be folly to get a puppy, so we are thinking about a mature dog.

Based on information I have read, I have sent a couple of emails to breeders advertising dogs we are interested in with information about us and our intentions for the dog and have asked in turn about the dog (health screening and the results, if it is desexed, if it is cat/kid friendly, if it has had any training, if it has lived as a member of the family or in a kennel etc) so I know what sort of previous life the dog has had so I can decide if it will be the right dog for us.

I am curious as to why my questions aren't actually answered. As in health checks are stated as done, but no indication if they were good or bad, hip scores not provided even thought they state the dogs have hip scores or they say they 'think' the dog will be OK with cats but they don't know, or will be OK with kids if they don't make sudden movements/shout/act like kids. I am left wondering if I am oversharing about our doggy plans, or asking too many questions - except I really don't think I am. Am I expecting too much information from the breeders? Except, again, I don't think I am. If I am looking to buy a dog that is not a puppy, am I correct to think that the seller would want to answer my questions about its health and life to date? I think that given I expect the dog to be with us until my kids are grown, it isn't too much to ask about health and individual temperament so as to make sure we are all a good match. But then I second guess myself and think "well if I get a rescue dog I won't necessarily have all this information" but to be honest, I feel that the rescue dogs often seem to have far more information offered about them and their temperament than the mature dogs offered by the breeders.

So, my questions is - to those of you who sell your mature dogs - how do you like people to ask about your dog? Am I doing the right thing and just got a couple of odd replies? Is it OK to ask about health and temperament of a dog in the first email? Is it appropriate to discuss the dogs potential new life, or should I wait for you to ask me? If I ask about health tests, when should I expect to be told the results? Is that a follow on correspondence type question? Also, is it OK to ask why the dog is being sold? Or is that considered a bit rude?

Oh, and one more, if a dog has been used for stud and the breeder says he is still intact, does that mean the dog will be sold without being desexed? I thought dogs had to be desexed if not being sold to a breeder with a licence? Who is responsible for desexing the dog?

Thanks, I thought I had better check with you all because I feel like I might be doing this wrong!

I think its great you are asking all these questions, but maybe ring and ask the questions, a lot of questions take a lot of time to answer via email (ie essay), so perhaps an introductory email, and ask or suggest a convenient time to call.

:)

I would love an email like that from anyone wanting a dog from me, some people just don't have time for the long emails... Try calling then on the phone to have a lengthy chat. I don't mind email as I have it on my phone and have access all the time to it.