Feeding Fish

thanks Yonjuro!

I don't think I can give more or bigger bone to mine, as it will cause her constipation. one 4cm wide beef neck will give her white chalky poos for nearly 2 days, I think! at least 2x of pooping time will be hard. Accidently a couple of times I gave her bones within 2 days apart and it gave her bad constipation, to the point I heard her "crying" while pooping.

the only different is if I give her bone during day time while she is home alone, then most likely (90%) she will bury 13 of the bone on my garden and retrieve later on when I am back home. it's like she is saying..look Mum, I save the best for last..here the proof.. :rofl:

if I give her bone at night time while she chews it next to me...not a single piece of bone will be left!

frozen bone...oh yes I gave her too to slow her down. however, too clever! she will drag the bone from her bowl then just leave it on the floor till semi defrost. sometimes she licks it to defrost it faster...sometimes just leave there until 3/4 thawed :rofl:

Hmm...my 5 month old fur baby is teething a lot right now, maybe I should try a whole frozen fish? He seems to be into the frozen things at the moment but not so much with the bony things like turkey necks...fish bones being a bit softer might hit the spot...

thanks Yonjuro!

I don't think I can give more or bigger bone to mine, as it will cause her constipation. one 4cm wide beef neck will give her white chalky poos for nearly 2 days, I think! at least 2x of pooping time will be hard. Accidently a couple of times I gave her bones within 2 days apart and it gave her bad constipation, to the point I heard her "crying" while pooping.

the only different is if I give her bone during day time while she is home alone, then most likely (90%) she will bury 13 of the bone on my garden and retrieve later on when I am back home. it's like she is saying..look Mum, I save the best for last..here the proof.. :rofl:

if I give her bone at night time while she chews it next to me...not a single piece of bone will be left!

frozen bone...oh yes I gave her too to slow her down. however, too clever! she will drag the bone from her bowl then just leave it on the floor till semi defrost. sometimes she licks it to defrost it faster...sometimes just leave there until 3/4 thawed :rofl:

Yeah, it sounds like bigger bone won't help your chomping machine :D I also agree that too much bone is definitely not a good thing. Dunno much about Japanese Spitz but I know that too much bone can bind Zinc and then you can get problems with ZRD (Zinc responsive dermatosis) especially in huskies. If I am giving a meal with a high quantity of bone I make sure I increase the liver and kidney to counteract the hard chalky stools :)

Hmm...my 5 month old fur baby is teething a lot right now, maybe I should try a whole frozen fish? He seems to be into the frozen things at the moment but not so much with the bony things like turkey necks...fish bones being a bit softer might hit the spot...

Yeah a frozen whole sardine would probably be perfect :)

thanks Yonjuro!

Yeah, it sounds like bigger bone won't help your chomping machine :D I also agree that too much bone is definitely not a good thing. Dunno much about Japanese Spitz but I know that too much bone can bind Zinc and then you can get problems with ZRD (Zinc responsive dermatosis) especially in huskies. If I am giving a meal with a high quantity of bone I make sure I increase the liver and kidney to counteract the hard chalky stools :)

I must remember to do this next time Abbey has a big bone.

thanks Yonjuro!

Oh dear...I never think of the Zinc sides. I give her just vegies first (with lots of pumpkin to soften the stool) before she has her bone, thinking this will help with constipation.

I will experiment with liver and kidney next time then. Thanks Yonjuro! :thumbsup:

I feed raw whole fish weekly and fish heads sometimes. I generally feed a whole Sardines daily as part of brekky unless the evening meal is fish :laugh: ... sounds like a bloody restaurant :)

The best policy is to freeze for 3 weeks prior to feeding and then you will have no worries with parasites :-)

Most of the issues with parasites are from fish in the northern hemisphere so I am not too fastidious with freeze times depending on the type of fish.

I prefer fish that are whole and make up one meal - so for my dog it is around a 300g fish.

If I ever buy a fish with a particularly spiny dorsal or other fins I just trim them off. I also generally prefer the non giant fish as there is less likelihood of mercury or other heavy metals being present in any detectable amounts.

Ronins favourite fish of the moment is Rainbow Trout :eek: Which surprisingly is not too expensive compared with most others and if you shop smart :)

What time can the westies and I join Ronin for dinner??!! :eat:

Horrible Herbert is equally hopeful of being invited.

