Dog Ramps (For Cars)

Isabel964

Hi Everyone. I haven't been here in ages and ages. Its good to be back. I need a dog ramp for my elderly Kelpie. She is 14, has weak hips and rear legs, loves life :) I have a 4WD/SUV type car. I'd like something sturdy enough that she feels safe to walk up and down it, and something light enough that it won't hurt my back using it.

I have found the the Solvit Deluxe Telescopic Pet Ramp which seems good. and I can pick one up here in Melbourne in Moorabin which is good.

Does anyone have experience with this ramp, or can recommend a ramp?

Edited by Isabel964

Friend with Neos who lives in Seattle has the deluxe XL model.

Her two older dogs still enjoy going out simply because they have access to the wheels of the family vehicle.

I used the model you mention when it first was made. Simple easy and wonderful for the dogs. Most of the group I meet when I lived in the USA used the ramps for the hunting season. Much easier to " handle" even active dogs.

:)

Oooo good topic :)

I am also thinking of a ramp. I am going to have a look at a Solveit one at Planet Pets in BoxHill tomorrow.

As we do a fair bit of parallel parking and we have a 4wd, , hubby is concerned that the ramp won't be able to extend fully due to the lack of space.

But it won't hurt to see the ramp and make an informed judgement. Hubby is already a trillion percent sure a ramp won't work :)

I took a photo of one of my dogs on the ramp when this came up in the past. As you can see it does stick out a fair bit behind the car.

1znol88.jpg

They are pretty sturdy. Fairly light to pick up but not super light. My main angst used to be were to put it in the car.

Edited by JulesP

I'm another in the market for a ramp. I have sold my little station wagon & am now driving our Land cruiser. I can't lift Sonny up into the back & I never let either of mine jump in & out. In all honesty I open the back Sonny just stands there,waiting,waiting... like hurry up LOL... to be lifted out as he knows my OH always does.

So have been looking at one but it's plastic & while that means it would be light which is very important to me. On the down side I think it may be slippery. So will have a look at the Solve it ones.

Edited by BC Crazy

I'm another in the market for a ramp. I have sold my little station wagon & am now driving our Land cruiser. I can't lift Sonny up into the back & I never let either of mine jump in & out. In all honesty I open the back Sonny just stands there,waiting, to be lifted out as he knows my OH always does.

So have been looking at one but it's plastic & while that means it would be light which is very important to me. On the down side I think it may be slippery. So will have a look at the Solve it ones.

You could always cut up a thin yoga mat and glue on top?

Thanks everyone. This Solvit Deluxe Telescopic one does seem good. Malakita - I would love to know how it goes in Boxhill today.

I don't think a ramp would work in parallel parking because they do need room. Perhaps the dogs could get out earlier, tether them to something while you get back in the car and parallel park? Bit of a pain because you'd have to do that same in reverse to get the dogs back in.

I did spent $95 on a really light plastic one years ago. I still have it but its so light it feels unstable and flimsy and my kelpie won't go near it. If anyone wants it PM me - Im in the South Eastern suburbs in Melbourne. Would potentially work for a smaller dog.

Edited by Isabel964

Well we went to have a look at this ramp. But naturally as I didnt ring ahead and with Murphys Law, the store didn't have one in stock. They had one at their Balwyn store but we didn't have time to go before and after we went out. So maybe Monday.

But the price sounded hefty. Although it is meant to be quite good. She said $440 and I didn't even think to ask the model.

How much is the one you can get in Moorabin?

Just rang up the pet shop to ask about the $449 ramp. For me, it is no good as it is a step ramp. My boy can manage a couple of steps but not more.

Yes I have also seen the Moorabbin one, ? Dogs in Motion price on the Solvit telescopic. Need to do more research :)

I am looking at a ramp as well!

My concern is the width of the commercial ramps (max 50cm) - so this ramp might be an option to make:

ETA:

Beautiful GSD in the vid :)

Edited by lilli

I bought a couple of ATV folding ramps reduced to clear from Masters for $30 a piece a few of weeks ago because I recently bought a Triton which is a fair bit higher than my rodeo was. It's aluminium, so lightweight, and with a capacity of I think 300 - odd kilos, it should be able to cope with my lot! I've got to attach some marine carpet to them so they're a bit more comfortable. They are fairly narrow, so I bought 2, but haven't tried them out with my dogs yet. My sister's kelpie was fine with one,but I couldn't try it with the collie x lab, he's too precious to use ramps and may be lifted. Plus, he's a super lard-ass thanks to my mum, and they're only rated at 300 ish kilos! :laugh: