Quick Vent Re People!

Shakti

I took my new puppy to our local vet last night and there was a puppy pre-school being run at the same time. I was invited to sit in and did for a few moments. My overwhelming reaction was it was like watching an episode of *Married At First Sight* which is problematic enough between two humans but at least if they turn out to be a mis-match one of them probably wont end up in the pound :(

So many good, well-intentioned people (most of them with very young children in this case) with dogs which are just not the right fit for them or their circumstances. I always read the posts where people ask for dog breed recommendations here and most of the advice is well worth listening to - think it should be mandatory for ANYONE wanting to buy a puppy to come on DOL and really get some help PRIOR to showing up at a puppy pre-school with a dog which has been paid for and is already loved and you can see that the match is a disaster waiting to happen.

I am NOT in any way saying that some breeds are just not suitable for families or first time owners etc - just that the people I observed were totally ignorant of the breed-specific traits of their dog and in most cases had chosen puppies whose personalities were not a good match for them either because *It was the last one left* or *The kids fell in love with him* or *We didnt really warm up to the puppy but it was the exact colour we had been hoping for*

I could imagine people from breed-specific rescues going around to all the puppy pre-schools and simply whisking the pups away from the owners who are not going to work out - and swapping them for a more suitable puppy (or a fish or frog if necessary!)

I get what you are saying, but take heart.......

It doesn't always end up as a disaster. If someone had seen me with my first pup I'm sure that they would have had the same thoughts that you do. I was clueless, our house/yard was totally inadequate for what we had taken on and to be frank we were just dreadful owners. Now nine years later I have 4 of the little dudes and have been lucky enough to be offered dogs by a variety of people who breed border collies. (FTR, I haven't taken a dog that I've been offered, I sought out someone with a litter that I particularly wanted a puppy from. ;) )

We also have a guy at our club who is so far out of his depth with a working mix that it is sad, (why a rescue would have given her to me is just beyond me, but anyway....). He's worked incredibly hard over the last few months and is starting to enjoy his dog and see light at the end of the tunnel.

On the flipside I've seen people who in theory are well suited to a dog make a complete mess of it/their life.

It doesn't always end up like you think it might, but yeah, I also see a lot of disasters waiting to happen - for both people and dogs.

I guess, like most things, there is always going to be people that are what they seem or more than what they seem.

I think that some people have good intentions and are very much willing to put in the work required to take care of their little pup. Some people are dedicated but just uneducated - I feel very lucky to have come across DOL as I have learnt so many things that I would have otherwise never know! There will be some people whose lifestyles are simply not fit for a dog or a certain breed. You really never know :) Hopefully most of those pups do have loving accepting breeders to go back to if by any chance the family decides that they aren't fit for them and learn from it.

Edited by nyssel

some people have to make their own mistakes to learn...

When me and my hound did puppy school - one of the other participants I felt really sorry for - a malamute puppy (get huge fast), with lazy teenagers - who clearly did zero training between visits to puppy school and didn't do the thing the vet asked for each time - ie toilet the dog before they came in.

Thanks for the feedback and yes, it has cheered me up a bit. However of the 7 puppies at the class 4 were from petshops and interestingly all 4 were Staffies (3 American and 1 English) I know it doesnt necessarily mean they were impulse buys etc etc but....

Isn't it a damn shame that puppies are so freaking cute??? I could NEVER be a puppy trainer - many of these people listened, nodded and then did EXACTLY the opposite of what the instructor was saying...I mean 180 degrees opposite - would have been funny if the consequences weren't so potentially fatal :(

I used ot teach PPS, I used to teach dog obecience and basic agilty. I now do not teach any of it as I have to keep doing the same stuff over and over and people frustrate the shit out of me and I can't handle it any more.

Arrgh that would frustrate me to tears..

No follow up, doing the exact opposite.. Oso you must have saintly levels of patience.

I was the over prepared puppy preschool pupil that read over the class notes for the upcoming week and made sure Dozer could do that weeks focus at least 90% of the time without distractions, and we'd then work out the kinks in class where there were really interesting things for him to get distracted by.

That said, I don't think Dozer was the right fit for us, and I worked hard and cried many a time. We worked it out, and I love my little snuggle bum.

I used ot teach PPS, I used to teach dog obecience and basic agilty. I now do not teach any of it as I have to keep doing the same stuff over and over and people frustrate the shit out of me and I can't handle it any more.

LOL. Feeling your pain!! Then people get frustrated when you won't let them advance at the rate they think they should.......the scary thing is that these are the good ones who actually have their dogs out and are doing (or trying to do) something with them. :(

My first dog as an adult was a kelpie.

Um, because she was cute and was a pretty brown and tan.

I didn't even know what a kelpie WAS (they aren't a well known breed back home).

Dear Maude, she was so wrong for us.

But I persisted and educated myself and never gave up - even when the Fex wanted to give her up for taking his Hugo Boss shirts off the line, for digging holes in our lawn and for howling the house down.