Must make sure to turn off the 'punter or the dog gets delusions of grandeur regarding food.

:rofl:

thanks Yonjuro! I don't think I can give more or bigger bone to mine, as it will cause her constipation. one 4cm wide beef neck will give her white chalky poos for nearly 2 days, I think! at least 2x of pooping time will be hard. Accidently a couple of times I gave her bones within 2 days apart and it gave her bad constipation, to the point I heard her "crying" while pooping. the only different is if I give her bone during day time while she is home alone, then most likely (90%) she will bury 13 of the bone on my garden and retrieve later on when I am back home. it's like she is saying..look Mum, I save the best for last..here the proof.. :rofl: if I give her bone at night time while she chews it next to me...not a single piece of bone will be left!frozen bone...oh yes I gave her too to slow her down. however, too clever! she will drag the bone from her bowl then just leave it on the floor till semi defrost. sometimes she licks it to defrost it faster...sometimes just leave there until 3/4 thawed :rofl:
Oh dear...I never think of the Zinc sides. I give her just vegies first (with lots of pumpkin to soften the stool) before she has her bone, thinking this will help with constipation. I will experiment with liver and kidney next time then. Thanks Yonjuro! :thumbsup:

I think the zinc issue isn't well known outside of huskies and ZRD was something that I am petrified of, so I did some research and found that calcium can bind zinc. Obviously this depends of the levels and the dog in question but suffice it to say too much bone is not good. :)

I feed raw whole fish weekly and fish heads sometimes. I generally feed a whole Sardines daily as part of brekky unless the evening meal is fish :laugh: ... sounds like a bloody restaurant :) The best policy is to freeze for 3 weeks prior to feeding and then you will have no worries with parasites :-)Most of the issues with parasites are from fish in the northern hemisphere so I am not too fastidious with freeze times depending on the type of fish.I prefer fish that are whole and make up one meal - so for my dog it is around a 300g fish.If I ever buy a fish with a particularly spiny dorsal or other fins I just trim them off. I also generally prefer the non giant fish as there is less likelihood of mercury or other heavy metals being present in any detectable amounts. Ronins favourite fish of the moment is Rainbow Trout :eek: Which surprisingly is not too expensive compared with most others and if you shop smart :)
What time can the westies and I join Ronin for dinner??!! :eat:
Horrible Herbert is equally hopeful of being invited.Must make sure to turn off the 'punter or the dog gets delusions of grandeur regarding food. :rofl:

Of course VM, we can have a 'Michelin Star' doggy seafood dinner - Entree will be NZ green lipped mussels, main will be whole trout and dessert will be a half salmon head with salmon roe sprinkles :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what it's like in Oz these days, but in the USA I'm finding that there are various good fish-meal based dry foods on the market. Not too expensive. My dogs love them, results in great luster in their coats, and it's sooo easy compared to dealing with fresh and/or frozen fish. (Now using a salmon based version of ProPlan).

I buy Australian Dried Pilchards by the kilo bag from Loyalty Pet Treats& give 6 each to my dogs every second night on their meal. I was feeding them the dried fish skins, but they have gone off them a bit & instead of eating them, they drag them around all day guarding them & eventually rolling on it :eek: They each get a dried green lipped mussel each night as their special "cookie" for going to bed when asked. Loyalty Pet Treats also make & sell seafood meal toppers along with a whole lot of other dried seafood products. :)

I'm so cheap.

I buy 12 tins of the cheapest home brand sardines for Ernie. He gets them if I'm out of chicken necks.

Hahhaha.. I do this too!

Dozer was getting a frozen fish fillet every now and again from when I bought a big bag of frozen fish on one of my failed health kicks.. He loved them, and they didn't reek up the place like sardines.

I buy Australian Dried Pilchards by the kilo bag from Loyalty Pet Treats& give 6 each to my dogs every second night on their meal. I was feeding them the dried fish skins, but they have gone off them a bit & instead of eating them, they drag them around all day guarding them & eventually rolling on it :eek: They each get a dried green lipped mussel each night as their special "cookie" for going to bed when asked. Loyalty Pet Treats also make & sell seafood meal toppers along with a whole lot of other dried seafood products. :)

Hi Sheena, I had bought several Loyalty Pet Treats products, I had minnow and tuna bites. oh got the meat topper too which smells good! bit pricey though to buy everything plus postage. Hence, if I can fresh products then I can have some, my dog some hehehehe