Quick Vent Re People!

Shakti

It's easy to judge - I'm sure that anyone witnessing me with either of my dogs at puppy school would have said the same. Both of them were a handful, and in fact we had to withdraw our first dog from obedience because she refused to walk with a halti and the obedience school insisted there was no other way. Puppies can be trying at the best of times!

Even though I was the joke of puppy school, neither of my dogs were given up and both matured into the best companions that were/are a big part of my life. They would never rival Lassie for tricks, but they both turned out to be reasonably obedient, easy to live with dogs with wonderful temperaments and no issues.

I don't think you can really tell how well a fit to a person/family a dog is going to be until the dog has matured.

I don't think you can really tell how well a fit to a person/family a dog is going to be until the dog has matured.

I dunno. I think that some people get a dog - get frustrated and give up within a few weeks - and you just know that's going to go to hell, the way Ian Dunbar describes. If the owner is willing to persist through the frustration and keep learning about puppy training - eventually they will get there but the ones that give up... I've got one next door - I feel sorry for that dog. And an obese Doberman across the road who barks at everything that goes by the house... and saw lots of wanna be sled dogs at the park today. Tho for once they understood "bad idea" when their dogs tried to greet mine and politely backed off before my dog went all Hyde monster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=L3rr8Qp5JKQ

And the beagle next door that has been howling non stop since his owners went away Friday at 6pm. And who, since his owners had a baby, has spent his days locked outside, yawping every 10 minutes from dinner time to bed time, asking to be let in. For the past 2 years. Ernie spends some time by himself every day -- but we all knew that taking on another dog meant adjustments to OUR lives, not his. Yes, everyone is the household has to get along and learn the rules but next door? That's just sad.