I put in the work and that dog ended up being an awesome dog. And sometimes I think the ones we have to work hardest with -- are the ones that steal our heart completely.

With all due respect while I do accept that there is some great advice given on the DoL forums I have to say I have also seen quite a bit of what I consider poor advice. Granted people who are buying their puppies from a pet shop or other less than ideal facility most likely are not given information by the seller, however, I would always prefer a puppy I sold or one of my breed came back to me or to the breed club or other experienced breeder of the breed for advice on the breed.

I have seen here people without breed experience give an opinion that directly contradicts that which I as a breeder and owner of the breed for over 40 years would give about my breed.

People slate a person/breeder/etc. for selling on Gumtree but in reality DoL is no different to Gumtree or the Trading Post or any other place to advertise.

Things are not always what they seem and may be these dogs will turn out to be great family companions for these people who have at least made the effort of going to puppy school for what that is worth.

Just a note on one part of my recent experience at puppy school. The session was on grooming your dog. the trainer had apparently been a groomer for many years but told us that combing or brushing your dog deep into to coat was not correct one just flicked the coat. I can only imagine the knots that would be found in an Airedale with this method, let alone a breed with a heavy coat.

How did you know after sitting in on a few minutes of a puppy class that all these people bought puppies that were unsuitable for their lifestyles?

I wondered this too. I had a few people tell me they didn't think it was a good idea to get my Anatolian x and he's perfect for us.

How did you know after sitting in on a few minutes of a puppy class that all these people bought puppies that were unsuitable for their lifestyles?

I wondered this too. I had a few people tell me they didn't think it was a good idea to get my Anatolian x and he's perfect for us.

Me, too.

Could you spell out your actual observations to describe why you gave that conclusion in the 'few moments'? And how you found out the people's 'circumstances'? Your OP gave a conclusion but no evidence.

Don't mean this rudely, just interested.

Edited by mita

I have to admit, on paper we are not a family who should own a high energy retriever, but in reality we make it work really well!

It's an adjustment on both parts, he has grown up with us and our routine/lifestyle and we have made adjustments to suit him as well.

many of these people listened, nodded and then did EXACTLY the opposite of what the instructor was saying...I mean 180 degrees opposite - would have been funny if the consequences weren't so potentially fatal :(

I think this might be a clue that the puppy is in the wrong home, but there's still hope.

My current dog has taught me more than all the dogs I've lived with and trained before her. And there were a few.

I hear you.

But I do think that unfortunately it is a trial by error experience for first time dog owners. When I think of me as a dog owner in my 20's I cringe. wHile I loved my dog so much, now I look back and I know I did not give that dog the best life. But now I know I am a really good dog owner.

I think puppy classes are a great way to plant some important seeds into these puppy owners. Let them know how many resources there are out there, how the amount of effort you put in to the dogs first year will be rewarded a thousand times to you and the dog. etc.

What really makes me sigh is when I am driving down a road and I see some well intentioned person who thinks they are taking their dog for a walk, when in fact the dog is pulling as hard as it can, choking itself in the process, taking the human for a walk. How unnecessary that is.

Edited by Isabel964

LOL. Feeling your pain!! Then people get frustrated when you won't let them advance at the rate they think they should.......the scary thing is that these are the good ones who actually have their dogs out and are doing (or trying to do) something with them. :(

I did pps for 7 years, other levels of dog obedience for around 15years. No more!

Edited by OSoSwift

I also wondered too. Big conclusion to jump to in less than ideal circumstances too. A few minutes conversation at what sounds like the wrong time is not always an accurate reflection of how it is.

Was the puppy school class run in a small room ? If so 7 dogs & some bigger & boisterous pups was not the ideal situation.

Many people get breeds they know little about, many get mongrels & unknown mixed breeds. Many make wonderful owners & learn how to care, train & groom their dogs.

People usually cared for dogs quite well before we had internet forums, all this advice & pedigree dog breeders advised the buyers on temperament for their families. Mongrels were free give aways & working dogs weren't seen so much in the city areas. Much of the breed advice on the internet & by TV personalities is very inaccurate too & given by people who have never even owned the breed.

They get labelled which is so wrong.

On another forum far far away...

someone has just proudly posted how you need to be careful about where you get your puppy from in case it's a puppy mill - and then announced they had gotten theirs from a notorious puppy farm - with a lovely website.

At the moment I can't tell if the someone is just trying to advertise the puppy farm or they believe what they posted. And I've got two choices - request banning - or try to educate them.

There's just nothing on the review websites about these places.

There ought to be "I got my puppy from here, they promised this and this is what has happened and it costs me about 3x the price I paid for the puppy, at the vet every year getting problems fixed up that could have been prevented by the breeder".

So lots and lots of people still think it's ok to get their puppy from a pet shop despite ANKC and RSPCA and others saying it's not.

We need better marketing... to drown the bad guys out.

It's easy to post a bad review of a restaurant - how come there's not the same for puppy farms and pet shops.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket